Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 371 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 9:14:40 PM PDT
J. May says:
Try The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stuart. It has it all, resourceful kids, scheming villians and lots of twists and turns. Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 9:14:44 PM PDT
J. May says:
Try The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stuart. It has it all, resourceful kids, scheming villians and lots of twists and turns. Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2008 9:25:55 PM PDT
My 10-year old loved the Warriors series, as did all of his friends. It's hard to put down for them, plus, there are two other series, Warriors New Prophecy, and the Power of Three. All about the same clans of fighting cats. Sounds wierd, but all of the kids are so into it...On a different note, for a read aloud, all of my four children have enjoyed the Melendy series, the Penderwicks, Gone-Away Lake, The Thief Lord, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Toulane, Gregor the Overlander, The Tale of Desperaux, and I've also heard the reccomendation for Hugo Carbet and Charlie Bone.

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 11:37:10 PM PDT
Still looking?

Raptor Ravine
Review of Raptor Ravine from Writer's Digest February 21, 2010

Raptor Ravine has an interesting plot of a boy named Trik who finds a unique creature he names Apollo. The relationship that develops between the two is well-written. Readers will enjoy identifying with Trik and following his adventures. The dialogue is natural and engaging. It really makes the story flow and move forward.See More

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2010 11:22:22 PM PDT
Good! I was scanning the posts to see if someone else had already recommended Chasing Vermeer (After Words) and Wright 3. I definitely second them, and I know my ten-year-old devoured the Percy Jackson books (starts with: The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) after finishing off Harry Potter...

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 2:50:39 AM PDT
Janey Sittig says:
Hi, H. Beane and all,

1st of all I think it's wonderful that you take the time to read your child every night. My mother did the same for me, and it gave me a lifelong love of reading besides a strong relationship with her.

Some classics that have a bit of magic in them:
The Jungle Books: The First and Second Jungle Book in One Complete Volume
One Thousand and One Arabian Nights: The Arabian Nights Entertainments

The two above are at the top of my all-time favorites. Of the new young adult lit, I'd recommend:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-3)

Hope those help!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2010 3:07:57 AM PDT
Her Enchanted Glass is just out, and although there's plenty of magic in it, it's not a series. Might be a good jumping off point to her style of magic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2010 3:35:45 AM PDT
Knitwit says:
My 11 year old son liked the Artemis Fowl series and the Percy Jackson series and he loved Harry Potter when I read it to him.

Posted on Apr 23, 2010 8:15:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 21, 2010 2:26:37 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 12:22:14 AM PDT
Talon, come fly with me
How about my book, Talon, come fly with me? It's about hope, incouragement, inspiration and love of a 10 year old handicaped girl. When she founds a pair of condor all changed to the better.
It's a great book

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 1:08:11 AM PDT
Hi,
The 'Amelia Maylock' books are very good. I think there will be 9 in the series and there is a manga/ comic book style version in the making as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 3:05:35 PM PDT
Mom says:
I just love all you folks who take the time to answer! I get so many good ideas here. Bless you!!! Love, Nana

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 3:28:17 PM PDT
D. A. Wils says:
The Percy Jackson & the Olympians series is HUGE with my 9 yr old!

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 3:31:09 PM PDT
I too felt at a loss when I finished the Harry Potter series. I turned to. . . Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, The Shadow Children series by Haddix, and as mentioned above, The City of Ember series. Enjoy! :)

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 4:56:38 PM PDT
Majic2930 says:
My young neighbor who loved Harry Potter says that her new favorite is the Conspiracy 365 series

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 5:17:04 PM PDT
Watership Down is a downer of a book! When did you last READ it? I had nightmares for years!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 5:23:09 PM PDT
I'm a bookseller in Yellow Springs, OH - also new and used books. I found the Pendragon books absolutely compelling and try to move some of the youngsters on to that series once they have finished H.P. and are at a loss where to go next. There are a number of volumes, so if you like the first one, there's more. And they should be read in sequence.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 10:30:03 PM PDT
R. Nelson says:
So many of the books mentioned here were favorites when I was a child. Watership Down was one of my favorite books as a kid. I read it 3 times between ages 10 and 14, and would have tackled it when I was 8, but it was too big. It doesn't really have the fun fantasy vibe you were looking for, though. Watch the cartoon first and see if you like it. They did a great job adapting the book for the cartoon.

When he's a bit older pick up The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's for a bit older audience (13+), but some of the Potter material is, too, and you've already read that with him.

Not yet mentioned is Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson. It's the first in a series and they're quirky and funny. (A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians. Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.)

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 11:17:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 13, 2011 6:29:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010 3:35:59 PM PDT
D. Langston says:
Try Midnight for Charlie Bone and following... I think there are 6 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010 3:54:27 PM PDT
C. Sachs says:
Watership Down: A Novel is an intense book, filled with adventure and loss. and scary stuff. I loved it when my mother read it to me, about 10? and my little sister 2 and 1/2 years younger. It's going to be individual. But, the horror and sorrow were not gratuitious and loss is a natural part of love. Learning that with that bunch of rabbits doesn't lead to nightmares for everyone.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 3:57:08 PM PDT
C. Sachs says:
Okay, if you're even reading this any more two years later...
I didn't see Treasure Island mentioned. A Classic, I loved it when my mother read it to me, and probably more readily available.
The Moomintroll books, starting with Finn Family Moomintroll (Moomintrolls) are really sweet. They may be a bit young for him, but sometimes when we are growing we need something a bit safe. Worth a try if you can find it. When I was in the hospital, my mother read them to me. I was in my 40s.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010 8:03:56 PM PDT
Good books available on Amazon to read after Harry Potter. Their websites to get a preview of their books are: http://www.rickriordan.com/ and http://www.septimusheap.com/ and http://www.the39clues.com/

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 8:05:33 PM PDT
Try Children of the Lamp Series as well.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 8:56:57 PM PDT
H. Beane says:
I think it's funny that this thread has reactivated after two years. My son is now 11yrs, loves to read, and has read a bunch fo the books recommended here (thanks!) He loves the Artemis Foul series and reads a book in a few days. He has also enjoyed the 39 Clues and Eragon series, Crestomanci, The Hobbit, and some Roal Dahl books. He has read about 12 novels for school this year and really enjoyed them. He just finished the Wolves of Willingbough (sp?) Chase last week and was on the edge of his seat (bed) with anticipation. It was a great book. Thanks again for all the recommendations!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 7 days ago
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 20 days ago
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016
Exciting New Children's Books 22 Apr 6, 2016
Mamas Love Boogers - A childrens book everyone can get a smile out of 0 Apr 4, 2016
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 34 Apr 3, 2016
Looking for "Quacky the Duck"-1950 1 Mar 30, 2016
List of titles from 1950's Weekly Reader Children's Book Club 96 Mar 28, 2016
Easter books for children- Post your favorite! 0 Mar 23, 2016
Kindle Books for a 3rd grade boy 44 Mar 14, 2016
Children's Books of the late 50's & early 60's 6 Mar 4, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  301
Total posts:  371
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions