Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Books for 9yr old girl that aren't boy crazy?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 244 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2011 6:10:07 PM PST
S. Tavera says:
I am having a hard time finding books for my 9 yr old that don't mention boys/boyfriends. Can you help?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 6:14:10 PM PST
My daughter is 9 and she really enjoys the Junie B Jones series, Joody Moody series, There is a cool book that is actually expression the artist side where the kids doodle... called "Do you doodle" by Nikalas Catlow. She has also read the series of Rainbow Magic The weather fairies books. Off the top of my head one is called "Goldie The sunshine fairy by Daisy Meadow

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 7:08:16 PM PST
Sharon2 says:
Hi S. Tavera,
I think your daughter might enjoy the 'Barky' books I have written. They feature two, nine year old cousins, Becky and Quentin, and their beagle dog, Barky. Becky is more of an outdoor kind of girl. She loves ants and animals.
There are six books in the series but each book can be read alone.
The kids have adventures on their grandparents' farm. The books are down to earth with learning and fun mixed together.
Sincerely,
Sharon Schenbeck

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 4:24:32 AM PST
Try the Mole Brothers Magnificent Mission. It is a good read that teaches family values and the importance of the environment.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:17:33 AM PST
DD67 says:
NOt sure what reading level you are referring to ,I will assume she can read 4th grade level books well.

Jean craighead george, My side of the Mountain trilogy
On the run series, by Korman
boxcar children series
the fire Within by D'Lacey
animal Ark series by baglio
Baglio also has a dolphin series.
dick King-smith animal stories
Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery by Deborah Howe
Mrs. Piggle wiggle

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:24:11 AM PST
Amy Smith says:
The Borrowers
Snow Treasure
Indian in the Cupboard
Secret of Nimh
Understood Betsy
Gone-away Lake
The Saturdays
The Four-story Mistake
The Black Stallion

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:25:37 AM PST
Amy Smith says:
Don't forget non-fiction (animal books, nature books, biographies).
The Childhood of Famous Americans series is great.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:27:29 AM PST
Amy Smith says:
The Little House books (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
The Chronicles of Narnia (C S. Lewis)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:30:47 AM PST
Have you tried the weird school books by Dan Gutman? I was having a hard time getting my 9 year to read anything, but she absolutely LOVES these!

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:58:58 AM PST
Wayward says:
There are quite a few!
The Clementine books
The Just Grace books
The Piper Reed books
Puppy Place series by Ellen Miles
My Side of the Mountain (about a boy, but he doesn't 'like' girls)
Amelia's Notebook
Bunnicula
Wayside School
B is for Betsy
The Russel and Elisa books by Hurwitz...

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:40:02 AM PST
Butch! says:
Willow Crossing by Rhodora Fitzgerald is a newly released book that is perfect for young girls who aren't boy crazy. It's a great read. She will love it...
Willow Crossing

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:48:09 AM PST
Recommend you try The Happy Hollisters series. These mystery/action adventure books were the #1 sellers in the 1960s and 1970s to the 7-11 age group. Newly reissued in paperback and eBook (Kindle and Nook), The Happy Hollisters are clean, wholesome fun. Your child will be thrilled with the fast-paced action and will not want to put the book down.The Happy Hollisters

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 10:25:11 AM PST
Take a look at The Shack, Merry And A Cat Named Cha-moan. It's a beautiful story for people of all ages.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 11:25:53 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 28, 2011 11:42:31 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:37:03 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 17, 2012 10:52:05 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:40:02 AM PST
nickname says:
Here are some recommendations based on books I liked at that age and other kids in my family liked. (The list assumes she is a fairly good reader or that you will be reading these aloud to her.)

I would recommend "Misty of Chincoteague," " Stormy, Misty's Foal," and "Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry. There are good books, don't focus on boys, and have a brother and sister in them who get along. They are about horses, but no horses die which is a nice change from other horse books.

Another awesome series is the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series. They are a series of short self-contained stories about kids who have annoying habits that get fixed. For example, a boy who never cleans is room gets trapped in his room and finally decides to clean it when a parade is in town. They are very humorous.

The original American Girl series were good. (E.g. Meet Felicity: An American girl or Kirsten learns a lesson: A school story) They are about young girls in a historical time period, and the focus in the ones I read were about growing up, not about boys. They, like my other recommendations, would be age-appropriate.

I know a nine-year-old who really likes the Little House on the Prairie series. If your daughter likes historical stories, the series is really good. I would say maybe the first three of the series would be best for her age.

"Babe: The Gallant Pig" and "Ace: The Very Important Pig" are fun books about very smart pigs. Very funny books, and I really liked "Ace" growing up. "Ace" is a pig who can understand humans.

They might be a little bit too serious or intense for a 9 year-old, but "The Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess" were two of my favorite books growing up. (The intensity comes from parents dying and the girls having to take care of themselves in a new situation.)

"The Twenty-one Balloons" is a book my brother (aged 8) is in love with. It is about a man who flies a hot air balloon and lands on a funny island where people live off a diamond mine. A volcano erupts and everyone is fine, but them having to leave the island might bother a sensitive kid.

The Pippi series by Astrid Lindgren is about a girl who lives alone, is stronger than grownups, and has a pet monkey and horse. She does things like tell fabulous lies and get in trouble, but she means well and the stories are full of silly adventures.

If she likes animals, she might like "Owls in the Family" by Mowat. It's a book about his pet owls while growing up. I remember there is a scene with bullies who drink and possibly smoke, but that might not bother you.

Roald Dahl wrote really fun books. Some of them (like the BFG) might bother a sensitive 9 year-old, but I'd say "Danny the Champion of the World" and "Esio Trot" are perfect books for that age.

Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 5:57:44 PM PST
Your 9 year old would enjoy both Gabriel's Magic Ornament and Widgus World, written by Randall Bush.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:43:52 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 31, 2011 9:02:08 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 10:43:06 PM PST
UGAFan30 says:
Try her out on classics, such as:

The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne of Windy Poplars, Anne's House of Dreams, ... Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside)
The Complete Little House Nine-Book Set
The Boxcar Children Bookshelf (The Boxcar Children Mysteries, Books 1-12)
The Secret Garden

My 8yo niece likes Ivy & Bean's Secret Treasure Box (Books 1-3). I haven't read all of them, but I don't think they're boy-crazy books. And Disney makes several collections of their stories. My nieces love Disney Storybook Collection (Disney Storybook Collections).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 11:00:58 PM PST
Patrice Pen says:
You might want to try The Many Adventures of Pengey Penguin by John Burns. This is a very well written chapter book[[ASIN:0977422704 The Many Adventures of Pengey Penguin] that really talks about friendship and the values of friendships that last.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 11:03:10 PM PST
John Burns says:
It sounds like your daughter is still enjoying her wonder years. Try The Many Adventures of Pengey Penguin. It's an action adventure story but it's not about a bunch of penguins hanging out in Antarctica. There are 50 five star reviews on Pengey and it will become a treasure for her and a The Many Adventures of Pengey Penguin family keepsake.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 12:52:28 AM PST
Farmer boy says:
Try some books by Andy Frazier. His series about Princess the Cow are ideal for that agegroup, and very funny.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Andyfrazier
Cow Factor

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 3:26:10 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 3:27:17 AM PST
Good Choices. Gerry

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 6:02:14 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 11, 2011 4:54:27 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  192
Total posts:  244
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions