Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Great new children's book!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 2:37:09 PM PDT
I was browsing kickstarter, and I can across a fun kid's book. It's about a girl named Alison's rainy day fun! I'm going to try and make it happen.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144748693/alison-and-her-rainy-day-robot

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 12:16:58 PM PDT
Maggie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:38:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 23, 2012 12:35:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 11:19:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 16, 2012 9:02:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 5:42:38 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Spam #3 - honestly, read the posting guidelines and then keep the self-promo to MOA.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 10:35:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 23, 2012 12:35:17 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 3:26:42 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Bhatia Spam #4 - You know it's against the rules and yet...

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 4:06:11 PM PDT
Miss M says:
I can't imagine the parent who would buy *anything* from these clueless shills who OBVIOUSLY CANNOT READ!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 3:38:58 AM PDT
jnstar says:
...who obviously cannot read and UNFORTUNATELY DO NOT CARE!!! Oh, and teachers won't buy their books either. Sad to witness the death of this forum...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 8:41:34 PM PDT
T. M. Novak says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 6:44:21 AM PDT
I would just like to point out that my original post was not self promotion, although it would be marvelous to have any sort of artistic ability.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 7:17:08 AM PDT
You are correct that there are sometimes gems to be found in books written by SPAs. One of my favorite authors (I have purchased all 20+ of her books) is self-pubbed. A reader in the discussion forums discovered her and posted about how much she enjoyed the author's work. Several other readers tried her based on the recommendation, they posted about how much they loved her books and that author's career has literally taken off. Mostly because of the exposure that she received on discussion boards. What she didn't do was make endless promotional posts advertising her books.

The point that you are missing is that the endless spam by badly behaving authors has killed this and other forums. A reader is in a thread asking for books that meet a certain criteria and is then inundated with posts about books that don't even come close to the OP's request. This happens over and over and over until readers stop coming.

The ones that are attempting to stem the tide are NOT "literature haters who are to preoccupied with slamming people than to look at their work and give a fair shot." They are people who genuinely love books and are making some small attempts to keep the forums alive and healthy. This benefits the reader because they get unbiased recommendations from other readers. It also benefits undiscovered authors whose sales benefit from recommendations made by posters that other readers trust. Many of us are huge supporters of self-published authors and actively search for undiscovered authors. I am one of those readers.

Several of us made a concerted effort to revive this forum several months ago. We started weekly discussion threads on topics that we hoped would encourage others to come and visit. We talked about books that we love, many by undiscovered, self-published authors. The result? The forum was flooded with self-promotional posts by badly behaving authors. We attempted to nicely inform them of Amazon's TOS and often provided helpful hints and links. We were ignored and often attacked by several of those authors. Others deleted their posts and then returned for lively and interesting conversations. Sadly, our efforts were to no avail and this forum has died. Take a look at the number of new posts that are made here. The CBF has gone from a forum that had multiple posts made every day to a forum that is lucky to have one new post every few days. Even more sadly, most of the new posts are spam. Readers have stopped coming here because they can't trust that a post recommending a book is unbiased. When a marketing post is made in a forum that receives no traffic it certainly isn't going to help increase book sales. What part of that is so difficult for an author to understand?

Just saying!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 6:54:16 AM PDT
Miss M says:
This has nothing to do with finding 'undiscovered gems' or whether a book is self-pubbed or not. I purchased well over 100 self-published childrens' & YA books before giving my nieces their new kindles, and I'm always on the lookout for more - there are lots of wonderful stories out there.

My point was that IMO any 'author' who doesn't have the brainpower to know what is or isn't appropriate regarding self-promotion (and that includes the TOS), one who cruises through a thread long enough to only drop his/her carp bomb of spam regardless of the original OP's request, one who thinks their book is so speshul the rules don't apply to them - THAT author appears to be lacking in intellect and I definitely will not buy their books nor pollute any kids' brains with stuff from people who are that stupid. End of.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 1:26:03 PM PDT
*clapping* Here, here!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 3:43:43 AM PDT
jnstar says:
Another teacher/literature-lover *clapping* but too tired to comment further!

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 11:58:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 12:00:29 PM PDT
I like how Amazon recommends books to me that are similar to my book. I purchased them and reviewed them. Mainly, this helped me discover some really good writers. I'm an insurance adjuster who can write dynamite insurance claim file reports. But, writing children books, well, not so much. So, maybe Kindle Self Publishing is where you find out you're not a writer.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 4:06:54 AM PDT
@Dean
Where can I buy those claim file reports? Sounds like great late night reading. I find that I don't write my books so much as I tell the story that bounces around in my head. Don't force it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 3:22:39 AM PDT
Michelle says:
Amen!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:59:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:01:02 PM PST
Find your favorite with Missy

this is a great book for 3-5 years old, super great find! you will be able to share some well deserved time with your kids and also having them be part of the rhyming story!
hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions