Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Geronimo Stilton on Kindle Fire HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 11:47:16 AM PST
R. Novak says:
Has anyone purchased a Geronimo Stilton book for their Kindle Fire HD 8.9 yet? We had one book that we originally purchased for a Kindle Touch and the pages are actually images, tiny images, on the Fire screen. Each page image has to be double tapped to zoom in on, and then the quality is horrendous. Are all the G.S. ebooks like this? I need to know before I purchase any more...

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:47:23 PM PST
Yes, did the same thing on our HD 7" and could not find ANY way to change it. Just finally went to manage my books online and returned for a refund. Looks like all Geronimo Stilton books have the same problem. Hoping they resolve the issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:34:26 AM PST
It's the same with the Capt. Underpants series. I would imagine that any book that is heavy on illustrations would have this problem.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:59:03 PM PST
I had the same problem and resolved it with a refund. Kindle has an extremely dissatisfied customer now because this is my daughter's favorite series. When I called, they didn't seem to care.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:17:37 PM PST
R. Novak says:
Yes, this is my older boys' favorite series also, and was the prime reason why we returned TWO Kindle Fire HD 8.9's after Christmas. Big letdown... I still think nothing beats a paper book, but they sure look good on the iPad with easier and faster zooming.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:41:14 PM PDT
This is probably because the publisher has not upgraded their title to latest Amazon KF8 format for children's picture book and other illustrated books (like cook books, comic books) etc. KF8 format allows an ebook designer to seperate the text & the illustration as well as layout the text & illustration on a page just like they were laid out in the print. Moreveor, since the text is separately laid out from the illustration you can still search through the book and do word look ups. Learn more here: http://amzn.to/10P5uAD

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 3:31:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 3:35:43 AM PDT
As Smart Parent says, it's a shame that many publishers haven't yet released 'proper' KF8 versions of their books. That is the case with the Geronimo Stilton series at the time of writing*.

What many 'major' publishers have still is just scans of the paper books as images and that's it. No separation of the text making full use of KF8 (Kindle Format 8). The problem with that, well... the people who have posted in this thread know.

In their defence, Scholastic Paperbacks (the publishers) will have a challenge with Geronimo Stilton due to the large number of different fonts used. It can be done though, just with some effort on the part of the publisher.

That's not to excuse any publisher that has failed to put out a proper KF8 version of their authors' works by now however.

It's 2013, and publishers have had a full year since Amazon released KF8 at the end of 2011 to get new versions out. Many parents and grandparents bought Kindle Fires this Christmas just for Kindle FreeTime Unlimited, and then they find that the publishers of some of their favourite books have let them down by not releasing KF8 versions yet.

*current Kindle versions of the Geronimo Stilton series were released in August 2011, a couple of months before KF8 was officially announced.

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 7:15:08 PM PST
Sharon says:
Happened to us tonight. The first book my 8 yo wanted to buy with her new Fire was a Thea Stilton that was like a mini-pdf on the screen and completely horrible and unreadable. Amazon has a lot of nerve. These titles need to be marked somehow. Way to make my kid's day. I can get my money back, but not the experience for my kid.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions