In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2009 9:02:16 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2009 9:08:12 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2009 9:02:45 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2009 9:08:26 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2009 9:03:06 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2009 9:08:38 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 10, 2009 7:16:52 PM PST
M. Salomon says:
I would like to offer you a heartfelt, "Welcome" to A Glove of Their Own.
My name is Bob Salomon and I have joined three talented authors and one illustrator because this book is the beginning of a movement that, as a father and a coach, I believe in. The idea for this story, born from a child's birthday party and a desire to ensure all children have equipment and a chance to play, has gained enormous momentum and national support. As grateful as I am for that notoriety, it is Debbie Moldovan, Keri Conkling and Lisa Funari-Willever who first believed in the vision of this dream. They are three amazing women, each one unique in their own talents. I am fortunate to have them as colleagues and blessed to call them friends.

Together, we have been humbled and overwhelmed by the support of individuals, Fortune 500 companies, non-profit organizations, professional athletes and kids who simply dream of becoming athletes. Giving back and extending friendship is written between the lines of this story; a story of kids who play with little, worn-out equipment, without coaches or concession stands, all for the love of the game. Our goal is to raise awareness, raise funds, and motivate everyone to play the game forward. Whether you donate your old equipment, organize a community collection, or donate funds to these dedicated organizations, you will have made a difference to a child. Pleae visit-- www.agloveoftheirown.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 10:45:00 AM PST
Hi Aaron,
Take a look at All Children Have Different Eyes by Edie A. Glaser.

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 1:43:18 PM PST
Wave says:
The Wuffle by me... Wave... is about exactly this. Check it out here on amazon.

http://www.dawufflepage.i8.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2009 3:44:04 PM PST
take a look at my book Daria Rose and The Day She Chose
It is a great book about the power that comes from within. Creating your own happiness through your choices and how you react to what happens around you. beautifully illustrated and fun to read.

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 2:40:27 PM PST
J. Silverman says:
I'd like everyone to read a new(ish) picture book: Guji-Guji by Chi Yuan Chen.
What happens when a mother duck doesn't notice that a very large egg has rolled down the hill and landed in her nest? The duckling (?) that hatches from it is -- well, let's just say he's different.
This is a great book.
Judy

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 9:58:57 AM PST
SmartMom says:
You will find many multi-cultural books on www.suesbooks.info
"You Be Me, I'll Be You" is a great book about differences. It is a terrific heartwarming book to read to children. "Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge" is about a boy who lives next door to a house where elder people live. "Dougal the Garbage Dump Bear" is wonderful. "Paul Needs Specks", "Guji Guji" about adoption, appreciating families and differences, "Animal Faces", "And What Comes After a Thousand?" about life and dying, "Not all Animals are Blue", just to name some. Wonderful books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2009 4:40:26 PM PDT
VP says:
Tacky the penguin is about a penguin who is different. He is accepted by his fellow penguins who are more normal, as penguins go. Tacky is a very odd bird but a very nice bird to have around is repeated at the end of these hilarious picture books by Helen Lester. A different approach to consider. Are Penguins a culture group?! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 1:07:04 PM PDT
"Hello, My Name is Baker"
"Tasha Finds Her Forever Friend"
"Chloe is in Second Grade: mini-series"

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2009 12:42:47 PM PDT
Dear Aaron,

Davy Brown Discovers His Roots will be available in June, 2009. All the characters are very diverse. It is about the celebration of America's diversity!!

Davy Brown is a bright, all-American boy with some not-so-typical problems. His best friend may be leaving the country. His teacher has just instructed the class to describe their own immigration stories-but his family doesn't have one! And if he fails the class, he may lose his spot on the baseball team. And if all that weren't bad enough, the cafeteria is serving coleslaw again...

Join Davy and his friends Carlos, Erika, and Amit on their quest as they discover that even the most seemingly typical people have exciting immigration histories. Then, using the resources in this book, embark on your own voyage of discovery-what fascinating immigration stories will you unearth? How many flags adorn your family tree? The answers may surprise and delight you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009 7:07:42 AM PDT
Kate Coombs says:
Don't know if you're still checking this, but you caught my attention because I just blogged about this topic (at Book Aunt). The picture books I listed are The Boy Who Grew Flowers by Jen Wojtowicz and Steve Adams, The Big Orange Splot by Daniel M. Pinkwater, The Araboolies of Liberty Street by Sam Swope and Barry Root, and Cosmo's Moon by Devin Scillian and Mark Braught. I think The Boy Who Grew Flowers would particularly suit your purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009 7:22:54 AM PDT
Try the new book JUST PERFECT:MORE ADVENTURES OF JULES THE LIGHTHOUSE DOG. It focuses on teaching children that we are all perfect in our own way. JUST PERFECT has been chosen as a Finalist in the 2009 Indie Book Awards.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009 11:08:20 AM PDT
Good Night Moon might also help you with your project. This book was quite something in that the colors on each page it got darker and darker as you were reading to your child this bedtime story.

Also one of Shel Silverstein's book, "The Giving Tree", is quite a different take altogether. Enjoy.

Posted on May 25, 2009 12:54:27 PM PDT
Pam Calvert says:
My book, PRINCESS PEEPERS, deals with this topic...

Good luck!

Pam Calvert

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2009 8:39:44 AM PDT
I fondly remember from my own Kindergarten-time:

Das kleine Ich bin Ich - by Mira Lobe (The little I am I)
I'm not sure if it ever was translated into English (I am from Austria), but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
It's about a strange looking little creature, which is all alone and goes on a journey to see where it fits in. I remember not exactly - since it's been "some" years :P, but it encounters all kind of animals and all come to the conclusing that it's NOT a cow, neither a dunkey or a dog etc.
In the end it decides that it must be a little "I am I", unique and perfect as it is.
It's an adorable book and we children even made "Little I am I" dolls from waste fabric. :)

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Kleine-Ich-bin-ich/dp/370264850X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243438037&sr=8-1

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2009 10:29:54 AM PDT
S. Sturdy says:
My new book, The Bird Who Wouldn't Sing, is all about being true to your unique self and not comparing yourself to others. But in the end how each unique voice blends together in perfect harmony. Available now on Amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2009 12:43:10 PM PDT
Hi Aaron,
My children's fairytale, Wanda the Wilopent, is about a little forest creature who dares to be different and yearns for more. It's a heroic journey of self-discovery, courage, compassion and acceptance. . . Although little Wanda is very independent she learns the meaning of "belonging" too. The illustrations are beautiful also. You can find it here on http://amazon.com.
Good luck with your project!

Posted on Jun 2, 2009 6:58:57 AM PDT
Triocat says:
A great one in this category is "Hop Jump", which is suitable for even very young children. It's about a frog who, unlike all the other frogs, likes to dance instead of just hopping and jumping. The other frogs are not happy about this strange behaviour, and exclude her from the group. But then they try it and like it. Except one frog, who doesn't. And that's okay too. "Oh yes, there's room. For dancing AND for hopping." Great story, fun illustrations, excellent message.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Books for kids that want to become doctors? 9 9 days ago
Need help figuring out title 1 9 days ago
Recently Published Children's Books 1737 10 days ago
As parents, do you interested in book that helps young readers open up their imagination? 0 11 days ago
As parents, do you interested in book that helps young readers open their imagination? 0 11 days ago
New Children Book - I Am Mai 0 17 days ago
Trying to remember title of a children's book - can only remember main character is a very blue, very bony guy 1 Apr 28, 2015
A Spider's HeaART - A Story About A Vegetarian Spider Artist 0 Apr 28, 2015
Even Superheroes Have to Sleep - A Children's Book 0 Apr 26, 2015
Children's book about a sheep that bakes cakes and puts pink icing on them. 0 Apr 10, 2015
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 4 Apr 5, 2015
Children's Books: Self Esteem, Beauty, Being Different, etc 66 Mar 29, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions