Customer Discussions > Cats forum

Dust free cat litter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 351 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 11:01:54 AM PDT
zen118 says:
In response to D Masters: I have been considering calling Amazon, as the last few times I have purchased cat food (Diamond Naturals Indoor Formula) and cat litter (Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter), there have been little, tiny flying bugs (smaller than fruit flies) in either the packing materials or in the bags themselves.

I do not know if these little bugs come from one of Amazon's warehouses or their suppliers. While I understand that it may be difficult to keep warehouses that stock grain-based products free of insects, that does not mean that I want them in my home, either! This has only been happening the last few months.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

And, finally, regarding the dust free topic, I always get the Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter, 40 pound bag, and while it does have SOME dust, it is quite minimal, the closest to dust-free that I have found. It is also excellent at clumping and odor control.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 9:18:43 AM PDT
Regarding the bug issue with Swheat Scoop, on another thread it was suggested by someone to use dried bay leaves in both the opened, unused litter bag and in the boxes themselves. You just crumble them up and sprinkle on the litter. It supposedly keeps the pests at bay. I've been using Swheat Scoop for about 5 months now with the bay leaves and haven't had any bug issues. I think the bugs come from where the litter bags are stored on the retail store shelves. I really liked the Swheat Scoop at first but I am now having second thoughts about this brand. I started using it in January when it was cold and the furnace was on 24/7. The air in the house was quite dry as well. Now that it's June and all the windows are open, (not yet humid though), the litter's clumping ability has gone downhill significantly. (This applies to both the regular & multi-cat formulas.) I'm very disappointed to say the least. This stuff isn't exactly cheap either. At $30. per bag, I expect the clumping to be more consistent. And the little pieces that break off and fall through my scoop make the rest of the litter in the box stink a lot sooner than should be expected. I religiously scoop all the boxes at least twice per day. At this price point I would hope to get more than 1 week of use before having to dump the whole thing out. And, I store the unused, fresh litter in a large plastic trash bin with a tight fitting lid to keep moisture and bugs out.
Recently, I have experimented with using cheap chicken feed that is corn based and the make up is quite similar to that of World's Best Cat Litter. (Which is the most expensive litter on the market!) The only difference is the chick feed has added vitamins for baby chicks to grow. I have 4 cats and 5 litter boxes so I replaced the Swheat Scoop from 1 box with a small amount of the chick starter feed to see what would happen. Interestingly, the cats started using it almost immediately and the corn feed actually clumps, stays together when scooped and deodorizes as well. The texture is a little bit coarser than the wheat litter but has very little to no dust to it. And the price is so much cheaper. A large 34lb bag of WBCL is $40.-45. bucks but, the chick starter is between $10-14. for a 50lb bag. Right now I am still waiting and watching it to make sure it doesn't develope any mold since that can be quite toxic to cats when they lick their paws afterwards. (Natural products have their caveats as well.) So far though, it seems to be much drier than the Swheat Scoop litter. This can also go right into the compost bin afterward, scooped of all solid waste.
Has anyone else out there tried this with any long term success??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 9:31:51 AM PDT
I agree about Swheat Scoop. I've used it now for over a year and am eagerly looking for an alternative. It is excellent for dust control, but has so many downsides as detailed in your comments that it makes it even or even under the old clay based Tidy Cats liter.

I have never heard of the chicken feed as a liter, but I would need much more information on the possible toxic issue before I would try it as a replacement. It just seems like a bad idea, but maybe I'm wrong.

About Bay Leaves-sorry, but no. I'm not fixing a product that cost an arm-and-leg to buy yet is full of bugs. It the companies problem to fix not the consumer.

Well, I hope some enterprising entrepreneur is reading this thread because there is money to be made when someone comes up with a good solution to this age old problem.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 9:56:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 8:20:21 AM PDT
I've been to the Swheat Scoop website and read their comments concerning the bug issue. They claim to have a "process" to kill any existing pests on the wheat before being ground into litter and that if consumers still have problems, it must be the fault of the retail stores and possibly their unclean storage practices. Although this is a frustrating and time consuming process, I refuse to ever go back to clay based products. They are the most unhealthy form of litter ever made. They have to strip-mine the earth to get it, the silica dust it creates is seriously unhealthy to breathe for both cats and humans and it NEVER decomposes back to the earth after being thrown out. The compounds used to make it clump, deodorize etc... have made it a menace to the environment.
The company that makes WBCL already had this idea...ground corn as litter. And they charge an arm and a leg and then some for it. That's what chick feed is, ground corn. Anyway, the search continues.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 1:51:41 AM PDT
Lilith says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 1:03:49 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Now I know why we've been having issues with tiny flying insects. I'm glad I've read this thread, it's nice to know where they're coming from: the corn litter. Thanks.

BTW, the poster suggesting the cat flap is an outed troll from another thread. The person is anti-indoor cat. Just FYI, folks.

I thought it would be safe here but evidently not. It's futile to argue with the closed-minded. It causes stress and heart problems, and I already have both in my life already.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 1:40:58 PM PDT
Star Hunter says:
Thanks, I was just going to the store to get some. Lucky I read your post!

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 3:23:45 PM PDT
This post is an UPDATE on using chick feed as cat litter previously posted on 6-7-12. It has been several months now using the chick starter feed and I have to say it is working quite well. There is no dust, it clumps reasonably well and controls odors. I do add a little baking soda to it once a week or so to keep it fresh, just a light sprinkle, and my boxes are scooped at least twice per day. As for the mold issue, there has been none what so ever and it has been a very hot summer, which was the true acid test. So far I am pleased with the outcome of the "experiment". At just $13.00 per 50# bag, I'll continue to use this, at least until something more impressive comes along in the "cat litter world".
For anyone who may be interested in trying this, check out your closest feed store for it and make sure the one you buy is the "non-medicated" type.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 1:05:30 PM PDT
fonts says:
Hi shrinking....how is the tracking with the chick feed? I recently bought a "Booda" litter box and its helping quite a bit. I have been using corn litter for a long time and like it because its lightweight, and easy to scoop. Odor and tracking were my major issues, but with thie "Booda" litter box, there is no odor. I still use the litter mat, and still find a small amount of litter on my hall rug. Wish there was a litter that didn't track so much.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 2:01:03 PM PDT
Pretty much all litters track somewhat, some worse than others, especially the clumping types. (The only type I know that tracks the least if at all is the pellet form. Unfortunately, none of my cats will use the big pellets and I don't care for the cleanup of them, myself. They leave a big, wet, gooey mess.) But the chick feed only gets on the floor just outside the entrance to the boxes. I also, use litter mats at the entrances to catch the litter, then I can pick it up and throw it back into the boxes. I use tall Rubbermaid storage boxes and then I cut out a doorway on one end. One of my cats thinks that "litter hurling" is an Olympic event so this method seems to keep that habit in check. The chick feed texture is similar to the corn or wheat scoopable types of litter but is just slightly coarser & heavier which I think keeps it from getting all over the house. I think the pine litters were the worst on that problem. I have 4 cats and 5 litter boxes so finding a product that performs well and doesn't track everywhere is crucial. All of my boxes are kept in my basement and so far this litter has stayed down there. The other types have been tracked to the rest of the house, even up on the second floor. I did mention the 50# bag in my previous post but it is also available in much smaller quantities too. The first bag I bought, to try it out was 5 or 7 lbs. Enough for one box anyway. If you have an additional litter pan to put out to try it, both for your cat's acceptance and to see how it performs, tracks, etc., try it.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 4:44:53 PM PDT
fonts says:
I am going to try it and thanks for the input. Will let you know how it works out.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 7:32:03 PM PDT
Yes, I will be interested to know how it works for you. Just remember to get the "non-medicated" type. (The medicated form has antibiotics sprayed on it, which you don't want your cats to ingest.)
Good Luck.
SF

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 12:57:40 PM PDT
mowietta says:
i'm experiencing a really problem and what to see if it's happening to anyone else. i use all the different name brands, whatever's on sale so i don't know with which brand i first notieced the problem. but now it's Arm and Hammer scoopable - the cat urine turns the litter to slime and is like glue trying to get out of the pan. when i clean the litter, at least half the pan comes out when you scoop. so today, it's a different kind and the slime is better but it appears the company is make the clumps come out like the size of a small bowling ball -- i think it may be a ploy to have the consumer use a lot more litter. anyone care to comment?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 1:41:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 16, 2012 1:53:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 1:50:00 PM PDT
I actually buy a new litter box when I change brands. Most of the time they are really inexpensive and I buy new ones(three) about twice a year anyway. Once the slick coating wears off it gets really hard to get them completely clean.

I still use SwheatScoop as my litter which is ground wheat straw. It can get gooey or slimy depending on how much it has been used. Also, the sooner after use you happen to clean the box the more likely it will be that the litter is gooey or slimy.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 2:57:49 PM PDT
A. Hall says:
Has anybody used the new Blue cat litter that is walnut shell based?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 3:48:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 3:49:25 PM PDT
fonts says:
I just saw it today at the pet store, and was going to ask the same thing. When and if you try the Blue litter please post how you like it. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 6:16:52 PM PDT
Petsmart sells the Blue cat litter and their website has some reviews of it on the product page.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:08:09 PM PDT
We switched to the walnut based litter from the Swheat, in hopes that it would help our cat's allergies. It didn't. If anything, her allergies are worse, and so are mine. There's black walnut dust everywhere, and when it gets wet, it's dangerous. We've had three near bad falls from the slimey floor just getting a tiny bit of water on it. We're switching back to the Swheat litter.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 9:51:37 AM PDT
Suby6 says:
I have been using swheatscoop for about a year now. I can't see how people claim it to be no or low dust. It's about as bad as cheap clay for dust. We keep it in our small laundry room and use a deep box with no cover. Dust gets on everything in the room! Also the odor control isn't very good as the clumps fall apart so you end up with a bunch of tiny pee soaked parts that just fall through the scoop slats. Not very impressive for the price it costs..

I think I am going to switch back to corn..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 10:08:13 AM PDT
Suby6, I have used SwheatScoop for a couple years now and have many of the same experiences. However, SS is much lower dust than the former Tidy Cats I was using. But, I agree, it breaks up the clumps and does not provide much odor control. Overall, it is the best I have found so far in my 15 years owning cats. This is an opportunity for an enterprising person to invent a litter that: clumps well, is dust free and controls odor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:54:06 PM PST
path says:
I did buy the Blue for Multiple cats even though I have only 1 kitty. The sales rep from Blue was in the store and praised the product ( of course)...It has a funny smell, but not unpleasant. However, it has a very dark nearly black color and even though I have a mat in front of the box the black little kernels where all over my bathroom floor. I have white tile, so it looked really bad. It also doesn't cover the smell to good, I could smell right away when my kitty was usin her bathroom. I just switched from a Booda with steps to one of the open top litterboxes....not sure if that has to do with the smell...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:18:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 11:18:55 AM PST
nysnowbird92 says:
no you're right.. we go through the arm and hammer brand 3 times faster than the other brands.. it's good for being a natural litter but to me it has too much dust and the clumping doesn't last for the length of time you have litter left in the pan.. the clumps break up as you're trying to clean out the pan and the odor filled parts just combine with the rest of the litter making it smell far too early..

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:24:12 AM PST
nysnowbird92 says:
i did a product test on one made of walnut shells and it was the best i've used.. no dust and it clumped well.. odor was kept down for pretty much the entire time we had the litter in the pan..

Fresh step is like a dust storm to use.. i literally take the pan out in the front yard and pour it into it from about 4 feet in the air.. wait for the dust cloud to disappear and then i just sift it with a cup pouring it back into the pan until the dust cloud diminishes enough to be useful inside the house.. it's the only way i can use this litter.. but it does have a smell that sticks to your nose for a long time..

but no litter is as bad as Arm and Hammer Ultra (Ultimate?).. it has a terrible odor that smells up the entire house.. bleachy and chemical smell.. sure it gets rid of cat smells because it covers it over with the aweful smell it has! it goes 3 times faster as you clump far more than needed.. and what doesn't clump falls apart remaining in the good litter, combining the smell..

outside of the natural litters, the one i like the most is the Tidy Cat in the red lid scoopable..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:04:46 AM PST
fonts says:
Hi path.......thanks for your imput on Blue litter. Guess no use to try it. I have an unopened bag of Worlds Best Cat Litter that I'm going to try next. So tired of cleaning up litter all over the place and of course the smell. There just isn't anything out there yet that will stop this. I have tried everything and the best I can do is to put the litter box in my second bathroom in the bathtub. Did this before and it helps a lot.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cats forum (233 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cats forum
Participants:  161
Total posts:  351
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2011
Latest post:  27 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions