Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Books for Tween (5 and 6th grade) Girls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 130 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2008 4:26:46 PM PDT
Hi,

I'm a reviewer for teen fiction, and recently I was approached by my old middle school teacher from the small parochial school I attended asking me for reccomendations for the girls in her fifth and sixth grade class.

One of the girls had been reading a Clique book (It's Not Easy Being Mean), and she felt that it wasn't appropriate for the school setting. Now, I'm not trying to incite a debate or anything about censorship, but what I would like are reccomendations for books that aren't bratty or snarky or mean, have good strong role models (they don't have to be Christian books, but if they are, that's fantastic!) and would be appropriate for 9-12 year old girls who attend a parochial school. They can be from any genre!

Thanks so much!

TP

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 4:34:37 PM PDT
CountryVegan says:
Good books for Christians or anyone who just likes good books without violence and such are Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches. There are four books in a number of editions, but my favorites are the illustrated ones. They are also in audio like on playaway and audible and such. I also recommend The Prydain Chronicles that's a series I always loved and enjoyed and found to be good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 10:54:35 PM PDT
Wayward says:
Well, there are the classics: Anne of Green Gables (and the surrounding series) and the rest of the LM Montgomery books

Anything by Louisa May Alcott (Eight Cousins, Little Women, Jack and Jill, Old Fashioned Girl)

Also, the Grandma's Attic books are fun. The series starts with the little girl hearing stories from Grandma, and morphs into a simple series of Grandma growing up. My 10 year old has read through to At Home in North Branch several times.

Most of the Janette Oke books fulfill the romance thrill while still being very appropriate, with Christian themes. (I loved them at that age)

More modern books are harder to think of. Most of Gail Carson Levine's books are appropriate for a church setting, but they are based on fairy tales. Without the damsals in distress. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 6:29:23 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 6:32:23 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 6:44:21 AM PDT
Hi,

I'd consider looking at Simon & Schuster's Aladdin MIX line for tweens. :)

~Jessica Burkhart

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 12:07:29 PM PDT
Deb says:
My daughter attends a parochial all girls school and is an excelled reader in this age group. It has been difficult at times to find age appropriate books for her level. She has a monthly book report and each month is a different category. We usually start at amazon.com to get a list then go to the library to dwindle the list down. There has been several times she has changed books mid-stream.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 1:27:26 PM PDT
M. J. Jones says:
My son just started 5th grade at a parochial school. His summer reading list included authors: Avi, Blume, Cleary, Creech, Danziger, Wilder.
Book titles included: Bloomability, Everyone Else's Parents Said Yes, Yolanda's Genius, You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?, Music of the Dolphins, Sarah Plain and Tall, Sideways Stories From Wayside School, Dear America series, My Name is America series. My son read his fifth Harry Potter book and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 2:13:17 PM PDT
Anna Hays says:
Hi,

My book was released this past March. It's called Portia's Ultra Mysterious Double Life. Maybe the middle school teacher friend would be open to taking a look at it?

Good luck!

Anna Hays

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 2:33:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 5, 2011 7:39:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 6:28:42 AM PDT
webshred says:
9 to 12 year old girls? There are probably more great books for this audience than any other group. Is your old teacher "web savvy?" If so, she can find lists and lists and lists all over the web. If not, her local librarians could probably name a few dozen right off the top of their heads.

But just to get you started, here's some suggestions for recent books. (I'm not going to list all the old standards and award winners, because those are easy to find elsewhere.)
-- Kiki Strike
-- Jeremy Fink and the Secret of Life
-- Rules
-- Harry Sue
-- Anahita's Woven Riddle
-- A Drowned Maiden's Hair
-- Fly By Night
-- From the Lighthouse
-- The Goose Girl
-- Peeled
-- Anatopsis
-- The Green Glass Sea
-- Island of the Aunts
-- The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
-- The Lightning Thief
-- Shakespeare's Secret
-- A Mango Shaped Space
-- The White Giraffe

Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 2:03:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 12, 2008 5:38:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 7:42:32 PM PDT
Boric says:
Hi, I have just recommended a book called Thornspell as being "good for boys (and for girls)" but I do think that girls who like fantasy-ficiton and adventure stories, with some romance (but no 'adult' material) will enjoy this book. I was lucky enough to read an ARC and it is a beautifully written retelling of the story of Sleeping Beauty from the perspective of the prince, with good pace and excellent characterisation. It is not a "Christian" book in the same way as CS Lewis, but there is certainly a moral universe within the book that is compatible with Christian values and I think the main characters provide those good strong role models, but as real people, not cardboard cutouts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 1:13:47 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:05:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 5, 2011 7:38:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:22:03 PM PDT
L. Day says:
Hi TP,

You may want to check out my new book that was recently released by a Christian publisher. The Adventure's of Penelope Desiree Montclair, Age 10 is fun book about the every day life of a little girl who lives in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. It is a laugh-out-loud story that was written with values and morals, but is not preachy. It contains no religious impressions except for the golden rule. If you would like more information you can check out the website at www.penelopescorner.com. Enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:38:47 PM PDT
J. Dortzbach says:
One really good book is Walk Two Moons

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 5:57:44 AM PDT
Hi
I'm a storyreader, and I travel around the country. I have many books for girls (and boys) in 5th and 6th grade. A new one last year that is very popular, How To Steal A Dog by Barbara O'Conner is a great one for people who have to make difficult decisions. Stargirl by Jerry Spinell and the sequel Love, Stargirl are both excellent reads. Almost everything Spinelli writes works well with 5th and 6th graders! Jim McKenna, Storyreader

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 6:47:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2008 8:02:53 AM PDT
Kate Coombs says:
I just did a Listmania list of romantic fantasy for 12 and up--and I was trying to avoid sleaze. It's called "What to Read After Stephenie Meyer." As for contemporary, besides a couple I put on that list, I really like Meg Cabot's books (Teen Idol, How to Be Popular, Avalon High, and her semi-supernatural books, the 1-800-WHERE-R-YOU books and the Tales of the Mediator books, plus you no doubt know of Princess Diaries). There's an occasional PG comment, but the only really objectionable book by the criteria you mention would be Ready or Not, which is about a teen cheerfully deciding to have sex. Two authors on my list, Sarah Dessen and Hilary McKay, have wonderful contemporary books and series. Again, I'm thinking PG more than PG13. I also like a cute book called Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress. (I'm assuming these girls want to read Young Adult fiction, if they're reading Clique.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 6:57:06 AM PDT
E. Ledder says:
Eleven By Lauren Myracle
It's EXCELLENT! I'm reading it with my 6th grade girl bookclub. Very age apropriate. The girls all relate to it. And it's a series....folowed by twelve and then thirteen

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 7:28:00 AM PDT
Kristin Nitz says:
DEFENDING IRENE, my novel about a girl playing on a boys' soccer team in Italy, has made it into a number of Christian Reformed and Catholic Schools. It's also on recommended sports books for girls lists in libraries around the country.

A teacher at a local convervative Lutheran Christian day-school used my fantasy, SAVING THE GRIFFIN, as a read-aloud. (I was shocked because they're very picky about fantasy.) The people at TeensReadToo included it as a book you could safely recommend to middle graders. It's on the preliminary list for Missouri's Mark Twain Award. The final list of nominees for 2009-10 will come out later.

My characters have good relations with their parents and show respect towards adults. If you'd like to find out more about my books, you could go to my website: www.kwnitz.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 11:44:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2008 11:46:08 AM PDT
I bet that they would like my teen murder mystery called "The Attic Above". It was written for tweens.

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
This book will take you on a ride with Tory and his newfound friend James. You see, James was murdered in England many years ago. His house has been moved to the United States and completely rebuilt. With the help of Tory, James will find out who killed him. After finding an old necklace which links him to James, Tory goes back in time to right how James was wronged, hoping not to change the present by his actions. Many twists and turns are taken in finding the correct path to take.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 1:44:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2008 1:46:48 PM PDT
They might like Searching for A Starry Night, A Miniature Art Mystery by Christine Verstraete, from Quake/Echelon Press, - Sam, her best pal, Lita, and a mischievous Dachshund search for a missing miniature replica of Van Gogh's Starry Night. The girls enjoy teasing each other, and have a few battles but are just good kids having fun and helping out Sam's mom. A few spooky moments and a "spooky" family legend, but nothing too evil or over the top.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2008 7:24:46 PM PDT
Debra Karr says:
Hi; I am D.A. Karr, the author of "The King and the Legend" (Kindle/e-book) or in paperback, "The Legend of Pendyne". My historical fiction novel is young adult and in the realm of what you are looking for. It is the story about 16th century Wales and Ireland and the take over by the British Monarchy and an old Irish knight who must find a stolen battle horse and bring him back at all costs. He encounters a slave boy, pirates, spies, and a war. This particular book has won two awards including "Best Historical fiction of 2007, San Diego, finalist". There is plenty action, some mystery, and pure empathy. It reads like The Legend of Sleepy Hollow or Eragon, or Stardust but nothing about a boy/girl relationship. This book is also being sold as a movie.

There is no sex, drugs, swearing, or behavior implications. It has strong morals and family value messages. My sister is a 4th grade teacher. The books are in her library and her kids enjoy them. High schoolers could relate to "Pendyne" because it involves the "what if" theme. Adults have read my book and enjoyed it as a good story.

I would be very happy for you to read my book and write a review of possible. I also have my younger reader, "The Racehorse with Magic Shoes" in Kindle/e-book or "The Adventures of Barrett: the racehorse with magic shoes" in paperback. Please visit my web site at www.racehorsewithmagicshoes.com for more information. I also have short stories available in Kindle/e-book.

Best - ceade mile failte

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2008 6:11:37 AM PDT
Please take a look at Last Pick on the Planet, my novel for middle school age readers. I believe that it would fit your criteria well. It is a deliberately written to contrast with the bratty, dumbed-down, cable network style books typically published for this age group. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best of luck,

CB Fischman
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  109
Total posts:  130
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions