Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Personal development for kids

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 7:33:55 AM PST
Discus says:
I guess I can see the potential risk of what you are saying, but just like anything else in life, everything in moderation. You don't want to buy your friends but you also need to give as a friend, too. I use the book to show my kids, they need to share with friends. But this is with my boys, and they have problem of taking, demanding, and sometimes they get little too aggressive with more gentler kids. So I would say if you have kids like mine, you need books like Rainbow fish to help them dial back. Needless to say, I did ban most superhero kids books from my house.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:59:46 PM PST
My only concern with Rainbow Fish is that some young children may misunderstand and feel like they have to give away something in order to have friends. This is a wonderful book, but parents need to help their children make the distinction between sharing with friends and buying friends. Do we really want our children to give away the unique part of themselves in order to have friends or is it ok to be unique but learn to share their toys? Through reading this book and asking the right questions, we can help our children understand the difference and this book could be a valuable tool for just this purpose.

The key with any personal development book is to read it WITH a child, get their thoughts and feelings and guide them appropriately. It seems children will share so much more about themselves when they are relating to a character in a story than if you just ask them something about themselves.
If you do a search on "bibliotherapy" you can find a ton of books for children on any topic that you might want to offer special support or guidance on. Three of my personal favorites are:
Wemberly Worried for getting children to talk about the things that they worry about.
Unlovable (Owlet Book) for helping them learn to appreciate their own uniqueness.
Puppies for Sale by Dan Clark (I couldn't find the Amazon link, but the message in this one is that a personal challenge does not make you worth less as a human being)
I hope these suggestions help you make some decisions!

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 1:17:02 PM PST
Tim Young says:
I totally agree that it it a worthwhile endeavor to have books that help in the personal development of children. Especially if you
can start them at a young age to develop their confidence, and to find them tools to help them cope with the pressures of today's living.
Two books for young girls that I would recommend are "Annie's Amethyst" and "Rosalind's Rose Quartz." The themes are about finding
ways to peace, happiness and love, and they incorporate the use of the child's imagination to face the challenges of everyday life.
Here are the links: Annie's Amethyst andRosalind's Rose Quartz

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 6:12:23 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 10, 2012 7:10:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 6:05:02 PM PST
Discus says:
I'm with you on this topic. If I'm gonna invest my valuable time reading to my kids, its gonna be something that will develop their personality to be meek, understanding, and most importantly, empathy. One of my favorite books for this category is called "Rainbow fish". Its winner of multiple awards and I highly recommend it.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 9:27:25 PM PST
vonryken says:
Great question! Even brilliant! A hundred years ago, it was through stories that much of the character development was taught. I think of the McGuffeys Readers that I used as part of my children's homeschool cirriculum. Abeka books has outstanding stories that teach so many wonderful principles. They do have a Christian slant in places, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming by any means. The stories demonstrated how to live among others in a way that honors them and respects oneself. Stories are also valuable for another reason. It is a way to introduce an idea to a child in such a way that it appears it is not coming directly from the parent. In other words, it has the added credibility of another person telling the story.

Initial post: Feb 4, 2012 9:29:22 AM PST
What is the opinion of readers here about Personal Development for kids?
I think that our Society has changed and we are confronted earlier in life with life challenges. The realities of economy, like unemployment of parents, Social challenges like bullying in school and family challenges like divorce of parents are just 3 examples of what kids might have to face and overcome. They are unprepared, inexperienced and often alone in dealing with such challenges.
Can Personal Development principles conveyed through stories help kids in dealing with this challenges?
I ask because I appreciate The opinion from people who have read many kids books themselves and interact daily with kids.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions