Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

short chapter books 7 yr old advanced reader

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 18, 2011 3:31:55 PM PDT
Tara Misu says:
My son reads at a high level, but refuses to tackle any longer books unless they are graphic novels. Any suggestions for something that might pique his interest?
He loves quirky humor when read to him (Dahl, Sachar, Pinkwater) but wont read anything longer than Nate the Great on his own.
(Looking especially for stuff I can pick up at the local library)

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 8:41:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 11:25:37 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 4:11:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 5:14:47 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 5:39:41 PM PDT
Wayward says:
We have these issues, too :-( My dd will read Bunnicula, though...and the series added several 'easy reader' sized books, which might appeal to him?
Shel Silverstein's poetry is good for reluctant readers, too, the books are 'bigger' but it's all short bursts of funny poems.
The Warrior books have graphic novels that fill in side-stories. They could be a jumping off to get him interested in reading the full book.

A few short chapter book series to try that should be at most libraries: Secrets of Droon, A-Z mysteries, Marvin Redpost.
We just keep getting whatever dd will read, even if it means stacks and stacks of picture books! Reading is reading, and she does branch out a little when she thinks no one is paying attention.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 9:31:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 27, 2011 10:27:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 2:55:17 AM PDT
Tara Misu says:
Thanks Wayward.. good to know we are not alone.
Is reading really reading, or do you think I am training a lazy mind by not pushing for a book which stretches his attention span? I am pushing for a chapter a night on a longer book (we are doing Aikiko right now) and I keep hoping he will want to read more on his own, but he never does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 7:33:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2011 7:36:55 AM PDT
N. Winton says:
I definitely do not think you are "training a lazy mind" in your son. My personal opinion is that if they are reading, that is wonderful. I say continue to let him read whatever he likes for now, and continue what you are doing. I think it is one of those things that you will eventually see results with, but that he may just not quite be ready yet. Good luck and keep up the good work!

PS: My son is the same age and things are basically the same here. He reads Magic Tree House, Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, etc and then at night I read to him from more "advanced" chapter books (Charlotte's Web, The Indian in the Cupboard, etc).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 9:25:49 AM PDT
Wayward says:
I can only repeat what the teachers and dr tell me! And that is that reading *is* reading, there's nothing wrong with good quality picture books, many are actually written for higher level readers (Patricia Pollacco and Cynthia Rylant are the two authors that come to mind, but there are more)
I find that if the books are lying around, and I don't push them, or I read a little bit to dd and leave her hanging at an exciting part (because I'm 'too tired tonight' to finish) she'll have picked it up and read ahead. She doesn't want me to know, possibly partly because she doesn't want to be ahead of her peers and isn't sure where her reading skills 'should' be and partly because she fears 'failing' at a book that looks too hard from the outside. If she reads in private, she's the only one who knows whether she got through it or not.
The object is to keep them enjoying reading, so that they will confidently tackle whatever holds their interest eventually.
In the meantime, while I let dd read whatever she likes, I encourage her to listen to me read above her reading level and keep up with checking her vision and checking in with teachers on her test scores, just in case there is something 'else' going on that makes the bigger books harder to handle. I know my dd complains that little letters and words are a problem, but the pros currently think that's a maturity issue more than a vision or learning problem. However...books at her official reading level have a lot of words per page, which may be part of why she prefers lower lever reading.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:56:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2011 11:04:42 AM PDT
Tara Misu says:
The reading level books generally having more words per page comment is very perceptive. He seems to think it is too much work to read a higher level book, and I don't know whether he means his eyes or his brain. Could be both ;)
Thanks for the input, everyone! It is tough to balance the feeling that I am pushing him vs the feeling that he is slacking. Our teacher last year wasn't the greatest and his reading level actually dropped over the year (but I am pretty sure it is because he has taken to "speed reading", reading words without thinking about them at all just to "read". This drives me nuts.
Wayward, it is interesting you brought up Warriors and Shel Silverstein because I just purchased Warriors in manga the day I posted my thread in hopes that it would encourage him to read the larger book when he finished and got Where The Sidewalk ends from the library (he loved Lafcadio and read it *after* I read it to him). He reads tons of high-level picture books, provided they are short enough.
NWinton thanks for reminding me about Indian in the Cupboard. That's a good one which will keep him wanting to hear more.
I will just have to keep reminding myself that reading is reading and he will pick up chapter books on his own as the titles intrigue him.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:29:06 AM PDT
Niel says:
Try Patrick and the Dancing Fire - just get the sample, if he does not want to read further then nothing is lost.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 12:54:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 29, 2011 2:03:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 6:55:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 7:13:38 AM PDT
C says:
Here are some series we went through long the way: Dinosaur Cove, Animal Ark, Puppy place. Hit some garage sales and scoop up several books for .10 or .25 apiece and leave them in the car, the kitchen table, bathroom, at grandmas where they are ever handy. I decided to read to him some more adventurous and lengthier chapter books at bedtime. Two chapters a night. I figured his reading was fine, he just needed a boost to his comfort zone. He loved it! The adventure held his interest that he kept asking to do an extra chore to "earn" a third chapter which he would volunteer to read. (he he he) Now he is reading "Seekers" at age 6.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 7:28:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 1, 2011 9:33:12 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 7:37:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 1, 2011 8:32:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 8:37:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2011 9:20:06 PM PDT
Theo says:
I just stumbled on this thread while perusing the Amazon pages for some of my own childhood favorite books. Over in the Top Reviewer's forum we've recently been discussing the books that first made us love reading. In my case I remember the exact book very clearly: it was Enid Blyton's The Adventurous Four.

I definitely agree with Wayward that the key is to leave the books lying around and not push them. Pushing books on a child is a good way to create a lifelong HATRED of reading!

You might also like to consider the Skinnerian concept of "shaping" - getting to the behavior you want by small, progressive steps. But in any event, enjoyment is key. Enjoyment of a subject (or "interest" as they're calling it), has actually become one of the hot topics in the psychology of creativity. And as you seem well aware anyway, there are plenty of quality graphic novels out there that can lead your son into more mature literary waters as needs be.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 5:05:51 PM PDT
A. Bramble says:
Franny K. Stien is a great book that is around the middle of third grade reading level. They have lots of pictures, but higher vocabulary. They are about a kid mad scientist and are very funny. Kids really seem to like them and they are good for kids who don't want to attempt longer books.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 5:46:21 AM PDT
DD67 says:
Jean craighead George: MY side of the Mountain Trilogy, also try Autumn Moon and Incredible Animal Adventures and The case of the Missing Cutthroats. There are many written by this author some with children in it on adventures, all involving nature and survival. Mostly 5th to 6th grade

ON the Run Series by Korman ( these are little shorter books at a 5th grade level) this series consists of 6 books really making up an entire novel.

The sign of the Beaver by Speare, My son hates reading and he loved this book. It is a great book for boys.

Bill wallace has some adventure books out for boys, Danger on Panther Peak was very good.

The Fire Within by D'lacey series, 5th grade reading, but it is a bit of a longer read than some of them

Hatchet by Gary paulson and other books by him like Woodsong, 5th grade

Hank the Cowdog series is lots of fun to read, and there are a lot of them. 4th grade

Hardy Boy books these are at a 5th to 6th grade reading level

Did he try the Box Car Children books? These are at a 3rd to 4th grade reading level, I like they fact that they do have factual information in them, even if they aren't at a real high reading level.

Great Illustrated Classic: like the Invisible Man by vogel, King Arthur by Pyle, ect.... Nice thing about these is the reading is higher level, but they are more photos than your normal chapter book would have.

What about James Harriot books, he has a series of short stories out for children. They would seem more like picture books, but be more detailed, higher level reading.

Bill Peet picture books are more detailed at a 5th grade reading level.

If you don't mind him studying weapons or maybe when he gets older:
There is a non-fiction book series out called Weapon: History of arms and armor by DK publishing written by grant that is very popular with my son's friends(3rd grade) all the way up to adults. "Warrior: A Visual History of the Fighting Man" The books have a lot of History in them and great photos of equipment used, they are very well done.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 12:18:08 AM PDT
M.D. Spenser says:
Check out the Shivers series -- now back as ebooks. Great reading, designed for kids 8-14. Each about 120 pages, with short chapters. Kids say they can't get enough of them.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 3:04:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2011 8:26:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 2:41:02 PM PDT
hawkssr says:
I have written stories for my grandchildren 8,11 and 12 and they love them. They are adventure stories, some ghost, a little suspenseful, a little scary and end with a twist . All ages seem to like them (if you're young at heart) and more than one older reader has compared them to Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys.They are short stories that you can download from Amazon Kindle & Barnes & Noble. Here is my Blog where I have them listed and you can just click on a link to take you to that story. I just put all the short stories on sale this week for $1.99. http://hawkssr128e-shortstories.blogspot.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 4:38:56 PM PST
Christel says:
Jungle Gentle Giants: The Tale of The Three Gorilla Princes

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 3:50:29 PM PST
sharrol says:
get all about pickles its a funny kids book.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:39:56 PM PST
The Captain Underpants books may be good. And the Magic Tree House Books may work for him. Check out some of them at your local library.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:31:32 PM PST
My 7 year old son loves science fact trivia books (like the ones from Time [TIME for Kids BIG Book of Why: 1,001 Facts Kids Want to Know (Time for Kids Magazine)]]. Plenty of photos and no commitment - he can flip to random pages and read as much or little as he wants - but I feel better about what he's filling his mind with than when he reads Captain Underpants (which he of course loves as well).

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:49:16 PM PST
The Omega Squad books by Charlie Carter might work, and also the Vanguard Prime books by Steven Lochran. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions