Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Books for a 6 yr old with a 3rd-4th grade reading level

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 4:39:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2010 5:34:03 PM PST
MtnHarmony says:
My son use to love the Magic Tree House Books but he has read them all. Some of the newer ones we read together because they are harder. But he never asked for help, except when he was tired, I just knew that they were a bit hard. I have grown tired of these wonderful books and I know my son is becoming bored with them as well.

I would like to know what other books might be fun, not too easy, yet age appropriate. I do not approve of Junie B Jones nor did my son like it. He seems to enjoy books with some adventure and fantasy, that he could read with me or by himself. Pictures are not needed but some are nice. He was not interested in Geronimo Stilton and one other series at the library. I am not interested in silly books or comic books. A series of books would be best, but not mandatory.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention we were not interested in the Bailey Kids either. I think that's the series. He wouldn't give it a shot and I wasn't sure I liked many of them for him. Didn't seem like the best fit.

I will start reading him Otto and the Flying Twins, but I was looking for easier books he might read, not a huge novel :)

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 4:51:24 PM PST
Consider trying these series:
Chronicles of Narnia
Boxcar Children Mystery Books
Series of Unfortunate Events
I read the Narnia and Boxcar books as a young grade-school reader and really enjoyed them. I've enjoyed reading the Series of Unfortunate Events as an adult and know I would have liked them as a kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 5:25:50 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 2, 2011 1:53:54 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 5:35:44 PM PST
I like The Unicorn's Secret books by Kathleen Huey. My son is also six, but an advanced reader and he likes these books a lot. A lot of reviews say they are for girls, but I can't see why in the world they'd be just for girls. The main character is a girl, but there is nothing remotely "girls only" about them. The first in the series is called Moonsilver.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 7:29:50 PM PST
202 Good Clean Jokes for Kids

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 8:05:27 PM PST
Wayward says:
The Bunnicula series has expanded to include some early level readers.
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is enjoyed by all ages. (My dd loved them in Kindergarten)
Henry and Mudge, of course. Amelia Bedelia (It's 'easier' reading, but the content is higher.)
Secrets of Droon
Dragon in the Sock Drawer
My Father's Dragon series

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 4:38:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 4:38:34 AM PST
MtnHarmony says:
Jessica- thanks. We checked out all the joke books the library had this summer. Definitely fun for this age!

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 5:52:52 AM PST
DD67 says:
IF you look up The Boxcar Children on The AR bookfinder.com website you will see there is a range of reading level. Some of the easier onse will be similar to some of the Magic treehouse books. They are longer books averaging 128 pgs. "Blue Bay Mystery is a 2.9Arlevel" Caboose Mystery is 3.2 AR level", Mike's Mystery is 3.0Ar level"

Mr. Putter and Tabby books are also, written by Rylant, but more at a 3rd grade reading level, Henry and mudge are a little easier.

Nate the Great by sharmat

Stepping Stones leveled books has a chapter book level out, look up "Winter Pony by Doty" , Lucy on the Loose by Cooper, The case of the elevator Duck.

A to Z mysteries

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Dalgliesh
Tornado by byars

REady freddy books Are pretty good, The only thing I don't like about them is The boys attitude can be rude in the book, but not as bad as some series that are out there. Shark Tooth Tale is a cute one.

Polk Street school kids by Giff like the Candy Corn Contest are good And as easy as the beginning of the Magic Tree House series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 6:21:35 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 11, 2011 1:37:06 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 4:41:51 PM PDT
Paul says:
Professor Atlas and the Summoning Dagger
...check out the book trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHmbZA01F0

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 6:08:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 19, 2011 8:35:33 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 6:39:19 AM PDT
trail_runner says:
My younger son enjoys reading on a much higher level as well, and finding books that hold his interest is a challenge. You might want to try [[ASIN:1466468955 Amelia Frump

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 7:55:42 AM PDT
Recommend you try The Happy Hollisters. These mystery/action adventure books were the #1 seller in the 1960s and 1970s to the 7-11 age group. Newly reissued in paperback and eBook (Kindle and Nook), The Happy Hollisters are clean, wholesome fun. Your child will be thrilled with the fast-paced action and will not want to put the book down.The Happy Hollisters

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 10:52:47 AM PDT
A Turkey's Life

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:23:01 PM PDT
Craig Weeden says:
Hello,
My wife and I co-wrote the middle-grade novel Mia's Gift: A Muzzles the Manatee Story. It's won three national awards and has been used in classrooms in four states. It's about an eight-year-old Hispanic girl whose ability to communicate with a Florida manatee gets her into and out of predicaments in both the real and fantasy worlds. Mia's best friend is Clark, who's 10 and can fix just about anything.
Kirkus Discoveries called Mia's Gift "a delightfully tall tale about life, love and manatees....It is an adventure of the heart and spirit....A pleasure, this book disguises valuable life lessons as pure entertainment."
Mia's Gift is available in both paperback and Kindle versions.
We'd love to hear what your reader thought about out book.
Regards,
Craig Weeden
Mia's Gift: A Muzzles the Manatee StoryMia's Gift: A Muzzles the Manatee Story

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:35:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 3:37:10 PM PDT
trail_runner says:
Hi! I believe your son might be interested in my newly released book, Amelia Frump & Her Peanut Butter Loving Overactive Imagination

Amelia Frump & Her Peanut Butter Loving Overactive Imagination

Blurb:
Amelia Frump has a problem: an overactive imagination that sometimes gets her into trouble. One night, as the winds howl through the treetops, Amelia sees a spooky, bony finger tapping on the glass outside her bedroom window.

Can her wild imagination save her in time, or will she be the final ingredient in a Grubby Sock Casserole?

I'm a bit biased, but there's enough suspense to keep the reader hooked, in addition to offering the right amount of humor and pictures.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:41:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 3:43:04 PM PDT
Irish Lace says:
The Oz books by L. Frank Baum. There are many of them and they are everything you are asking for.

And I didn't write them (~__*)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 12:39:51 AM PST
Kathrine says:
My daughter is similar-- she likes the Dragon in the Sock Drawer series, Chronicles of Narnia, Magic School House Chapter books, Little House on the Prairie series, Bunnicula series. I've also found a series of classics (Classic Starts) that have been revised to be more child friendly (e.g., White Fang, The Jungle Book). My daughter also loves non-fiction and we get alot of books out about her favorite subjects (dinosaurs, marine life etc).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:22:57 AM PST
Have you tried books by Ron Roy (Calendar Mysteries, A to Z Mysteries, Capital Mysteries)? My son is in the second grade but on a 4G reading level. Like your son, he finished the Magic Treehouse books quickly and wasn't fond of the Geronimo Stilton books. Good luck, we can certainly understand your plight.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 8:54:57 AM PST
BTeach says:
The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques was my favorite at that age.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 10:44:31 AM PST
You might consider checking out Benny's Angel, my first children's book in the God's Secret Garden Adventures series. The animals must solve the mystery of who stole the flowers in God's Secret Garden. Marietta, the angel, is sent to help them find the culprit. The second book in this series should be released some timeBenny's AngelBenny's Angel next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 2:52:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 11, 2011 4:32:48 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 5:50:51 PM PST
C. Carson says:
My son is five and my daughter is eight. They have loved the Jack Stalwart series about a boy super spy and the Dinosaur Cove series about two boys who can go back into various prehistoric times and meet Dino's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 11:14:20 AM PST
Marie Elaina says:
You may want to try a series of short stories called: "My Grand-Mom Told Me..." . They're about a little boy who visits his grandmother almost every day. She explains how things were back in her day and there's also lots of fun and love too! Check out the little girl's comment on Amazon.... Good Luck ! My Grand-Mom Told Me...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 1:58:32 PM PST
Lauren Smith says:
I have been reviewing a number of children books recently and have some books that you and your son might like for Christmas... Santa and The Little Teddy Bear: Bilbos Adventures Santa and The Little Teddy Bear 2011 INDIE Holiday Book Winner also available in paperback Santa & The Little Teddy Bear: Bilbos Adventures: Santa & The Little Tedy Bear (Volume 1) these are for the advanced reader. The younger version of this book is Bilbo's Adventures: A Christmas Wish! available in kindle Bilbo's Adventures: A Christmas Wish These are both great reads. Santa & The little teddy Bear is an amazing Christmas adventure. A Christmas Wish will make any child smile this holiday season. See the reviews for your self....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Can't remember the name; childrens book with dinosaurs 2 3 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 50 6 days ago
Looking for a book about a man who keeps patching his clothes with other parts of his clothes. 0 8 days ago
Looking for Sarah & Can-do children's book 1 19 days ago
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 Jun 16, 2016
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 Jun 9, 2016
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 Jun 6, 2016
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 May 30, 2016
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions