Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Fantasy/SciFi Books for a 13 year old Boy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 68 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 24, 2012 5:14:04 PM PDT
Oh yes! How could I forget Bradbury? Especially Something Wicked This Way Comes, Farenheit 451 and The Halloween Tree.

Also he might enjoy the Redwall books, Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising set (another that the movie didn't do justice to).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:12:47 PM PDT
Tom Brosz says:
Oh, how about Stephen King's "The Eyes of the Dragon?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 12:20:51 PM PDT
Octavius says:
If he likes "heavy" books, Dune. If he likes lighter fare, anything by John Bellairs (e.g. The Face in the Frost).

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 2:25:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 10:55:07 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:13:02 PM PDT
B. L. Meyer says:
Crosstime traffic series (Turtledove) is fun for (and targeted to) that age group too...alternate universes with different time lines (Romans still Rule in one, Communism wins the cold war in another, etc.)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:23:08 PM PDT
B. L. Meyer says:
Of course Edgar Rice Boroughs Barsoom series...minus Disney movies...great adventure stuff for that age. Once he gets to 16 or so, World of Tiers ( has a nod to Boroughs in one of those books, and a nod to Robert E Howard unstated). Neither is PC be forewarned, but are products of their era. Mists of Avalon and Gate to Women's Country can undo the first two sets...(i.e. he should read both groups for perspectives sake before exiting HS).
If he gets into military SF, 'The Prince' Series by Stirling et al. too.
I read all those (except Stirling's stuff) in 7th grade to high school and I somehow lived LOL

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:19:44 PM PDT
In addition to the many good books suggested, I really liked Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans. It's a new series. Book #2 isn't out yet but I think there is a movie in the making.

I also like Alex Flinn. She wrote Beastly which was also made into a movie. She has a few fantasy books, so check her out and see if any interest your son. (He may find them too girly?)

I second the suggestion for an e-reader. Most libraries have online books to check out and borrow so you don't have to buy him new books all the time.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:32:34 PM PDT
He might also enjoy the Diane Duane Young Wizard's series, starting with "So You Want to be a Wizard". However, there is a non-denominational faith message running throughout.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 8:54:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 8:55:47 PM PDT
Terry Pratchett, I must agree that the discworld books have changed over the years. The early ones were fun, but the later have a lot more depth and character. I've read Pratchett for years and at times find myself quoting a little fact or bit of wisdom, then realize that Terry told me that. He sneaks these things in with the fun and jokes.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 4:09:48 PM PDT
L. J. deVet says:
I've recommended I Am Number Four Movie Tie-in Edition (Lorien Legacies) and The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) to a few people here. I think the series will be one he could love, although you may want to look for 'clean' versions (less the mild coarse language) if that's something that may bother you.

I would also suggest Storm: Elementals 1. I've only just started to read it, so am unable to comment on it, but it sounds like another that could be a reasonably good read for him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 2:25:46 PM PDT
A. Nicks says:
Anything by Anne McCaffrey.
The Dragonriders of Pern: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon (Pern: The Dragonriders of Pern)

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 6:23:55 PM PDT
JFMallett says:
has he read The White Winged by Joanna Wadsworth?? a new book out, i think the first in a series of 4 -i loved it! The White Winged

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:30:42 AM PDT
B. Munroe says:
Try Ouroboros by Christopher Turkel. It is a new fantasy novel that is going to be a series.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:49:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 8:58:28 AM PDT
C. Hall says:
I wholeheartedly second 'the Tolkein Lord of the Rings' books, starting with The Hobbit!
J.R.R. Tolkien's own description for the original edition: "If you care for journeys there and back, out of the comfortable Western world, over the edge of the Wild, and home again, and can take an interest in a humble hero (blessed with a little wisdom and a little courage and considerable good luck), here is a record of such a journey and such a traveler. The period is the ancient time between the age of Faerie and the dominion of men, when the famous forest of Mirkwood was still standing, and the mountains were full of danger. In following the path of this humble adventurer, you will learn by the way (as he did) -- if you do not already know all about these things -- much about trolls, goblins, dwarves, and elves, and get some glimpses into the history and politics of a neglected but important period. For Mr. Bilbo Baggins visited various notable persons; conversed with the dragon, Smaug the Magnificent; and was present, rather unwillingly, at the Battle of the Five Armies. This is all the more remarkable, since he was a hobbit. Hobbits have hitherto been passed over in history and legend, perhaps because they as a rule preferred comfort to excitement. But this account, based on his personal memoirs, of the one exciting year in the otherwise quiet life of Mr. Baggins will give you a fair idea of the estimable people now (it is said) becoming rather rare. They do not like noise."

Then if he likes dragons... The Chris D'Lacey series beginning with The Fire Within
Chris d'Lacey, brings us a magical story about mysterious hand crafted clay dragons who have unusual powers.

When David moves in with Liz and Lucy, he discovers a collection of hand crafted, clay dragons that comes to life and has magical powers. David's personalized dragon, Gadzooks, can forecast the future, and inspires him to write a story which reveals the truth behind an unsolved mystery close to home. The story has an unhappy ending, and when David realizes the consequences of it he is angry. Then David finds Gadzooks crying and near death, and he discovers that these special dragons die when they are not loved. Soon David is forced to save his friend and unlock the powers of the fire within.

and the wonderful Dreamhouse Kings fantasy series beginning with House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings)
Dream house . . . or bad dream?

When the Kings move from L.A. to a secluded small town, fifteen-year-old Xander is beyond disappointed. He and his friends loved to create amateur films . . . but the tiny town of Pinedale is the last place a movie buff and future filmmaker wants to land.

But he, David, and Toria are captivated by the many rooms in the old Victorian fixer-upper they moved into--as well as the heavy woods surrounding the house.

They soon discover there's something odd about the house. Sounds come from the wrong directions. Prints of giant, bare feet appear in the dust. And when David tries to hide in the linen closet, he winds up in locker 119 at his new school.

Then the really weird stuff kicks in: they find a hidden hallway with portals leading off to far-off places--in long-ago times. Xander is starting to wonder if this kind of travel is a teen's dream come true . . . or his worst nightmare.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:35:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 10:38:52 AM PDT
If he hasn't already read them, then the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan (the first is Ruins of Gorlan I think) The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) and the Spook's Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney (the first one is The Last Apprentice (Revenge of the Witch). Also the Rick Riordan Kane Chronicles (Red Pyramid etc.) The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:46:01 AM PDT
Mykal says:
This is new and good:)The Cloud King: Thunder Nuggets and Fog

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 1:27:03 PM PDT
Mr. Mesmer: you appear to be related in some way to the production of this book, please read Amazon's TOS:

The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.

Also.....some further available help

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 9:57:08 AM PDT
K. McNamara says:
He might like Rachel Aaron's The legend of Eli Monpress. It's a thief & swordsman sort of thing, somewhat on the lighter side. Its in the adult section, but there isn't any sex. Lots of sword battles. The 4th book (Spirit of War) is quite a bit darker in tone than the first 3 (which are now available in omnibus volume format).

Some YA series that haven't been mentioned yet that I think would appeal to a 13 year old:
Scott's Nicholas Flamel series (Alchemyst)
MacHale's Pendragon series (Merchant of Death)
John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 3:23:58 PM PDT
He probably hasn't because it just came out within the last 20 or so days. Nice try.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 11:27:26 AM PDT
Dawn Imada says:
I recommend

The Hunchback Assignments
The Dark Deeps
by Arthur Slade

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 9:06:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 9:21:02 AM PDT
Definitely try "Steven Standing In The After" (Author: Ron Brunk). It is fantasy adventure. I couldn't put it down. He'll love it!! And it's a free download right now.
Steven Standing In The After

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:27:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 7, 2012 11:40:51 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:18:46 PM PST
The Witch Lessons

He has to read this book. It's Harry Pottery meets the Celestine Prophecy, and has both a futuristic and ancient appeal. Best children's story I've read in a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:42:07 PM PST
Jesyca says:
I just read The Watch that Could do was very original and fun.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:12:47 AM PST
If you have a kindle then King of the Zombies by Elizabeth Powell is a great read. It is gory but full of action. My sons response was 'Awesome!'
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions