Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Interested in how readers search for books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2012 11:25:59 AM PDT
I see a number of thread titles where posters are looking for certain types of books e.g 'middle grade books for boys' 'picture books for girls' and when I typed these into the Amazon search (on my computer) it came up with several pages of suggestions. Do readers use this search facility, or do you prefer suggestions from other readers? Most books have these 'tags' to make it easier for readers to find what they are looking for.
Thanks

Posted on May 17, 2012 11:55:04 AM PDT
Wayward says:
When I'm looking for inspiration, I type in the title of a similar book and then look up what others bought at the same time.

Posted on May 17, 2012 12:15:18 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Jan -- often the tags are unreliable, because authors and their friends can tag a book however they want, and often use misleading tags to get people to land on the pages for their books.

I prefer to get recommendations from people I trust, or to do as Wayward said, and see what people who bought a book similar to what I'm looking for actually spent their money on.

Posted on May 17, 2012 12:30:21 PM PDT
Thanks. So the 'also bought' list is quite important. I see what you mean about the tags. Sometimes authors tag their books with the names of famous authors in order to get a hit. But I've also recently heard of a trad published book that had a tag that had nothing to do with the book, so tags can be unreliable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 12:31:27 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Well, any reader also can add tags, so they're unreliable in general, regardless of publisher.

Posted on May 17, 2012 1:03:29 PM PDT
Kribu says:
I also prefer to get actual suggestions/recommendations from people (people not associated with the author!), but I do often flip through the "also bought" lists, just to see if anything catches my eye and sounds interesting.

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:10:02 AM PDT
Thanks for your response.
Is it OK if I also ask how you feel about the price of children's ebooks, especially the illustrated books? Do you ever search by price?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:42:32 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
I don't personally search by price, no. I own several thousand children's books (physical copies), and live in an area with a good selection of children's books in the library. A book would have to be something I really already wanted on Amazon, and by that point, the price would be irrelevant (unless it was outrageous, or something).

Posted on May 18, 2012 9:00:55 AM PDT
@Teacher Mommy - Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:28:58 PM PDT
Dr. Mom says:
I concur that tags can be unreliable, but I am not sure what to tag my book with - so how do I start. There don't seem to be any really similar books out there. I leave off title etc. so as not to be accused of self-promotion, but I am puzzled as to how to proceed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:33:02 PM PDT
@ Dr. Mom: I think you could get some help in the Meet Our Authors forum:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

I don't know how many answers you will get to your pertinent question because there tends to be a lot of post turnover due to all the self-promotion posts. I think it would be worth a shot. Personally, I have NO CLUE about the whole process of tagging books. Good luck Dr. Mom (love your name!).

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:34:49 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Dr. Mom -- If you want specific feedback about your title, you might be able to find help in the MOA forum, where you ARE allowed to link to your book and talk about it. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, under "Most Active Community Forums" you'll see "Meet Our Authors."

I personally don't stress too much over the tags, for the reasons I mentioned. They're unreliable, and I don't know anybody who gets many sales using them, unless they or their books are already well-known through other avenues.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  May 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions