Customer Discussions > Cell Phone forum

Buying a cell phone through amazon vs. Verizon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2010 8:12:01 PM PDT
Katrina Lee says:
I want to buy the Droid through Amazon vs. Verizon using my upgrade on my family's plan because it's cheaper. The only concern I have is the final step in purchasing the phone, where you have to choose the special features you want. Obviously I have to choose the data plan, but I would also want unlimited text as well. On the website I would have to pay an extra 10 dollars a month for this, but this is included in my plan that I already have. My only other choice (which I have to make) is the no extra charge per month, pay per text. Would that change my plan? Or would my family plan override that pay per text rule if I choose that to avoid an extra pointless 10 dollars a month?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 10:55:26 PM PDT
M. taleb says:
you do understand that for buying threw here you will not get a warranty after your 30 days thats a new policy that started with them removing the 9.99 on multimedia devices take it from me that had probs with my droid its well worth it to just get it from one of the stores less of a headache and most likely a loss of money if it were to go bad i bought mine threw here and they wont warranty it now. I just returned mine bec. i had service issues they didnt even ask why i bought it from somewhere else they just said it was not from a verizon store so they wouldnt cover it. they knew before i even told them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 5:37:16 AM PDT
Katrina Lee says:
: ( what about the total equipment coverage that i'll be paying each month for?

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 10:19:30 AM PDT
Be aware that Verizon will not help you if you buy the phone from anybody else. I bought my Fascinate from Best Buy and Verizon would not allow me to add tethering ($15 for 5 GB/mo), but instead would only allow me to have "3g Hotspot" ($20 for 2 GB/mo). The bottom line is that Verizon will get it's money out of you one way or another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 5:59:57 AM PST
Camera Queen says:
I purchased a phone through Amazon in September. I contacted Verizon regarding the fact that I wanted to keep my 250 text messages for 5 bucks and that I get a discount on my data plan which was not showing when I tried to purchase the phone and select the special features. Verizon assured me that my "plan" was in their system and that all current features would be carried over, and if there was a problem, that I could easily fix it on Verizon's website. I had no problems whatsoever. I didn't select a texting plan, since the one I had wasn't listed, and it did carry over. In addition, my current discount was applied without an issue. It was a great expereince for me. In addition, after 30 days, any issues with the phone would be handled through Verizion, just like any other phone you would by, if you need to take it in. NOw, I didn't have to do that, but I did call 4 different verizon places and they confirmed this for me. Good luck whatever you decide!

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 6:08:25 PM PST
I would strongly recommend purchase of a Verizon phone through Staples. They are far less wait time to talk with a representative than Verizon store. They have a 14 day return (cancellation policy) and they have a better rebate program and lower initial price. I could not have been happier with the service, helpfulness and price on my new phones (Droid X and Casio Rock, 2 yr. upgrade on both - $50. after rebates. Paid $300 - 150 back from Verizon, 100 from Staples)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 11:39:14 PM PST
I love Amazon, but be careful when buying a cell phone through them. I bought a "NEW" Storn 2 from them and it turned out to be a refurbished phone. I didn't find out until I took it to verizon because it had a problem. Thats when I found out that that phone had been owned before.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 8:31:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2014 8:32:22 AM PDT
AT&T customer here; what's to prevent me from purchasing the phone I want from Amazon and then after installing my SIM card, having the service initiated by AT&T. What does
being eligible for an upgrade have to do with it. I presented this question to an AT&T rep. and just got the run-around on all their great deals and payment options. Thanks for your insights. Charles
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cell Phone forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions