Customer Discussions > Chess forum

Suggestions for 7 yr old wanting to learn chess (Nintendo DS)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2009 5:50:47 AM PST
Monkeytoes says:
My 7-year old son is desperate to learn how to play chess. He is really good at strategy games, and routinely beats me at checkers, even though I am no slouch. My husband and I are not chess players, so we thought maybe we could get him a game for his DS that would help him learn. I don't want him to grow too frustrated, but I also want him to be challenged. I saw that there is a new game (Learn Chess) coming out for the DS just before Christmas, and wondered if it would be better than the other games I have looked at (Fritz Chess for DS, and several multi-game cards that have 50 to 100 card/board games). Has anyone heard anything about the Learn Chess game, and whether it would be appropriate for a beginner? Any input/suggestiopns would be appreciated. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 9:40:54 AM PST
i haven't heard of them, but I would try a search of those (ds) games and try to find some reviews that may offer some insight into them. I am sure though if he wants to learn that those (DS) games will teach the basics, and then some. From there, if he is still interested, I would recommend a beginner chess book, OR youtube.com has chess videos/teaching training lectures on the basics to more advanced, and the people who give them are usually quite good at explaining. Also it is very good for a young person to see/watch how a game of chess is played at the higher level, and can be fun to see it on a tv/computer-visually vs. playing it over on a real chess board via a book. AND its free!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Chess forum (27 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Three D Chess 0 Nov 24, 2013
WCL vs. ICC 2 Dec 30, 2011
Chess with extended castle 5 Dec 29, 2011
Need chess software recommendation 0 Dec 4, 2011
DVD or tape 1 May 1, 2011
Batsford chess books have look inside feature at Amazon UK 1 May 1, 2011
George Treysman? salt shaker rook castling... 0 Mar 1, 2011
Openings 17 Oct 30, 2010
Best chess book for fanatic 18 Jun 3, 2010
fco vs mco vs nco 3 Jun 3, 2010
kings gambit 9 Apr 26, 2010
How can I sell my vintage chess books for their value? 7 Mar 12, 2010

This discussion

Discussion in:  Chess forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions