Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

picture books that teach social skills

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2008 7:34:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2008 7:34:48 AM PST
I am looking for some ideas on good books to teach my children (3,4 and 6) social skills. My daughter is almost 5 and soaks up what she hears in picture books. We read together "Please is a good word to say" and already I am noticing far more use of "please" and thank you" in her interactions. I would like something similar or aimed at slightly older kids that teaches about sharing, taking turns and being a good friend. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 8:35:25 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 9, 2009 10:29:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 8:47:26 AM PST
Take a look at the book titled The travels of Kui the african spurred tortoise. This book points out the importance of family and friends. When the animal meet each other they do so with dignity and respcet. It stress the point to say thank you to those that have helped you and show how the encouragement from friends can provide the strenght for one to seek out there adventures. What has sparked other childrens intrest in ths book is Kui is areal pet tortoise that now lives in Hawaii.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 9:42:15 AM PST
My book A Dragon's Birth does that. It teaches our children to think about others with the help of a magical dragon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 10:10:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2008 10:15:19 AM PST
How wonderful that your daughter is soaking up all that picture books have to offer!

You might consider these also:
HOW TO BE A FRIEND by Laurie Krasny Brown and Marc Brown
SHARE AND TAKE TURNS by Cheri J. Meiners (she has a whole series on getting along with people)

I like these stories for their role models of good friends:
NOTHING SCARES US by Frieda Wishinsky (many people enjoy this at my presentations)
BEING FRIENDS by Karen Beaumont (popular at my most recent parents' workshop)
I LIKE THE WAY YOU ARE by Eve Bunting (also popular at my parents' workshop)

I hope this helps.
Jacqueline Golding, Ph.D.
Author of HEALING STORIES: PICTURE BOOKS FOR THE BIG AND SMALL CHANGES IN A CHILD'S LIFE

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 11:04:25 AM PST
Bob says:
Herbie the Erbie - What Are These Things Called Feelings? is a great picture book that gets children to interact and open up and talk about feelings and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 9:33:37 AM PST
You might want to check out my picture book about sharing, MINE! MINE! MINE! (Sterling Publishing) illustrated by Hideko Takahashi. I've had a lot of good feedback on it from parents and teachers.

Shelly Becker

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 8:03:03 PM PST
Carol Gray's Social Stories books are excellent teaching tools. Though primarily aimed at the autistic audience, these books are good for neurotypical readers as well. Readers are encouraged to draw their own comic strips of how they feel; how they interact and the expected reactions of others. Great for any age!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 12:59:32 PM PST
K.Meyer says:
The Berenstain Bears books are great! The stories are wonderful and there are SO many to choose from...manners, chores, telling the truth, trouble with frirends, strangers, teasing, the list goes on and on. You will be very happy with these books. I have a 6 year old son, and we love these stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 1:04:42 PM PST
My 3 1/2 year old LOVES the Little Critter series by Mercer Mayer. The lessons are very subtle & you may have to discuss the "moral" of the story after you are done.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 3:10:34 PM PST
Dana Lehman says:
Hello,
I wrote a children's picture book titled Adventures at Walnut Grove: A Lesson about Teasing. The story is about Sammy, a squirrel, that gets teased because he has eyes like a raccoon. Sammy knows that name-calling is not nice but his friends have a valuable lesson to learn. The name-caller soon becomes the one being teased. Adventures at Walnut Grove is about friends that learn to treat others as they would like to be treated.

My next book titled I DOUBLE Dare You! will be available in May. In this story, Silly and Sassy come to Walnut Grove to visit their cousin Sammy. Silly and Sassy are always getting into trouble. They play hide 'n seek, have frog races, and play dare or double dare. How does this lead to jumping off a bridge? Read I DOUBLE Dare You! to find out how everyone learns to take responsibility for their own actions. They will also learn that it's not always wise to follow your friends.

My next book will not be available until 2009. It will be about how you can do anything if you believe in yourself.

All my book are for ages three and up.

Please check out my reviews on amazon, or if you are interested my website www.lehmanpublishing.com

Thanks and good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 6:32:10 AM PST
E. Schroeder says:
Fits like a glove... Joy Wilt Berry "Ready-Set-Grow" award winning series, wonderfully and memorably illustrated. You'll find a number of these collector books in my Amazon.com store: Nobody's Bizness. http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/index.html?ie=UTF8&itemsPerPage=24&sellerID=A245TOUGVP8BYK&totalPages=6&sortBy=StartDateDesc&page=1

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 12:59:44 PM PST
Aviva Lynne says:
"Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a good choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 11:55:43 PM PST
marlaine says:
Try "Together" by jane Simmons. "Bear Feels Sick", "Bear Feels Scared," "Bear's New Friend" by Jane Chapman and Karma Wilson. The"Frog and Toad" books by Arnold Lobel are wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 7:42:25 AM PST
Kate Coombs says:
I think sometimes getting books where characters work out their social problems is actually helpful, so I'm thinking of Kevin Henkes's wonderful picture books about little mouse kids, e.g., Sheila Rae the Brave, Owen, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, etc. But the classics which are specifically about manners are, happily, back in print--Sesyle Joslin's books, What Do You Say, Dear? and What Do You Do, Dear? They are very funny and memorable and are illustrated by Maurice Sendak, to boot. They would appeal to a 6-year-old, I'm sure!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 11:47:24 AM PST
I'd recommend The Legend of Barknight--a tale of how an average dog named Salty breaks the spell of selfishness that bewitches humans. By enlisting the help of all the world's dogs, Salty changes the hearts of people forever. It's a story about determination, cooperation, and faith that creates Barknight--a long overdue holiday where people can give special thanks to our dogs, as well as all of the pets that keep us company and warm our lives.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 7:07:43 AM PDT
James says:
Sock 'n Boots - Share

May I suggest "Sock n Boots-share." The characters are unique and the stories teach easy to understand lessons.

checkout www.socknboots.com for more reviews.

From what I understand, this is the first book in the series. It is very colorful and appealing to little eyes and growing minds.

Take a look at the reviews.

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 11:01:41 AM PDT
How about mine? A Thief in Sunnyside! The story has themes of forgiveness, being helpful, and doing the right thing.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 7:35:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 21, 2010 2:39:46 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011 12:17:33 AM PST
The Jewel Collar I would recommend my ebook. It will be available shortly in softcover. It is a story set at Christmas about a Maltese dog, Aristotle, who moves from his old home at the beach and misses his garden friends such as the Squirrels, Paul the Possum, the Sparrow Family and others. His Mommy gives him a Jewel Collar as an early present to cheer him up. He decides to share the jewels on his collar to make new friends and meets Steve the Squirrel, Mr. & Mrs. Morning Dove, Hannah the Hummingbird and other animals. The lesson to be learned is that new friendships can be made when a child moves way from an old neighborhood to a new one and although the jewels from his collar were appreciated the new friends were happy to be his new friends without a gift. The book is 72 pages with 70 full color pictures. The print version upcoming is an 8 x 10 book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 6:44:29 PM PDT
P. Helling says:
Head Over Blue Heal: The Story of Rita Rumble is one to consider. It's the story of a young girl and her one blue shoe. Rita puts her faith in the red shoes style of the day and quickly learns humility when the heel breaks at her party (flipping her life upside down). She once again finds her blue shoe under all the trappings of the day and then learns from Blues soul what life is really about. This is a very simple story that we can all relate to. The metaphors that are used will allow the story to grow with your child. The website is www.ritarumble.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 7:35:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 30, 2011 12:59:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 7:54:17 PM PDT
Hands are not for Hitting
Feet are not for Kicking

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 8:09:57 PM PDT
For an entertaining, amusing teaching tool, try this book for ages 5-8 and as a read-to for the younger age group.
The Adventures of Boots: The Giant Snowball

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 9:06:25 PM PDT
I am looking for a children's book that teaches a six year old to be a leader not a follower. I am also seeking a book that teaches him it is okay to play alone. He is the only child and he does not understand why he does not have a brother or a sister.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 6 days ago
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 19 days ago
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016
Exciting New Children's Books 22 Apr 6, 2016
Mamas Love Boogers - A childrens book everyone can get a smile out of 0 Apr 4, 2016
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 34 Apr 3, 2016
Looking for "Quacky the Duck"-1950 1 Mar 30, 2016
List of titles from 1950's Weekly Reader Children's Book Club 96 Mar 28, 2016
Easter books for children- Post your favorite! 0 Mar 23, 2016
Kindle Books for a 3rd grade boy 44 Mar 14, 2016
Children's Books of the late 50's & early 60's 6 Mar 4, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions