Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-47 of 47 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:11:02 PM PDT
Have you tried the bible? It can function as bothThe Bible - The Holy Bible Formatted for Your eReader

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 2:03:49 PM PDT
jack says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 5:17:53 AM PDT
Linda Arvey says:
Sorry, Jack but after so many people jumped on this dad for daring to ask for a "Christian" based story. I finally add to add my 2 cents. Try to remember this dad only asked for a book title not how to raise his children. There could be a number of reasons why this particular genre was chose, none of which may be bad or ill advised.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:36:08 AM PDT
OneMom says:
Calvin Miller's Guardian of the Singreale Triology is a favorite at our house.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:31:29 PM PDT
silky69 says:
The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis in the Chronicles of Narnia series.
Dr. Ben Carson (famed neurosurgeon )... his biography titled THINK BIG is super easy ready but extremely easy and sometimes humorous. He went from being the dunce of his class to the smartest in his class because his mother (who had 3rd grade education and could not read and had been deserted by her children's father and worked two jobs) decided her two boys whose report cards were bad, would be reading books and writing extra reports... Carson checked out a very simple book about a beaver, but from then on, he went from reading about animals, to astronomy to other interesting topics and went from being the dunce of his class where he was made fun of to the smartest in his class. He is also on youtube.

His book Think Big is very easy to read and children would even enjoy it because of his simple matter of fact writing style.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:49:50 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Why on earth are you spamming this book in a Children's Book forum? Or as a book appropriate for a 10 year old? You should be embarrassed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 11:13:55 PM PDT
silky69 says:
Which of the books are you referring to as "spam"? They are both good books that my child enjoyed tremendously. We read them together. What is there to be embarrassed about? I really have no idea what your problem with these wonderful books are. .... strange....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 12:13:37 AM PDT
silky69 says:
RE: S. Wentz says:
I don't think a 10 year old is too young to try C.S. Lewis' Narnia Chronicles. While they're seen as more fantasy than Christian, Lewis himself was a very strong Christian and put a lot of allegory and morality lessons in the series. Just a thought. :) "

My son and I read the first book together at that age and he LOVED it! Its a great book for children as well as adults. Great suggestion!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 12:33:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 12:37:47 AM PDT
Iola says:
There are children's versions of Ben Carson's biography. I've seen them in my local Christian bookshop.

ETA: But I haven't read any, so I couldn't make a recommendation except to say that his story is very inspiring.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 12:47:49 AM PDT
cathyr says:
So there are, I stand corrected.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_6?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3ADr.+Ben+Carson+think+big%2Cn%3A%211000%2Cn%3A4&bbn=1000&keywords=Dr.+Ben+Carson+think+big&ie=UTF8&qid=1340437423&rnid=1000

While none of them are the book silky69 actually rec'd, it would be a good book for a 10yo looking for Christian inspiration.

I am sorry for unfairly accusing you silky69. I still don't think it's appropriate to rec it to a teen looking for fantasy, but that looks like a perfectly reasonable rec for here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:31:28 PM PDT
M. Farris says:
The Boy's Marco Polo

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 2:04:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:55:06 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 3:40:39 PM PDT
Christmas Parade

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 4:15:12 PM PDT
Reader says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 9:30:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 9:36:52 PM PDT
I guess a few people missed the poster's explanation that he lets his children read whatever they want, if appropriate. This request was for a specific project his son had to do.

For all we know the poster isn't even Christian and is indeed expanding his children's view to something other than their own perspective. Don't be so quick to censure others for censoring!

And I second the Chronicles of Narnia suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 4:16:14 AM PDT
Thelonius says:
You are a teacher who begins written sentences with "Um..."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 4:19:30 AM PDT
Thelonius says:
Never let children read the bible. It is full of dangerous things. Do what most parents and good Christians do and paraphrase---talk around the text. The rapes and murders are too, too much for a child. Fantasy book, yes; appropriate, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 4:20:12 AM PDT
Thelonius says:
Good reprimand!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 6:54:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 6:57:15 AM PDT
have u tried turn the page and see. followers of Jesus, i think it goes up to 8 years, short brief stories of followers of Jesus isbn 0874039339. i will look for others and post later. hope this helps;

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:35:21 PM PDT
frenchbush says:
Try 'Six minutes past midnoght' it is not an overtly Christian book but it is a 'wholesome' adventure story!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:33:16 PM PST
K. Parsons says:
While I'm not entire sure what grade level this would be at, Mark Twain wrote a book that is not well known called Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. It is written from the perspective of a young boy who is Joan of Arc's friend and travels with her through her life. This is a surprising and funny read that is also very respectful.

Kindle version: Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc (Complete Volume) (Special Illustrated Edition)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2014 5:33:04 PM PDT
Sucker4Sales says:
It's because some "children's" fiction is sarcastic and rude. Many children's books I've read have been disrepectful and vampire books are actual considered children's reading, which is crazy. I purposely looked up Christian fiction as well so my children can fill their hearts and minds with goodness. It's interesting you use the word "narrow" because the Bible uses that exact word to describe the road to heaven. No shame at all in investing in our kid's eternal souls.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  May 1, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions