Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 370 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2008 6:59:24 PM PDT
H. Beane says:
Every night for a year I have read Harry Potter to my 9 yr old son. It was our special mom-son time together that we both loved. Now that we have read the whole series we are looking for something similar to read together. I usually read it so the reading level is not so important. It has to be something fun and entertaining for both of us. ANY IDEAS???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2008 7:51:21 PM PDT
Michelle says:
Diana Wynne Jone's Chrestomanci series is excellent. I would start with The Lives of Christopher Chant.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2008 7:57:49 PM PDT
Ellie says:
I recommend Wayne Thomas Batson's books. They are The Door Within, Rise of the Wyrm Lord, The Final Storm, Isle of Swords, and Isle of Fire. They are packed with fantasy and action. The Narnia books are also great.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2008 8:02:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2008 8:04:03 PM PDT
A. McStyle says:
Watership Down by Richard Adams. Wonderful story a boy would LOVE... Full of adventure and heart!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2008 9:09:51 PM PDT
Wayward says:
Edward Eager books helped inspire JK Rowling, so the Half Magic series might appeal.
Some of the Enid Blyton and E Nesbit books are really fun, too. Classic, original kids fantasy books.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (and some of her other books) appeals to boys and girls, although the protaganist is a girl.

You might both like the Lemony Snickett books, or even the Sisters Grimm (they're girls, but the bane of their lives is Puck, the caricature of a 10 year old boy.)

A lot of 9 year olds are also enjoying the Eragon series. Too bloody for my dd, but many of her friends enjoy it. And you can edit what you read out loud.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 9:40:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008 9:58:31 AM PDT
K. McNamara says:
The Magic Thief (Prineas)
The Great Turkey Walk (Karr)
The Enormous Egg (Butterworth)
The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)
The Prydain Chronicles (first 3 books) (Alexander)
Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Coville)
Bartlett and the Ice Voyage (Hirsch)
Perloo the Bold (Avi)
The Iron Giant (Hughes)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 12:27:06 PM PDT
Cubfan71 says:
Try the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 12:53:14 PM PDT
M. Donahue says:
I am just getting into reading children's literature - and have found some good resources for good read aloud books. I found them in Jim Trelease's book, The Read-Aloud Handbook. (Which in itself, is a very good book!)

-Check to see if your local library subscribes to any journals that review new releases - they will probably share this information freely.

-www.trelease-on-reading.com/rah-treasury-intro.html
A short list from Mr. Trelease's book - includes reviews!

-www.nea.org/readacross/resources/catalist.html
National Education Association - Top 100 choices from teachers

-www.ala.org/ala/als/awardsscholarships/childrensnotable/default1888.htm
American Library Association - Best of children's books, videos, and audios.

-www.reading.org/resources/tolls/choices.html
Favorite books - as voted on by children, young adults and teachers

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 1:25:49 PM PDT
1.)The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordin, very fast paced, greek mythology w/ a modern twist. My 9 yr. old son and I red these together and he just loved them! There are 4 books so far, and we can't wait for the 5th to come out! Disney is supposed to be making the books into a movie in the next year or so!

2. You may also be interested in th The 39 Clues (also by Rick Riordin), it is a series of 10 books, the 1st, Maze of Bones was just released, we just started to read it, but so far so good. Your son could also go the www.the39clues.com website and play along w/ the book. It's quite cool! You learn about history and travel the world in search of the 39 clues. In fact, that's what my son wiil be doing as soon as I'm done w/ the computer (Do a search at Amazon for it and check out the above mentioned website to see what you think)

3. Spiderwick chronicles is a good fantasy series....the movied was pretty good too.

4. We just finished the Willoughby's by Lois Lowry, that was pretty good, plus lots of good vocubulary words w/ dictionary in the back! (I learned a few new words as wll! ;o)

5. We also highly reccomend Chasing Vermeer and The Wright 3 by Blue Balliet! Excellent mystery books, have clues hidden in the illustration, and great quirky characters. (My son really liked the Caulder character) The bonus is you also learn something too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 3:26:03 PM PDT
Jo Kasler says:
rick riordan (the lightning theif), garth nix (keys to the Kingdom), Brian Jaques (redwall), diana wynne jones (chrestomanci quartet and howl's moving castle), elizabeth kay (the divide), and suzanne weyne (the barcode tattoo)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 5:41:01 PM PDT
Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. I promise you he will love it. My third grade class absolutely enjoyed it and so did my two boys.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 5:49:18 PM PDT
The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper is good - not as long as HP books, but a good story line. "The Seeker" movie was based on the books, but the books are 100 times better...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:31:31 PM PDT
MJ says:
Try the Charlie Bone series. It has a similar storyline to Harry Potter.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 6:45:52 PM PDT
A. L. Ward says:
Another vote for the Narnia Series!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 7:16:20 PM PDT
Let's see... Charlie Bone, Artemis Fowl, Eragon, Magyk. Those should keep you bussy for a while. There are 6 C.B. books, several A.T. books, the third Eragon book just came out yesterday, and I can't remember how many books there are in Magyk. None of them are as good as Harry Potter, but they're alright. Charlie Bone is the best of the bunch when compaired to the HP books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 9:05:22 PM PDT
Boric says:
I really recommend Thornspell - it has a very engaging boy hero and is full of magic and adventure, action and mystery. It's a real crossover novel, working well at both the adult and kid's level. I loved it and a friedn's eleven year old won't put it down!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 9:18:14 PM PDT
Hi, I am a bookseller in Elgin, Il.-used & new books. The after-school readers have been
talking about the Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale (book #1 is Merchant of Death) & Diane Duane's Wizard series - (book #1 is So You Want to be a Wizard). The Duane books might be
an easier read-aloud for you. Congrats on doing this together with your son!

Judi Brownfield

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 9:25:31 PM PDT
K. Hobbins says:
I also read to my boys at night (still...and they are 12, 10, and 8) I can't believe no one has mentioned the Lemony Snicket series. That's what we went to after crying about being done with Harry Potter (and I'm not kidding...we cried!). But the Lemony Snicket series has some fairly sardonic humor that kept us laughing, a great plot that kept us wondering, and some fantastic lessons in vocabulary which made it educational as well as entertaining. My boys are still using all the big words they learned and we have lots of inside jokes about the stories. It was fun to try and solve the mystery together as it unfolded.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008 10:44:34 PM PDT
Batgirl says:
I vote for the Chronicles of Narnia. Some of the best books ever written, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 6:04:47 AM PDT
joyce m says:
Inkheart, Thief Lord, - Cornelia Funke
Sea of Trolls- Nancy Farmer
Wrinkle in Time- L'Engle
Lionboy-Corder

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 6:12:54 AM PDT
CBrew says:
Try the Underland Chornicles by Suzanne Collins.

Gregor the Overlander is the first of the series

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 6:24:35 AM PDT
Check out a new book seriec called "Strange Town Volume One: The Woods Behind Trevor Malone's House" We all go thru HP withdrawl and there is NO substitute for JK Rowling, but hey this book is cool and is a great read. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 9:52:17 AM PDT
H. Beane says:
WOW - so many responses!!! Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Now I just have to figure out where to start :).
The biggest problem for us is that we live in Central America so books are not easily available and there is no big library to go to and try out the books. I think we will see what we can get at the local used book store and make a wish list from your wonderful suggestions for friends and family to bring us when they visit or send B-days packages.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND VALUABLE INPUT!!! I can't wait to start reading the, with my son.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 10:55:50 AM PDT
Madam Atom says:
Search for my Listmania titled "Book Series for Boys Who Love To Read" to see my list of 9 recommendations. My son is 10 and devoured each series. Girls would like them too if they like adventure.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 1:30:32 PM PDT
Lena says:
One more addition to this list: try "city of Ember" series. My daughter (also 9-year old) constantly compares everything to HP. So far, these series rated the highest with her. And, since it has both girl and boy protagonist, it is equally appealing to girls and boys . I enjoyed it, myself...
A couple more:
The Gideon Trilogy by Linda Buckley-Archer
Peter And The Starcatchers, Peter and the Shadow Thieves, Peter and the secret of Rundoon by Barry/Pearson
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  300
Total posts:  370
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions