Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

For the trillionth time, self-promtion is against Amazon TOS!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2012 3:48:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 3:49:49 PM PDT
G. says:
This has been said in so many ways, so many different times on this forum:
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PROMOTE YOUR BOOK ON THIS READER FORUM.

Amazon has only allowed one place for these posts, and here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

If anyone wants the terms of service regarding this, then I will post it. I'm a Mom who comes on this forum to get book recommendations from people who do not have a financial secondary gain. If you have some sort of financial interest, then your suggestion is very biased, and not useful to me as a reader and involved Mom. Please take the spam elsewhere.

ETA: a darned letter!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:33:54 PM PDT
Angela Perry says:
I like Ed's approach over in the KBF. If we start enough real book-related discussions, they will push the crap to the bottom. I'll be happy to help! I have a 12-year-old son who loves to read, and honestly I love reading quality kids' books myself.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 4:18:10 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Hi G,

Came over to de-lurk from the KBF and lend some support ;).

Have been diligently downloading (aka hoarding?) books for the birthday kindles I plan to gift my nieces with in June, so as Angela suggests, will try to contribute positively to the discussions and hopefully work towards overriding the spam.
Would be nice if some of the childrens' authors stuck around for some conversation as well.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 7:47:48 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I'm here, too, trying to help more and lurk less. :)

Hi Mitford13! I wish there were more authors who didn't just spam and take off around here. How do you be a children's author and not love to talk about children's books every chance you get?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:26:09 PM PDT
K says:
I don't think any author who takes the time to post about his book is doing it for financial gain unlesss he wants to make about $2.00 an hour for his time. Authors post because they have a PASSION for their subject matter. I would much rather get my info from the horse's mouth than from someone who may not even be qualified to comment. To each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:58:09 PM PDT
When all the author says is - "Check this out, best book ever" with a link and proceeds to copy and paste this to multiple threads regardless of the subject matter, it is not an author "passionate" about their subject matter. They are spammers and if that is all they can contribute, I will not even look at their book. Instant never buy list.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 10:08:50 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Uh, no. The usually misspelled drive-by missives that G. is referring to in the O.P. have nothing to do with passion and everything to do with people who think the forums are a great place to put up free ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 1:15:17 AM PDT
G. says:
I think a book rec means more coming from someone who has no financial attachment to the book. I would rather NOT get my info from the "horse"; way too much bias.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:16:22 AM PDT
G. says:
Carp! I just noticed that my "rant" thread title has misspellings. Ha ha. Oh well, the intent was there, but the execution was really BAD. Lol.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:53:58 AM PDT
Charmaine says:
It is ridiculous to suggest an author suggests their own book in a forum because they are passionate about the subject of reading. If you are passionate you can think of at least ONE book other than your own. I've posted on many and never mention my own. If you want to talk about your own books, that's what your blog and twitter are for. It's expected there.

Now I just have to say, just finished Rebecca Mead's WHEN YOU REACH ME and wow! It is a beautiful story. My 11yr old is reading it because the protagonist is the same age, I read it and my 14 yr old is reading just because it's such a great story. Loved it (probably just for girls though).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 5:09:50 AM PDT
G. says:
Thanks Charmaine. What a reasonable post!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 5:13:03 AM PDT
Gean Penny says:
As a children's book author who has made the grave mistake of self promoting in the customer discussions, and since the Meet the Authors area is so sparse, I thought I might reach more author's if I posted this link here. Perhaps readers who are offended by the self promotion could re post the link and it would help cut down on the amount of anger and shame and blocking running through the boards.

The best way to promote your work is to get involved. I am in no way related to, nor do I know this person; I just found the article while looking for ways to market. As a writer, I don't understand the business end, but I am certainly willing to learn, and have learned a great deal about it recently. Here's the link for a really great article:

http://www.spacejock.com.au/MarketingYourBookOnline.html

Please accept my apologies, readers, for both having made the mistake of self promotion and for honing in on your discussion area. As a teacher and an author, I do have more to offer discussions than just sales tactics. Sometimes I make mistakes, but I am always happy to learn from them. That's what I always taught my students, too. Thanks, Gean.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:14:03 AM PDT
Thanks, Charmaine! I've met many wonderful authors on Amazon, and I have bought quite a few of their books, but every one came here to discuss books, not themselves, and that was the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:15:15 AM PDT
Gean - you are more than welcome to discuss, just follow the Amazon TOS.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:56:44 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Hi Gean,

Lots of authors make the mistake at first, but those who stick around and listen and then join the discussion are welcome anyway, I promise. :) Hang around long enough, and you'll see why some of the drive-by spam makes everyone seem a little grouchy at first.

It's actually a friendly place if you really want to participate. So, welcome! I'm a teacher and an author, too, btw.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 2:27:54 PM PDT
Miss M says:
I can definitely understand an author (especially for children) wanting to share information about their work - unfortunately as Teacher Mommy and G. point out, so much of the time that's not what happens. Spammers drop a line into an already existing conversation, don't engage, and never look back. It's ugly & rude, and for what it's worth amazon did something about it and authors just plain old need to respect that. Personally, I really wish amazon would put individual "Meet Authors & their Books" sticky threads at the top of each genre forum - seems that would provide a much better discussion opportunity than the free for all MOA forum...but amazon seems to be sticking to their guns with the MOA.

Gean, I have seen some great posts like yours in the Kindle Book or Romance forums, where authors first come on strong without realizing what the TOS are, but stick around and become a fun part of the conversation. Of course children's book authors would/should have lots to contribute here!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 2:34:37 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Charmaine,
"When You Reach Me" was awesome! I picked up the "recommendation" when my 12 yr old niece posted it on her Facebook page (think that kind of surprised both of us :). Usually it's me doing the book gifting/suggesting. That whole time period of NY in the 70's had a lot of resonance for me & my own "coming of age"...

Sadly, she and her sister are not so hot on my love/recommendation of Enid Blyton's boarding school stories...guess Harry Potter is much more up to date in that area...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 3:16:00 PM PDT
Charmaine says:
Gean,
We all make mistakes when new to sites and forums anywhere. Mistakes are welcome :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 6:30:00 PM PDT
K,

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you wrote? Exactly what qualifications does a reader need in order to comment on a book? I'm sincerely hoping that you didn't intend to be as condescending as the comment sounded.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 6:31:24 PM PDT
:) Agree totally!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 6:37:23 PM PDT
Gean,

I think you will find that most posters are understanding about a simple mistake. It's the authors who argue, whine, and generally make themselves unpleasant that present problems for us.

Don't be a stranger. We are a lively bunch who love to talk about books and life in general.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 4:31:24 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Just a nudge to the top...
Your reply to Miss M's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 5:47:19 AM PDT
Good morning everyone! Where's the coffee?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 11:54:26 AM PDT
G. says:
Hi Janet:
I have coffee. Where are the doughnuts ;).

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:02:44 PM PDT
Hmmmmm Donuts! Do you have Krispy Kreme donuts where you are? They are the best! Yeasty, light, fluffy, and delicious. They even flash a neon sign when they've just come out of the oven. Try driving down the street and ignoring the red, flashing neon sign blinking "HOT" over and over. Impossible!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  89
Total posts:  1336
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions