Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Daily Book Talk: Books That You Love More Than Your Kids

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2012 10:23:10 AM PDT
I enjoy reading Middle School and YA books. Since this forum is geared more to the Children's books rather than YA, I was wondering if anyone had any Mid School, tween or younger books that they are reading now or are looking forward to reading that have nothing to do with vetting them for your own kid's reading pile.

I'm looking forward to The Broken Lands by Kate Milford - a MG series; I loved the first book and can't wait for the next one. Also, I want to read the next Kat book by Stephanie Burgis. Both series are still above my kids' reading level, but I am saving them for them to read later.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 5:24:42 PM PDT
ALso - my children want nothing to do with Harry Potter right now. I think the main problem is they saw commercials for the last movie, and yes, it is way above their level. However, they could deal with the first books. So I'm still holding on to my copies. :)

I also like the Percy Jackson books, and I'm looking forward to Sarwat Chadda's Ash Mistry series (a MG series similar to a Percy level, but dealing with Indian mythology). I really like books that introduce different mythologies other than Greek/Roman, etc. I still enjoy Greek/Roman myths, but I am ready for myths from other areas of the globe.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 6:13:34 PM PDT
villager says:
Gosh, I can't think of any book I love more than I love my kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 8:20:05 AM PDT
Haha - No, Books you love more than your kids do. :P Yes, I'll add Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation to my TBR list. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 12:50:16 PM PDT
I love The Giving Tree more then my kidlets do. When I read it they say "but Mom we don't like it, it's TOO sad!". It made me a bit sad as a child as well, but I still found the message in the book to be pretty awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 4:33:49 PM PDT
Yeah, that is a good one. SO bittersweet. I'm ashamed that I haven't bought any SHel Silverstein yet for the kids. **parent fail** need to fix that soon.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 9:31:39 PM PDT
I am reading The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester right now. It's very well written and so much fun.

Some other amazing younger books I've read recently (that my child isn't interested in yet) have been The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series, Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, and The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls.

I've been reading 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear aloud to my 8yo and while she loves reading it together, it's not one she would pick up on her own.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 5:34:04 AM PDT
Kindle-aholic!!! :)
Where the Sidewalk Ends?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 5:35:45 AM PDT
@UCB: I like your book suggestions. The Girl Who Could Fly looks like a wonderful book. I may just have to get this today. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 8:40:30 AM PDT
That or A Light in the Attic. I gots some book shoppin' to do. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 8:41:18 AM PDT
The Girl Who Could Fly looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the rec!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 10:04:11 AM PDT
Wayward says:
For mythology; have you read Runemarks? Loved it. My tween who could appreciate it just doesn't want to read it. :-(
I also loved the Theodosia books, though neither kid really did. And I enjoyed the first two Oracles of Delphi Keep books.

There's actually quite a few YA books I've read that the kids haven't gotten to yet...It started out as checking them for appropriateness and interest and tuirned into a passion.
I started reading Betsy Tacy with my youngest, but continue even though she lost interest. I'm stuck trying to think of more, just mythology is coming to mind now that it was mentioned...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 10:34:11 AM PDT
Runemarks looks good too. Thanks for the recs!

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 11:08:19 AM PDT
Maybe these don't count since they're YA, but I'm reading the Mother Daughter Book Club series (very gently) before gifting them to my niece for her birthday. I ordered them for her, but they just looked like too much fun to pass on unread :).

She also recommended 'When You Reach Me' to me, but I think I ended up more excited about it than she was since that age of Manhattan in the 70's was more my timeline...

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:21:31 AM PDT
Abigail says:
My mom read so much to us growing up that now as an adult, I still have a passion for children's literature. I recently read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and couldn't put it down. Another book I still love even though I'm an adult is The Toothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill. I've written reviews for both books and more here: http://larsenreviews.org.

The Toothpaste Millionaire

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 4:25:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 4:26:36 PM PDT
D. Amos says:
Have you read Rotters? I just finished it & it gave me nightmares! Lol. It was like a teen Stephen King of old... It's a YA book, but truly a great hair raiser.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 4:34:09 PM PDT
I've heard of it but haven't read it yet. It's another I'll have to look into more. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 10:12:24 AM PDT
jnstar says:
I'm reading Grace Lin's Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. BEAUTIFUL! It's a combination of adventure/fantasy/Chinese folklore/morality and it has a strong female protagonist. I enjoy reading everything Grace Lin writes. A second author/illustrator I'm enjoying a lot lately is Maira Kalman: What Pete Ate from A to Z, and her illustrated versions of Food Rules and The Elements of Style.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 12:18:54 AM PDT
FictionFan says:
Um, I love my kids a lot more than any books!

But I do love Dr Seuss a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 1:28:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 25, 2012 9:34:41 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 1:29:23 AM PDT
Amy Harmon says:
OOOh definitely will have to check this one out!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 9:49:32 AM PDT
Wayward says:
Graceling was okay for 12 and up...but not Fire. Maybe 14? It's been awhile since I read it but dd was 12 and her friends were reading Graceling. Which I thought was a read together type book; based on the ideas it presented. Then we read Fire and dh and I agreed it was something to steer her away from at that point.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 12:01:46 AM PDT
Amy Harmon says:
I agree - Fire was a little old for twelve. I let my daughter of fifteen read that one - but didn't recommend it to my students. There isn't anything questionable in the other books by Amy Harmon. I also love Robin Mckinley - and there is a great series or collection of books - can't remember the author, it's been a while, but it seems like one was called The Princess and the Hound or something or other? Help me out, somebody. They are magical. I'll find out and get back to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 12:03:47 AM PDT
Amy Harmon says:
My mom used to read us this hilarious series called "The Great Brain." Anyone remember those? I wonder if they're out of print....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 1:09:57 AM PDT
The Great Brain (Great Brain, Book 1)

I have never heard of these books, but they really look interesting.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Can't remember the name; childrens book with dinosaurs 2 5 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 50 9 days ago
Looking for a book about a man who keeps patching his clothes with other parts of his clothes. 0 10 days ago
Looking for Sarah & Can-do children's book 1 21 days ago
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 Jun 16, 2016
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 Jun 9, 2016
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 Jun 6, 2016
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 May 30, 2016
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions