Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Books to Grow With?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 3:11:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 3:12:21 AM PST
I have an early reader armed with a gift certificate that wants to add content to his Kindle. I'm looking for recommendations for books that are currently appropriate for him to listen to now (with me reading to him) that he will want to re-read as he gets older. He currently enjoys books that I would consider one-time reads: Magic Tree-House, Geronimo Stilton, A to Z Mysteries, Capt. Underpants. I'm glad that he's an avid reader/listener but, I think the library is best for those books. I think they're age limited and he won't be interested in them as he gets older. I was wondering if Tolkien is too advanced/scary for the ears of a 1st grader. I'm sure he would want to return to them in his teens and young adult years -- I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:44:19 PM PST
cathyr says:
I've been reading some of the classics with my 6yo, and finding the 14yo avidly listening in. We've been reading dtb's but most should translate well to kindle. I personally look for lyrical prose in books I'm reading aloud, chapter length that is easily digestible, and whether or not she's really interested. She still looks for the occasional illustration, and appreciates when they appear.

So far we've done:

- Roald Dahl (eg Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me). The shorter works (eg The Giraffe...) can be read in one long sitting, but also often include Quentin Blake's whimsical illustrations to aid the child's interest. They do grow well with them. (I checked, kindle edition also has the pictures).

- One that my teen found when she was around 10 and loved (and still enjoys) is Nicholas by Goscinny. I don't know if there is a kindle version. It's a translation of a French book, originally written by writer of Asterix. Very boy-centric, maybe two female characters in it's entirety, but about day-to-day life. LOL funny in places.

- The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Selznick (again, I don't know if it's on kindle) was so beautifully illustrated and written - a cross-over between a novel and a graphic novel. We were enthralled. And it would readily grow with the child via the increasing depth of the story, allusions to classic and early cinema, and vitality and intricacy of the illustrations.

- And because the movies were about to come out, we read The Guardians by William Joyce (this is the three book edition). It's *not* like the movie - the movie is more "in the vein of" - and the books had my girls in tears. If you are thinking LoTR, these are probably a good first step - fantasy, taking the concepts children understand (Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus) and turning them on their head. Really, really enjoyed these. The dtb had some good, illustrative, pencil drawings (eg the weapons of the yeti, E Aster Bunnymund's Easter Island). Can be comfortably re-read (SPOILER book 3 ends on a bit of a cliff hanger).

- This is heavily girly so probably not your cup of tea, but Milly-Molly-Mandy is a huge hit in our house. Very simple, straight forward, readable books that don't drum morals into the reader, but show how just being good is reward in itself.

As for LoTR, I'd start at The Hobbit - it is more readily consumed and is aimed at a younger audience. Whether or not a book is too scary? That's something only you can decide. It does depend on whether you can stop part way, take the time to explain, or read that extra chapter so everyone knows it comes good *grin*.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:57:10 PM PST
Wayward says:
Percy Jackson and Harry Potter are both enjoyable on multiple levels/ages.
The Half Magic Series is excellent, if he likes fantasy. Bunnicula and the Wayside school books might be single reads for some kids, but mine read them so many times I thought they'd get memorized.
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle might be in the free pub realm, but it's a really fun read as well. Freckles; and other books by Porter, are in the free pub realm but are worth reading multiple times.
Every kid should read EB White's books.
My Side of the Mountain is a survival story that many kids like to read and reread.
If he hasn't read Narnia, I'd start with those rather than Tolkien. L'Engle is a good choice too, for classic fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 10:30:21 AM PST
D. Albright says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:55:16 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
I think probably a 1st grader would find Tolkien boring, although admittedly I often find Tolkien boring. I agree with Wayward's recommendations, especially My Side of the Mountain and the Narnia Chronicles which were my daughter's favorites as a 1st grader. For read alouds you might also try Odo Hirsch's Bartlett and the Ice Voyage (although I don't think its available for Kindle), Avi's Perloo the Bold, and/or The Iron Giant.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 4:05:40 PM PST
K. McNamara says:
A few more suggestions:
Oliver Butterworth: The Enormous Egg
Susan Cooper: The Boggart
Bruce Coville: Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
E. Nesbit: The Book of Dragons
Enzenberger's: The Number Devil (although I don't know how that would play on kindle; the illustrations are vital)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:02:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 7:55:43 PM PST
Agnes says:
I definitely recommend anything by Roald Dahl. I think Tolkien's work, as wordy and lengthy and descriptive as it is, might be a little over his head. Throughout middle school and high school, I went through several of Tolkien's books, and, even then, there was a lot to take in.

He might like:
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog by R.E. Erickson (great series that might seem a little young, but I still remember these fondly and reread a few when I got older)

The Ralph Mouse Collection (The Mouse and the Motorcycle / Runaway Ralph / Ralph S. Mouse) by Beverly Cleary

Skinnybones by Barbara Park (she has many wonderful, hilarious books for kids; I still read her books every now and then)

Dog Called Kitty by Bill Wallace (if he likes animals, but it's kind of sad)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:55:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:07:21 PM PST
Connie says:
Try Enid Blyton Adventure series and Lucy Boston's Green Know series. Two masters of childrens literature.

Books written 50 years ago and recently reissued in modern editions. Classics for adults as well as children.
I am a 62 year old woman and have read both series several times.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 3:35:30 PM PDT
GMomma says:
KiteReaders has some beautiful Kindle books of classic stories and those with great messages as he grows older. They just came out with a retelling of "The Tortoise & the Hare" specifically for younger readers, and have a nice set of Beatrix Potter classics that were made specifically for the Kindle. They have good quality books if you want to look through their catalog - http://www.kitereaders.com.
The Tortoise and the Hare (Classics Series)
KiteReaders Classics - The Tale of Peter Rabbit
KiteReaders Classics - Tom Thumb
Good Fortune in a Wrapping Cloth
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions