Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Looking for Young Adult, placed in scotland

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2012 10:44:56 AM PDT
EB says:
I am a german reader, who likes to read english books too. But I am looking for storys who play in scotland.
Last time I read "The Curse - Touch of eternity" and liked it much - so I am looking for storys who are similar to this book.
It should be written in an easy way, that i have no problems to understand everything. I am still in training - hope that my english will be good enough sometimes to read everything I want.

Posted on May 3, 2012 5:26:54 AM PDT
There is an old Nancy Drew mystery set in Scotland The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, No 41) I haven't read the book you mentioned so I don't know if it is similar, but you might enough it.

And since you are trying to learn English, and it appears you have made very good progress, I hope you don't mind if I correct your post (I used to be a teacher.)
Better to write: I am a German reader, who likes to read books written in English too. But I am looking for stories set in Scotland.

Good luck!

Posted on May 3, 2012 7:55:24 AM PDT
Kay says:
The Betrayal of Maggie Blair

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 12:32:00 PM PDT
EB says:
Hi, thank you for your help with my mistakes in the sentences - it is much more simpel to read english, than to write :)
I will have a look on the book you linked - thank you and best wishes!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 12:35:32 PM PDT
EB says:
thank you for your recommendation - I think I will buy it - it sounds good :)

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 11:28:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 23, 2012 8:28:54 AM PST]

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:21:44 PM PDT
Wolf of Badenoch is set in Scotland. It is old but the author describes Scotland well. It is about a shepherd and his dog.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 6:45:38 PM PDT
jd says:
A couple of books for teens that are set in Scotland but are a little bit different:

The Eagle, this is a book set in Roman times about a young Roman who ventures into the wilds of Scotland to try to retrieve the standard of his father's legion, which marched into Scottish territory years before, never to return. He hopes to restore the honor of both the legion and his father by bringing back the eagle standard.

The Young Bond Series, Book One: SilverFin (A James Bond Adventure, new cover), a book about the iconic movie spy James Bond as a teenager. While visiting relatives in Scotland, he becomes involved in a search for a missing local boy and stumbles upon a horrible secret. Lots of action, excitement and danger, and it's fairly well written.

Not the most traditional choices, but both books are worth a try. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:10:27 PM PST
The Witch Lessons (The Witch Lessons: Book I)

Loved, this book. Its written in simply, takes place in a magical town, and you should love it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:37:48 AM PST
Ignite says:
The Serpent in the Glass (The Tale of Thomas Farrell) might be the sort of thing you're looking for. It's a Young Adult fantasy story but I found it enchanting too.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:59:35 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:39:50 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:35:07 AM PST
nigel p bird says:
The Duplicate is a book set in and around Crieff and it's very interesting. It's advertised as a Young Adult title and if you like dark stories this one could well be for you. It's published by Snubnose Press and I think it's on offer just now.

Happy hunting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:16:24 PM PST
I remember one entitled Hadder McColl (haven't looked for it on Amazon yet) set in 1745, dealing with Culloden and its aftermath. There were some nice historical details, and good characters.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 4:39:03 PM PST
lxm16 says:
The Boggart by Susan Cooper

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 8:52:05 AM PST
Dreamer12 says:
There is a new release called Gairden that is placed out of Ireland, but it is about all Celtic culture, including Scotland. I would definitely recommend it!!

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:46:53 PM PST
Kate Forsyth's The Puzzle Ring is a lovely read. :)

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 2:55:56 AM PST
Sam says:
The Prophecy of Three: The Keys of Time is set partially in Scotland, exploring the highlands and the deep forests. It is a young adult fantasy novel.

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 9:34:32 AM PDT
Have you seen this new one? It's got a cracker of a review...The Rocks Below. After that I'd suggest the classics and include First Term at Malory Towers for it's Britishness and Robinson Crusoe which is free!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  May 1, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions