Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

What was your favorite memory of your mother reading to you

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2012 9:25:50 AM PDT
Aviva Lynne says:
What is your favorite memory of your mother reading to you? And favorite book?

This Mother's Day will be the first since my mother Phyllis Moffitt passed away in February. All the advertisements for gifts appropriate for mothers were saddening me until I realized what I could do to honor her on this occasion; encourage reading aloud to children. It was a life long passion of hers as she majored in early childhood development at Penn State. In her later years she supported Read Aloud WV and was a founding member of the Berkeley County Chapter of Read Aloud WV. Read Aloud WV recruits and trains community volunteers who visit classrooms, day-care centers and after-school programs to share their love of literature and knowledge by reading to children.

My mother practiced what she preached reading aloud to my sister and I every single night until we were out of elementary school just as she had our older brother. She would make us 7-Up floats in little Dixie cups and spend 20 minutes or so reading to us just as she had for our older brother. She read to her grand children and great grandchildren. She read aloud at Tuscarora, Burke Street and Bedington elementary schools and at the local library.

Several years ago Mom had to give up reading at schools due to health reasons. This past fall her youngest great grandchild, Reagan, began kindergarten. Reagan is a young cancer survivor and my mother determined at 85 to begin reading aloud again for Reagan's class despite her COPD and constant atrial fibrillation. She managed to do so until two weeks before her death on February 2. Reagan's class adored Miss GG as they called her and sent her wonderful handmade cards during her last hospitalization. Which deeply touched my mom.

Because my mother was such a passionate advocate for reading aloud, my sister read to our great nieces one of our family favorites, "Green Eggs and Ham, " as part of the funeral service. It was the best tribute we could think of to honor and celebrate my mother.

This Mother's Day, thank your mother for reading aloud to you. And please support Read Aloud WV, your local school and public libraries, and children's hospital libraries by volunteering your time or donating books or money.

Almost nothing we do in this life is more powerful than reading aloud to a child.

My mother and I particularly liked "The Secret Garden."

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 7:41:52 PM PDT
Your mother left a wonderful legacy.

I remember "My friend the Monster" and "wind in the willows"

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:54:30 PM PDT
"One Kitten for Kim"

Posted on May 17, 2012 5:12:58 AM PDT
Aesop's Fables! She would read a story then asked what we thought of the message of the story. Good times.

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:20:04 AM PDT
Your post genuinely moved me and made me remember my mother reading The Chronicles of Narnia to me and the Borrowers - all of which we both loved. My mom gave me a love of books and reading too and I tried to pass it on to my son. Here's to all the mom's and books may they be long loved and remembered.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 3:25:26 PM PDT
Aviva Lynne says:
We loved The Borrowers also...I think for weeks afterwards I left items on the floor under my bed for any Borrowers who lived in my house.

Posted on May 17, 2012 3:33:31 PM PDT
the Chronicles of Narnia when I was like 7 - i would read a page and then she would read a page

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:00:28 PM PDT
The Hobbit, when I was 10 and my brother was 8.

I am now the mom. I've read more books to my children (both of them) than I can even remember. When my daughter was four, we entered the wide, wide world of the "real" book with Charlotte's Web. Since then, I've read aloud, among others:

The Hobbit, all of Little House on the Prairie, A Cricket in Times Square, Dealing With Dragons, The House with the Clock in It's Walls, The Princess Diaries (the low point of my read aloud career), Because of Winn Dixie, The Chronicles of Narnia (twice), The Tale of Despereaux, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Ginger Pye, A Wrinkle In Time, Number the Stars, Summer of the Monkeys, The Borrowers, The Time Garden, The Railway Children, The Boxcar Children (the first four books), Hatchet, Hoot, Chasing Vermeer, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, The Westing Game, The BFG, Matilda, The Sign of the Beaver, The Shakespeare Secret, Percy Jackson (all 5 books) and,

and, right now, I am on day 137 of a reading streak that has my son and I at 66% of Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix, having previously read the other 4 books since October of last year.

Reading to my kids has changed both of their lives, as well as mine.

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:28:19 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I don't remember a particular book that my mother read to me, she just read to me all the time until I turned 5. Then she bought me a Nancy Drew book and didn't have the time to read to me one day, and I started reading it to myself.

Up until this year, my husband and I read to our 9 yr-old every night before bed, now, he has his own kindle, and curls up beside me for 1/2 hour every night and we read.

Thanks to my mom!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:39:35 PM PDT
"Thanks to my mom!"

I think that example of reading during leisure time, really resonates with children? My oldest child (7) is staying up late every night with her booklight, reading her favorite book. She mimics me and my reading habits at night. While I hate that she is staying up past her bedtime, I recognize the drive to do this. I think it is a gift when you see a parent regarding reading as more important then TV.

What a wondeful thing that your nine year old mimics such a healthy habit. Good for your family! I think your situation is probably an exception, rather then a rule in many families. I think the "reading ethic" has almost been replaced by the "media consumption" ethic. Personally? I am doing everything that I can to encourage reading an actual book, in my family.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 5:02:06 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
*winces in embarassment* I didn't do this with my older son (now 21). He wouldn't read a book if his life depended on it.

Live and learn, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:00:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 1:55:13 AM PDT
"Live and learn" is such a great mantra, and for ME, regret my Mommy mistakes on a very regular basis ;). There are so many things I do for my youngest, that I wish I had known about with my 7 year old.

ETA: Words.

Posted on May 22, 2012 10:30:42 AM PDT
Staying up past your bedtime to read a great book is one of the quintessential memories and experiences of childhood. Turn a blind eye to your daughter unless it is the wee hours of the morning on a school night. There are way worse things she could be doing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:45:52 AM PDT
@Anastasia: Good point about the memories. I did the same thing as a little one, but darn it, she is waking up in the morning and seems as if she could use a bit more sleep? But again, I did it and survived, and now have had a life-long love of reading, so I will probably take a step back and try not to worry too much about her staying up late. Thanks ;)

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:11:47 PM PDT
Popcorn: A Frank Asch Bear Story. One of the first books I remember as a child. I think I channel my mom each time I read it to our kids.

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:31:14 AM PDT
And thank you G for taking it in the spirit it was intended, which was the joy of childhood, not bossiness. If yr daughter gets too tired she will fall asleep on her own...children cannot keep themselves forcefully awwake for long.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 6:15:01 AM PDT
@anastasia: There have been so many times where I have had to kind of take a deep breath, take off the mommy hat and just REMEMBER to let some things go. ;). I think advice and words of wisdom from outside your own situation, is very important and appreciated. Thanks again. By the way, my daughter has now taken to "journaling" in her little locked diary; yay!

Posted on May 27, 2012 12:57:58 PM PDT
Ulyyf says:
My parents never read to us once we could read to ourselves (which meant after I was three or four), but they read all our books to themselves and let us read their books. My fond memories of my parents and books revolve around us all obsessing over the same series and trying to be the first one to finish the new one! (And this is why I read very, very quickly today. It was like living with vultures. Heaven forbid you leave your book on the table to go pee!)

Posted on May 28, 2012 11:32:16 AM PDT
Nancy Hope says:
Mom read the Pollyanna books (there were many) to us on vacation at Colonial Beach, Va. I loved the beach, but also really looked forward to hearing those stories.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:17:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2012 3:40:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 2:59:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 3:01:03 PM PDT
Wow, your mother read a book to you that is under a month old??? Please stop.

ETA: If you are a preschooler that has the skill to post on this forum, then I think your Mommy needs to put an application in for you to be in MENSA. Sheesh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 3:22:30 PM PDT
Well it does say the book is for ages 4-104. Maybe he's a late bloomer. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 3:26:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 3:26:57 PM PDT
True??? What a sad attempt to spam this forum. Really? Target a forum for people looking for books that would be enjoyable for the children in their lives? What a very sad, desperate state. I would ask them to leave this forum alone.

ETA: Thanks for the support Anna. The carpiness on this forum seems pretty disgusting to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 3:58:11 PM PDT
cathyr says:
It was a tad more tragic when you worked out the author was his mother-in-law. That's one bedtime scenario that doesn't belong on *this* forum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:02:20 PM PDT
Very sad that a grown man gets read bedtime stories by his mother-in-law? Oh my! Yeah, that scenario is a bit TOO "yuck" for this forum. Truthfully, if my MIL tried to read me a bedtime story? I would have her evaluated for dementia? Thanks cathyr, your efforts are much appreciated ;).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 15 days ago
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 22 days ago
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 25 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 49 28 days ago
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 May 30, 2016
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016
Exciting New Children's Books 22 Apr 6, 2016
Mamas Love Boogers - A childrens book everyone can get a smile out of 0 Apr 4, 2016
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 34 Apr 3, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  May 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions