Marty McGuire
Ivy and Bean
Bad Kitty

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 8:14:25 AM PDT
Katya says:
And how did I forget Mercy Watson.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 9:13:16 PM PDT
Alex's Mom says:
I have been following this thread with interest as I also have a child reading at a US 2nd grade level/3rd grade level. Unfortunately/ fortunately she is 30 months old! My hubby is from UK, and we recentlydiscovered the Lynley Dodd books- great new vocab, all about a cute set of animal friends, no aged concepts like school dilemmas! VERY cute. The Hairy Maclary and Slinky Malinki books are absolute favorites....also, Julia Donaldson books...the Gruffalo, Room on the Broom, etc... Not the chapter book set but VERY fun to read and still challenging!
Can't wait to follow thread, would love more ideas...

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 7:19:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 13, 2012 8:15:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 8:02:45 AM PDT
Second graders vary a lot on their reading level, but here are some possible suggestions: Franny K. Stein, Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House, Geronimo Stilton, Cam Jansen, the Pee Wee Scouts. If she likes fairies, kids like the rainbow fairies, although they aren't great literature. There's always Captain Underpants!

I'd suggest reading aloud some books that are at or just above her reading level. Then she may be inspired to pick them up and read them.

It's not as high a level as Inkheart, but I think you might enjoy reading Pippi Longstocking and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 11:32:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 16, 2012 8:18:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 3:41:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 3:44:45 PM PDT
If she really is disinterested in reading, perhaps the _Ivy and Bean_ series is worth a look. The two girls are mischievous and fun. Each book has some element of "information" - like the talk of Mary Anning in _Ivy and Bean: Break the Fossil Record_. My 7-year-old granddaughter can almost read the books on her own, but enjoys my reading them to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 3:43:16 PM PDT
If she really is disinterested in reading, perhaps the _Ivy and Bean_ series is worth a look. The two girls are mischievous and fun. Each book has some element of "information" - like the talk of Mary Anning in _Ivy

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 5:58:49 AM PDT
Connie Rose says:
Look at Katie Woo or Princess Poses or Kylie Jean books?

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 12:14:06 AM PDT
Kevin Arnold says:
A great one is "Count On Henry Counting." It has a Shel Silverstein type of a vibe. I found it on Amazon as an ebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 6:09:31 AM PDT
G. Dalambert says:
Hello Hada,

Try Journeys of Butterfly Chloe by Gerdine Dalambert. It is a great book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 8:08:00 AM PDT
jnstar says:
Self-promotion is not permitted at this site.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 5:14:33 PM PDT
Gerdine: as jnstar said self promotion is against Amazon's rules. Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 4:15:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2012 8:54:54 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 4:44:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 5:59:29 AM PDT
jnstar says:
WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF-PROMOTING AUTHORS???? Find the appropriate place to recommend and sell your own books. Not here!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:22:57 PM PDT
Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Recently Published Children's Books 1718 13 hours ago
CHEVALIER: THE QUEEN'S MOUSEKETEER series (Fairy tale, fantasy, rhyming, bedtime story/picture book, for kids 4-10) 4 1 day ago
Children's Books:Children's Books:Children's Books 82 1 day ago
Exciting New Children's Books 7 1 day ago
Looking for a book/story about a courageous Rain drop 0 10 days ago
1960's Children's Book 30 12 days ago
Child in Wheelchair? 2 13 days ago
Please help with a title: boy and girl stranded on sinking island 24 17 days ago
Searching for Children's Illustrated book on farm animals through the seasons 2 17 days ago
Trying to remember a 1960's children's book about a dragon. 18 24 days ago
Daily Book Talk: Books for tweens - not young adults 58 25 days ago
I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now??? 370 25 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions