Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Looking for books for a 7yr old boy with above average reading skills

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 12:19:48 AM PDT
SatyaVrais says:
I am looking for books for me nephew. He loved reading when he first started, but is starting to taper off a lot. He is also starting to have trouble in school with behavior issues and emotional. I am looking for books that might help him work through family problems, like not seeing his Mom anymore and moving a lot. As well as books that would teach him to share and not always get his way, this is a serious issue!! He is curious all the time and is too smart:) so he corrects his teacher in class! Any suggestions would be awesome!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 6:22:40 AM PDT
jnstar says:
I'd start with Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
She also wrote Alexander, Who's NOT (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 9:18:41 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:21:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 11:23:35 AM PDT
jnstar says:
ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This forum has been dying a slow, painful death because of the continuous self-promotion by certain authors.
DAVID COTTRELL- are you really unaware that your self-promotion is PROHIBITED on this site? Read some of the other threads if you don't believe me.
When I saw SatyaVrais's question I thought, "Well, it seems genuine. I'll give it a try and see if I can come up with some helpful suggestions."
Now I'm left thinking, "Here we go again; why did I bother?"
FIND A MORE SUITABLE WAY AND PLACE TO PROMOTE YOUR BOOK!
And, SatyaVrais, good luck in your search.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 3:28:37 PM PDT
cathyr says:
My 6 yo is reading "diary of a wimpy kid".

But really, what you want, are books that'll inspire him to read. Even comics. Superman, Spiderman etc (if you can find ones for his age group) allow you to think you can be *more* and your life can be *better*. They do also emphasise caring for others, and making the best of what is going on around you. And once you have the reading bug, it's hard to give it up *grin*.
Superman Classic: I Am Superman (I Can Read Book 2)
Superman: The Story of the Man of Steel
This is Spider-Man Level 1 Reader (World of Reading)
Super Hero Squad: Meet the Super Hero Squad! (Marvel Super Hero Squad Readers)
This is Iron Man Level 1 Reader (World of Reading)
The Spectacular Spider-Man: Volume Eight
Batman! (DC Super Friends) (Little Golden Book)
Batman Classic: Dawn of the Dynamic Duo (I Can Read Book 2)
The Invincible Iron Man (Marvel: Iron Man) (Little Golden Book)
(Going off to make a wish list of these for my 6yo for Christmas...)

They may not be high literature, but the first step is getting him to accept books in his life.

Take him to a library and watch what he pulls out to read. See what really interests him - type of book, size of book, ease of language, number of pictures. And then ask the librarian or a book shop owner for similar suggestions. You need to let him direct his reading choices otherwise those books you chose will sit on the shelf gathering dust (trust me, I know). This isn't school, you aren't forcing him to read or write a report. You want to inspire him!

Like jnstar, I really enjoy Judith Viorst beautiful images and a lovely lyricism in the language. More novel oriented, Andy Griffiths writes toilet humour books that appeal to young boys.

A few pages worth looking at for other suggestions - without actually knowing his reading ability, it's difficult:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/shortcuts/2012/feb/08/10-books-boost-boys-reading
http://www.bpl.org/kids/booklists/seriesyoungerboys.htm
http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/forparents/a/resolutions.htm

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:59:01 PM PST
Margaret says:
Charlie Crisp and the Witches of Cobwood
CHARLIE CRISP AND THE WITCHES OF COBWOOD
Boys midgrade! Wizards/Witches, Magic, unique characters, talking animals, amusing and humorous bully scene in this book! (great for kids who are going through this at school). Positive book with no swearing or anything a child of 8-12 shouldn't be reading.
I highly recommend this book. A real Gem.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:03:22 PM PST
italia1 says:
My son is 9, so below are some of the books he has enjoyed over the last few years. As mentioned, you can tailor your suggestions to his interests, or take this list and go with him to your local library and see what piques his interest.

The Percy Jackson books developed my son's interest in Greek mythology.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-3)

My son enjoyed the Third-Grade Detectives series. Below are a few of the books.
The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope/The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief: Third-Grade Detectives #1-2
The Mystery of the Stolen Statue (Third-Grade Detectives)
The Mystery of the Hairy Tomatoes

Since he was into mysteries, he also enjoyed the A to Z Mysteries series:
The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries)
The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries)
The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries)
The Zombie Zone (A to Z Mysteries)

He enjoyed these books by Andrew Clements:
Frindle
Lunch Money

Here are two classics my son loved:
My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics)
The Indian in the Cupboard
Earh of these books has sequels.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:54:38 AM PST
Find your favorite with Missy

this book is interactive, easy fun to read!
hope you enjoy it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:07:38 PM PST
The Witch Lessons

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:08:54 PM PST
"The Witch Lessons" may work. It's an adventure story that forces children to deal with their inner demons.

Try it.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:49:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 27, 2012 12:58:54 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:42:12 AM PST
sharrol says:
get all about pickles is a funny book pickles live in pickle town. its by sharrol frederick.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:29:38 PM PST
Taknitez says:
Little League Heroes, available free on Amazon, would be excellent for the lad. He will enjoy the book, a story about a baseball team of young lads, with different players from many different backgrounds, while learning how to build relationships just as these storybook mentors must do. He will identify with at least one of the players on the team, hence, the word HEROES!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:57:15 AM PST
Miss M says:
To recap:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM AMAZON

Initial post: May 17, 2011 4:00:14 PM PDT
Amazon Community Team says:

Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Saturday, May 14th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:46:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 16, 2012 2:45:21 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:38:16 PM PST
If he liked chapter books any of the Captain Underpants books and the Magic Tree House books would be good. There are many many of them in those series and they are all good.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:51:49 PM PST
D Blevens says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:36:26 AM PST
What about the Lemony Snicket books. There's a whole series of them and really imaginative.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:53:38 PM PST
Connie says:
Try Michael Morpurgo books. Great childrens author. War Horse, Private Peaceful, to name a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 1:42:46 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 24, 2013 9:15:59 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 2:58:07 AM PST
Sam says:
The Prophecy of Three: The Keys of Time by Sam Whitehouse. Its a fantasy adventure aimed at ages 12 and up but is suitable for a seven year old. Think Harry Potter/ Percy Jackson.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 6:48:15 AM PST
Tony Sisule says:
Lovely Chimpanzees

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:41:57 AM PST
James M. says:
Hatchet is a great one that I read as a kid.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:25:46 PM PST
Kirk Mcloren says:
have him read the teaser and see if he likes it
Ethan, asteroid hunter

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 12:01:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 12, 2013 12:29:18 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions