Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 370 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:43:39 PM PDT
"The Order of Odd Fish". A relatively new book, but I have read it twice and really loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 1:32:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2008 1:34:22 PM PDT
Lucky Eddie says:
If you don't have access to 'new' print books, you might look for older novels in the lists people have made. Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series was one of my favorites as a young boy. I also enjoyed Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles. Obviously there's Tolkien, and Lewis...there's also T.H. White. I have always liked Ronald Dahl, and Lemony Snicket carries on that tradition well. If you want less fantasy and more fiction, a look at the Newbery Medal, and honors list will reveal some excellent books. Avi's Crispin: Cross of Lead is adventure-y as they come.

I wish you good reading, no matter what you choose!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 2:13:13 PM PDT
DMC says:
Try The SWITCHER series by Diane Mayer Christiansen. Great fantasy and fun like Harry Potter...read the reviews on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 4:36:41 PM PDT
L. Cartolano says:
You may wish to check out www.littleones.com, "Favorite Books & Authors for Elementary School Children" Grades 1-6.
L. Cartolano

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 7:31:34 AM PDT
Zoe's Mom says:
Definitely Rick Riordan's 5 Book series,Percy Jackson

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 10:03:00 AM PDT
I definitely recommend anything by Lloyd Alexander. His series with Vesper Holly is like reading about a teenage female Indiana Jones, while the Time Cat series has a young boy as the main character along with his talking, time-traveling cat.
I also recommend any of the following titles by Terry Pratchett (Discworld series, but they don't have to be read in order): The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents; The Wee Free Men; The Light Fantastic; etc. They are absolutely hilarious takes on some traditional themes, such as the Pied-Piper, etc.. So clever and both you and your son will find yourselves laughing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 12:14:21 PM PDT
Carly Hickey says:
A little bit more science-fiction than fantasy...

I started reading K.A. Applegate's "Animorphs" series when I was in first grade. It follows a group of teenagers who (no joke) fight a secret alien invasion by turning into animals, thanks to some alien technology. I couldn't get enough of it. Each book is only about 200 pages long, and an easy read, but the plot gets more and more complex...there are 54 books in the series. Every book is narrated by one of the group, a mixed cast of six very different characters.

The only caution is that they eventually deal with themes that some parents don't want their kids to deal with, but since you've read the last few Harry Potter novels your son has already been introduced to them - the consequences of war, the grey area between good and evil, loss of innocence, etc.

Like the Harry Potter series, the books "grew" as I did, becoming more thematically complex over the five years they were periodically published. I actually hunted down all of the ones I could find recently to reread them. I'm 20 years old now...I still love them just as much as I did when I was seven. The series ran from 1996 to 2001...My only concern would be getting your hands on the books themselves...I don't know if they're in print any longer. It's a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 12:35:51 PM PDT
Ostrakos says:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it since there are too many responces to wade through, but the Ender series by Orson Scott Card are kinda like Harry Potter in a sci-fi setting, and are a darn good read.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 1:06:04 PM PDT
Michelle says:
I would have to agree with the Narnia series and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 5:58:41 PM PDT
The Underland Chronicles are AWESOME! I teach k-6th grade ESL; my older kids love these books. If not to the same depth (HP had many references to Wiccan/Pagan beliefs, I believe) they have the same sense of magic and alternate worlds that Harry Potter does.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2008 6:26:40 AM PDT
Kate Coombs says:
How fun for you both! I immediately thought of Eva Ibbotsen, e.g., Dial-A-Ghost and The Secret of Platform 13. Those books will seem a tich younger than the Harry Potter ones, just so you know. As already mentioned, Diana Wynne Jones is wonderful. My other favorite is Terry Pratchett, e.g., The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. Rick Riordan's series, which starts with The Lightning Thief, is pretty hot right now, and not bad. Garth Nix's series, starting with Mister Monday, is good, if a bit dark. Some of the other popular series out there aren't very well written, unfortunately. See my Listmania list, "Fresh Fantasy Picks for Kids." My all-time favorites are Megan Whalen Turner's trilogy, The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia, but you might want to wait a year or two--they're more sophisticated.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2008 3:40:19 PM PDT
I was reading the whole Harry Potter series to my children, too. And after the 6th book we looked at each other and asked: And now? How can we possibly wait another year or even longer for the 7th book to come out? So I sat down and started to make up a story like Harry Potter. Playing in the magical world ect. But we started to change things we didn't like and so we came up with a totally different story. During the day I would write a few pages and every evening I would read it to my kid's and they wanted more and more. This book became so popular with children all around us, I had to publish it. It is still not in distribution, but you can learn more about it on my web side: WillowFeathernet.com. Sometimes just making up a new story is much more exciting then reading finished books. If you can have an input, how things should go or what should happen next, this is a real life adventure. Even after over 2 years i still write during the day (on the 2nd book) and read it to my children at night, as long as it will entertain kid's Iam happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2008 4:00:43 PM PDT
I loved reading the Rick Riordan Olympian series with my son.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 8:27:46 AM PDT
Ew Riggs says:
The Door in the Dragons Throat series is by Frank Perettil
The Deed of Paksenarrion is by Elizabeth Moon
Get your authors straight, or you may end up confusing people.
Don't forget the C.S. Lewis space trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandria, and That Hideous Strength.
Heinlein's juvenile series is hard to come by, but they are very good: Red Planet, Podkayne of Mars, The Rolling Stones, Between Planets, Have Space Suit-Will Travel, Farmer in the Sky, Tunnel in the Sky etc
Asimov had a really good juvenile series: David Starr, Space Ranger, Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids, Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus, Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury
Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter, Lucky Starr and the Rings of Saturn. He also wrote the I, Robot series, which are really good.
Cheerio!
Elizabeth

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 9:06:25 AM PDT
Betsy Crouse says:
Any suggestions for an 11 year old boy who likes Harry Potter AND humor like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 11:30:40 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 12:16:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2008 12:18:37 PM PDT
Another vote for the Chronicles of Narnia. The Eragon series is good too. However, the 4th book may not be out for several years as the 3rd book was just released last month.

I might also try some historical fiction: Johnny Tremain, My Brother Sam is Dead, or Blood on the River.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 12:19:46 PM PDT
It's a great way to teach the lesson of what ficition really is. It also has great lessons of friendship.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 10:36:55 PM PDT
Holly's Mom says:
Yes, but HOW does one pronounce "hrair"? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 10:38:33 PM PDT
Holly's Mom says:
Yes, The Dark is Rising is fantastic! Please don't even bother watching the movie -- it's nothing like the books, and it's terrible to boot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 6:34:19 PM PDT
check out "wizard of windsor island" a new book about a boy who discovers his magical powers. written as a modern day Harry Potter type book.

An adventure about magic set in modern times on a fictional island located in the United States of America. The story takes place today. Ben, a teenage music prodigy whom attends college, goes into his attic and discovers an old magic book. Ben finds out that magic runs in the family. Ben has inherited magic powers. Ben is referred to as the "wizard of windsor island".

The story then follows Ben, his family, his friends, and the local community as they deal with various situations. A crisis arises as a well respected family in the area has a boating incident. Their daughter and grandkids disappear in a sudden violent storm. There is magic, there is heroism, there is treasure, there are rewards as everyone is trying to locate and save those in danger.

Character names are simple modern names. The cast of characters is established for a series of stories which will inspire your kids to read.

A modern day Merlin, Alladin, and Harry Potter type adventure rolled into one. Inspired by an Oprah show on "The Secret".

www.windsorisland.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 7:37:01 PM PDT
I'm a sucker for the classics. Rudyard Kipling is my guy. "Captains Courageous" was a great story which I read at about your son's age. I don't think it is too dated, and the moral of the story is one most adults could learn from! Right now, at age 56, I'm rereading the original "Jungle Book". It's better than I remember and I enjoy every single moment I spend in deepest, darkest colonial Africa. "Riki Tiki Tavi" still tickles my funny bone! Most people only know Disney's version of Mowgli, but you just can't beat the real thing!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 7:37:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2008 7:38:40 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 7:49:48 PM PDT
A quick P.S. I'd be happy to send either or both of my recommendations to you and your son...no charge involved. I think any child that reads deserves books, books, books!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 8:00:37 PM PDT
Diana says:
After finishing the Harry Potter series, my step-daughter read the Bryan Davis series, Dragons in our Midst. I'm not a reader of this genre but she loved it and is interested in more of his books.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  300
Total posts:  370
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions