Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Good Series for Children

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2012 5:00:44 PM PST
My favorite series is Little House on the Prairie. I still think that's an excellent series for children to read because it is fun and it always teaches a lot about the time period Laura was growing up in.

For younger children, I love the George and Martha books by James Marshall. (I actually like anything by James Marshall. His books are so funny.)

The Frog and Toad Collection Box Set (I Can Read Book 2) are wonderful, too. I so wish there were more than four.

What are some other series that would be good for young children or older children?

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 10:43:06 PM PST
Anne of Green Gables : Three in One Set : Complete and Unabridged : Anne of Green Gables : Anne of Avonlea : Anne of the Island

There are quite a few books in this series. Start with book one to get the full appreciation of Anne's life.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 10:43:51 PM PST
Forgot to mention The Boxcar Children: The Boxcar Children Mysteries #1. This is a really fun series.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:46:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 7, 2012 12:15:21 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:39:42 AM PST
Wayward says:
For young children, we always loved the Lilly books by Kevin Henkes :P

Chapter book series: B is for Betsy by Haywood is one of youngests (now 10) favorite all time series. I like the Betsy Tacy books, and Anne of Green Gables, and the Half Magic series.

My kids loved the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books; the Sophie books by Dick King Smith and the Wayside School books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 11:52:15 AM PST
I loved those as a kid. I think mine is almost ready for them.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:55:40 AM PST
The Complete Wizard of Oz Collection (With Active Table of Contents) I read all of the books in the OZ series. I loved them. Some are definitely better than others, but I did enjoy them.

The Chronicles of Narnia I loved most of these books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 3:45:51 PM PST
G. says:
From a previous rec on this fora, I bought the Frog and Toad books for my six year old and she loves them. Another series she really loves is the My Weird School series:
Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School (Pb))
For some reason, this series makes her laugh like a maniac. I love it!

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 3:13:20 PM PST
Poppleton I just love this little pig and his friends. This is really suitable for young children, but as you can tell, adults may just enjoy it, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:36:49 PM PDT
I recommend this series, The Magic Driver.It's the first in the series and hopefully the author, Jason T. Ross, will have the second one soon. It's a fun read for my nephews and nieces.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 6:16:02 AM PDT
insanity! says:
We enjoy the A Kiss for Little Bear - Little Bear series (which was also one of my favs as a child). She loves the Dinosaur Cove series (by Scholastic), A to Z Mysteries Super Edition 1: Detective Camp (A to Z Mystery), and Magic Tree House #1: Dinosaurs Before Dark.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:19:26 AM PDT
G. says:
@insanity:
Thanks for some legit/good recommendations (as opposed to the self-pubbed spam that has been sprinkled throughout this thread).

I keep looking at the A to Z mysteries and I think I will buy some of them once my daughter gets through some more of the series she is reading now. ;)

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:21:16 AM PDT
i really liked the American Girls series growing up, because they covered all different time periods - of course the dolls were a bonus ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 4:26:33 PM PDT
My nieces (ages 8 & 10) both love the American Girls series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 6:02:44 PM PDT
i'll readily admit I still have my Samantha doll and I added Josephina to the collection a couple of years ago ;) there is an american girls store in the DC area now that I want to check out...but I need to find someone with a daughter that I can "kidnap" for a day to go

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:57:26 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Ah, The Boxcar Children. FANTASTIC series, especially the early books by the original author. I fell in love with them as a child after my mom told me that was HER favorite book when she was younger. I did that one most years with some of my higher-level second grade reading groups, and still, all these years later, there would be kids who loved it and continued right on through the rest of the series.

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 8:06:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 26, 2013 8:17:02 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 5:44:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 12, 2013 5:44:32 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions