Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Very easy reader for a 4 year old

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2012 2:28:02 PM PDT
My son is 4 and he is just learning how to read. I remember having books with three to four word sentences when I was his age, but I have found any like that.

Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:55:50 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
The Biscuit books are good ones to start with. Biscuit Storybook Collection

If you type "My First I Can Read" into the search bar, you will get a pretty decent starter list, too. And then, when you've found a book that's kind of what you're looking for, look through the "customers also bought" lists on the book page for some more ideas.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:55:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 19, 2012 7:31:41 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:15:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 19, 2012 7:19:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:18:45 PM PDT
Rootmere says:
I figured she wanted to know a book, and my book had just what she was looking for. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spam. I deleted the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:22:41 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Thank you. If you want to actively promote your book, you need to go to the Meet Our Authors forum. This forum is for customers (and authors when they aren't self promoting!) to discuss "stuff".

Please hang around and add to the discussions, but leave your author hat at the door.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:13:55 AM PDT
MCRS says:
David Milgrim's Otto books were the a-ha book for my daughter. They are even simpler than the Biscuit books but she loved them. I believe that they are out of print but your library might have them and you can find them used. I've kept ours for when my son is old enough. We also got the Puppy Mudge readers out of the library but I think those are a bit harder than the Biscuit books.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 2:37:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 2:39:32 AM PDT
Colin Hawkins' foxy series are very good - and some are deliberately easier/shorter than others: Foxy and the Noisy Night. My children loved them! Similarly, some Kipper books, e.g. Thing! (Little Kipper), are simpler and we also loved Wibbly Pig, Everyone Hide from Wibbly Pig!

They're not readers but can be used to supplement school books and have familiar characters from longer story books - which your child can then move onto.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 3:45:06 PM PDT
Mine's also 4. Right now he loves all of the Lego books, especially the Star Wars Lego ones. He's memorized most of them and can parrot them back really well. They make him laugh, so he reads them over and over again.

Where the Wild Things Are is a great one too.

He also loves There's a Wocket in My Pocket! (anything that rhymes)

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:57:19 AM PDT
F. Wavrant says:
Not sure if it was you're looking for but I had the same problem with my 4 y old and I only found 1 book exactly the way I wanted, one she can really read all by herself, with little or no help, with only 3 letters words; it is called the "The Fat Cat" by Stephen Mooser & Lin Oliver. If this is what you're looking for and you found more, please let me know since I have the same dilemna.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 3:50:32 AM PDT
jnstar says:
Cat on the Mat by Brian Wildsmith...
Beautiful illustrations as well as simple text.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:42:08 AM PDT
Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered a few. We found The Eye Book by Dr. Suess and he's done really well with it.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:58:22 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 11:20:27 AM PDT
jnstar says:
You must be related to this author...same last name. This is not the place for self-promotion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 6:04:39 AM PDT
My kids learned to read with P.D.Eastman books............."Hop on Pop" was a first book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 6:07:03 AM PDT
Hop on Pop is Seuss.
"Go Dog Go" is Eastman. Both fit the bill.
"Are You My Mother" is good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 3:00:09 PM PDT
J. Ellisor says:
My 4 year old has done really well with the Bob books. They are great for beginning readers and build upon each other. Each new book adds one or two new sounds. Good luck!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 6:07:09 PM PDT
A. Bramble says:
Try Elephant and Piggie books. They are by Mo Willems and very short. The characters talk in short sentences. Every kid I have ever bought this book for absolutely loves it!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:40:49 PM PDT
@J. Ellisor, I'd never heard of Bob Books but that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thank you! I'll be ordering the beginner's set shortly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 3:26:14 PM PDT
The BOB books are AWESOME! I also highly recommend these books for early readers. I think the sing-song nature and the lively pics, really appeal to young readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 3:27:12 PM PDT
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary TaleMo Willems is one of my favorite storybook authors: the Knuffle Bunny series is a favorite of my toddler:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 3:29:05 PM PDT
I have ordered almost all of the BOB books for my toddler and my Kindergartner. Getting through the first couple of books, really increased my kids' sense of accomplishment, and the books (and illustrations) are quite fun.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 5:28:24 PM PDT
krissie31 says:
the hungry shark
bought it for my 3 yr going on 4 yr old brother and he loves it.
it's about a shark who is looking for lunch and ends up eating seaweed it even includes a seaweed noodle recipe.
hope that helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 2:35:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 23, 2012 5:47:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 2:39:48 PM PDT
Udo: Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 14 days ago
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 20 days ago
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 24 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 49 27 days ago
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 May 30, 2016
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016
Exciting New Children's Books 22 Apr 6, 2016
Mamas Love Boogers - A childrens book everyone can get a smile out of 0 Apr 4, 2016
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 34 Apr 3, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jun 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions