Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 371 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008 7:32:48 PM PDT
Angi says:
Check out www.teenlitreview.blogspot.com for lots of suggestions! The Door Within Series, The Dragon Keeper Series, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Series, and The Mistmantle Chronicles - all ones I highly suggest!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008 9:31:19 PM PDT
Mike B. says:
Dear Ms. Beane,

I have three sons, and they have read many of these suggested books, in addition to "Harry Potter". However, their perennial favorite seems to be the "Three Investigators" series.

There are 45 installments that were written from the 60's through the 80's. Don't let the age of the books dissuade you, the excitement they engender in your average (or above average) preteen boy makes them worth exploring.

There's something to be said for the simple "good-guy bad-buy" motif used by the authors. Each book is only about 150 pages so if your son doesn't like them you haven't wasted too much of a limited commodity.

If you decide that you want to try this series you may want to begin with the first book, "Terror Castle" since it's always a good idea to start at the beginning. If he likes them, there are 44 more written in English. The Germans, who really appreciated the series, wrote 150 more after that (I only mention this since my oldest son, who has read all of the books written in English, now wishes to learn German.)

Anyhow I'm sure that with the effort you're making you'll have no trouble keeping your son engaged. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008 11:13:11 PM PDT
"The Series of Unfortunate Events" has 11 books that most kids that enjoyed Harry Potter get interested in. The reading level is a bit lower but same interest.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008 8:16:41 AM PDT
I am readying C.S. Lewis books to my son, Door in the Dragons Throat, Island of Iquarious, and Tombs of anak, Very good reading for that age, he likes to take over and read to me.. Next we are going to read Chronicles of Narnia, Then go into The HObbit, Then the lord of the rings trillogy, and after that we might read the simarian. then he will likely kick me out and read THE DEED of paksinarion himself lol

any childrens/youth books by CS lewis are AWSOME!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008 8:20:46 AM PDT
this is from left feild, but GET THe Adventures of TIN TIN books if you can from library or from ebay theres a guy who sells them on there, they are kind of expensive but worth it every bit, I LOVED them when I was 9 and my son loves them now *hes 9* and i recomend them to ANYONE even adults, they are simply awsome, more like a cartoon but very informative, I learned nearly every word I know from them.. very very good books

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008 9:59:27 AM PDT
Tom says:
Perhaps your son might like a sports novel about baseball, such as The Kid Who Only Hit Homers by Matt Christopher. Also, consider an adventure story like The Adventures of Archie Reynolds by Gifford Bailey. Both of these books can be purchased together at Amazon for a special discount ( see the Archie Reynolds page ).

If these books don't interest you or your son, click on my name above and take a look at my list of best boys books.

Good Luck,
Tom

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008 8:18:53 AM PDT
M. Batham says:
you could read her my book Lightsleep! It's target reader is aged 9-12 and its a fantasy adventure. Just search Lightsleep on this site!

Thanks

Matthew

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 9:33:59 AM PDT
M.Suit says:
I would recommend Rune Warriors. It's a new children's book by Jim Jennewein and Tom Parker. I've read the Harry Potter series, and Rune Warriors is right up the same alley. The book is set in the Viking era, and is about a 13 year old boy who braves danger, goes on amazing adventures, and learns valuable lessons about loyalty, bravery, and honesty along the way. It's a hard back, embossed book - and it's the first in the Rune Warriors series.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 11:31:05 AM PDT
One more vote for Artemis Fowl. I taught 2nd and 3rd graders for a year, and most of them were WAY into AF. And these were all crossover fans of Harry Potter.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 12:08:15 PM PDT
Aunt Deb says:
The Ulysses Moore series by Scholastic is fun. Septimus Heap by Ange Sage is great. 4 are out with at least 3 more to come.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 7:58:55 PM PDT
Mom says:
My nine year old (who also just finished the Harry Potter series) loves the Warriors books by Erin Hunter. Also, the "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness" series by Michelle Paver.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 11:05:35 PM PDT
I suggest you read the books again. I love these books and constantly re-read them all in order!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:43:29 AM PDT
A Nice Guy says:
The Tucker O'Doyle Series by Jason Rider.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 2:58:26 AM PDT
I would try the Fablehaven series. My kids and I also have a hour a night I read aloud and they are 9 and 11 and the this series thus far has kept them quite enthralled.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 5:40:24 AM PDT
D. J. Maria says:
My 9 yr old daughter (a staunch Potterite) and I read Dumas' 'The Three Musketeers' together this summer and couldn't put it down. Great pace, humour and adventure. Also a nice change from all the magic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 8:06:25 AM PDT
You might really enjoy the Dragon Codex series writen by R.D. Henham, starting with the Red Dragon Codex. In the book a red dragon takes a boy's foster mother, and the boy has to find a way to defeat the dragon and save his foster mother's life. Lots of action and adventure, specifically written for 9-13 year olds. It's a fun book.
check out the websites. www.reddragoncodex.com www.rdhenham.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 8:18:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2008 8:24:13 AM PDT
Vassar Girl says:
Glad to see someone finally mentioned the Series of Unfortunate Events (Lemony Snickett)! We read The Bad Beginning to our baby as he fell asleep every night his first few months, after Good Night Moon, of course. Yes, the vocabulary "lessons" are great for kids (adults, too in some cases!) and the underlying message of loyalty and doing what you believe is right is a good theme underneath all the delightful, disastrous silliness. No series can beat the "Wrinkle in Time" books from Madeleine L'Engle, however. Don't let your son be initially deterred by the fact that the protagonist is a girl, as the three main characters actually are her, her younger brother, and another boy from their school. My brother and I first read these books as children with my mom, and I still re-read them every few years. Wonderful food for the imagination!!! Lastly, I have to say how inspiring it is that you and your son have this special time of reading together. As a book editor, bibliophile, and most importantly, mom to a little boy myself, it always warms my heart to hear about children receiving the gift of a love of reading from the adults in their lives. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 8:48:08 AM PDT
Hi!
I am the author of the Children's Chapter book, Iggy the Iguana. I am currently on a school book tour, and I present to kids in the 3rd to 5th grade. One of my main goals while writing this book was to make it entertaining for kids and adults. Before I wrote the story, I used to substitute teach and read other books to the kids, and honestly, many of them bored me ... so I tried my hardest to not to bore the adults with my own book. I am pleased to say that during my presentations, sometimes the teachers were laughing harder than the kids. Mission accomplished! :O) The main characters are animals, which make the book fun and entertaining, yet they act like people in the book. Great vocabulary words, funny and witty humor, good moral lessons, and I have created a story that all different types of children can relate to. I hope you check out the website, www.iggytheiguana.com. It is the first book in a series, so the second book, Iggy's Summer League, will be out in the summertime. It is also available on http://amazon.com. Go ahead a check out a few of the reviews. Iggy the Iguana, ISBN 978-0-9818054-0-5 Melissa Marie Williams

Take care,
Melissa

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 9:10:07 AM PDT
M. Baker says:
my boys, ages 10 and 12 have loved the Fablehaven series by Bradon Mull. I have been reading to them at night as well and we are on book three. we can't wait for book four to come out! They are wonderful!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 9:53:49 AM PDT
There is another series of books out by author Angie Sage. Magyk, Flyte, Physik, and Queste. These are the Septimus Heap books and are just as enjoyable as the Harry Potter series. I have found that these books are the next best thing for kids who absolutely loved Harry Potter.

Give Magyk a go and see what your 9 yr old son thinks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 10:06:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2008 10:22:21 AM PDT
Natalia says:
1. "The Hobbit" by Tolkien. I started reading it to my son, he could not wait for our evening reading, so he had finished it himself.
2. "The Edge Chronicles" Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell.
3. "Ga'Hoole" series.
4. Spartapuss Tales series by Robin Price.
5. "Jennings goes to school" by A. Buckeridge

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 10:17:39 AM PDT
W. Penix says:
I think that the Inheritance(Eragon) series would be a good pick if you want to stay in the Magic area. It is a great book, with good characters, good story, and it's not too long, but not too short. And it will entertain both you, and your son.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 10:30:50 AM PDT
Melody Green says:
Chrestomanci is an EXCELLENT next step after Harry Potter, but the first book in the series is actually A Charmed Life. While The Lives of Christopher Chant happens first chronologically, a lot of the charm of A Charmed Life rests in the reader as well as the characters in the book, NOT knowing who Christopher Chant is, yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:12:49 PM PDT
Eglaviel says:
I would defintely recommend the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, there are around 20 books so far and they are just amazing!! =]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:14:56 PM PDT
Cathy Teets says:
Try Inky & the Missing Gold by Don Stansberry. The sequel just came out, Inky, Oglebee & the Witches! Revenge by F. T. Pandora is a great read for this age group, too.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  301
Total posts:  371
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions