Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Children's Books: Self Esteem, Beauty, Being Different, etc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-68 of 68 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2009 8:03:32 PM PDT
Try "Bunny World: Kindness is the Key to Happiness", it is a wonderful story

Posted on May 30, 2009 2:57:09 PM PDT
Cello M says:
Karate Cat, which is available on Amazon, is about a fictional cat that trys to fit in with his peers. Its already got some glowing reviews and you should enjoy it. Its a great book to teach young ones about self-esteem as well.

Posted on May 29, 2009 4:15:09 PM PDT
Hello,
I am glad you liked my review of your book, Tiffany. I put the review you wrote for my book on my new website: www.michelehauserstories.com. (my other website is www.outskirtspress.com/crystalpalace)

THE CRYSTAL PALACE: RESCUE OF THE BABY FAIRY PRINCE is a book that highlights the strengths of the three human girls who go to Fairyland to find the missing baby fairy prince. Their intelligence, insight, and imagination, working together, helped them save the day! My second book, CRYSTAL PALACE: REBELLION IN FAIRYLAND will be published this fall. In this book, the three human girls return to Fairyland for the birthday celebration of that fairy prince, when there is a rebellion. The ogres and trolls have not been treated fairly in fairyland (after all, it is a medieval kingdom), and the human girls notice the inequities, and eventually help mediate a new "magna carta", giving certain rights to the ogres and trolls. So, again, the girls show strength and confidence and compassion.

Posted on May 26, 2009 7:45:11 PM PDT
T. Turner says:
I'd like to share a recent review on my book "The Lost Secret of Fairies". It deals with self esteem and helping the environment. It's written by another children's author that read it recently. She enjoyed the theme of self-confidence and mentioned it in her review.
Here is the review:
Michele Hauser "Author of The Crystal Palace:... (Playa Vista, California) - See all my reviews
Tiffany Turner's THE LOST SECRET OF THE FAIRIES is a fanciful tale which conjures up visions of a world of crystals and fairies, shadow creatures, and human interaction with both. I especially loved that once Wanda had become the Crystal Keeper for the Fairies, her pet cat Brewford began to communicate thoughts to her. Don't we all know our pets would have much to say if they could! And Brew's wisdom aided Wanda greatly as she sought to find the spring water tonic to cure the ailing fairies, and to enter the Shadow World in search of the kidnapped Queen of the Fairies. Also intriguing was the idea that the fairies often had animal forms in the human world. Who knows about the animals we come across...might they be fairies in animal form? The connection between the evil shadow world being facilitated by the increase of pollution on Earth was also clever and timely. The final resolution, for Keepers who may outgrow their belief in fairies, revolved around their responsibility as adults to work for healing our Earth, in laws, politics, books, and so forth, thus continuing to aid the fairies and to save the Earth. Wanda's experience as Keeper left her more confident and strong, and willing to believe in herself.

Written in first person, Wanda tells of her introduction to the Fairy Realm, her becoming the Keeper of the Fairies, and her quests to help the fairies. The author includes many details to help the reader imagine each scene and the feelings within the heroine, feelings common to many as they struggle with feelings of inadequacy. This book would be especially appealing to late elementary school and middle school students.

Posted on May 25, 2009 12:55:23 PM PDT
Pam Calvert says:
My book, PRINCESS PEEPERS, deals with this topic.

Hope this helps!

Pam Calvert

Posted on May 24, 2009 12:07:14 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011 6:15:19 AM PDT]

Posted on May 22, 2009 6:17:31 PM PDT
Grace says:
"Fairest" by Gail Carson Levine. I suggest that for girls between the ages of 8-12.
I'm not sure if that is EXACTLY what you were looking for, but hey.

~Rinnie

Posted on May 21, 2009 1:12:51 PM PDT
Wayward says:
It seems like Demi has a few good ones. All I can think of is the Hungry Coat at the moment (don't judge a book by its cover) but there is a series of 3, starting with The Empty Pot, and at least one does deal with the importance of who you are rather than what you look like/how you fit in.

Posted on May 21, 2009 9:04:38 AM PDT
M. Mitchell says:
Edward the Emu is a great book about being happy with who you are.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2009 9:05:43 PM PDT
Kate Coombs says:
Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson is a fun alternative to Cinderella. It's a little obvious, but it's so cleverly written that I don't think you'll care! A slightly surreal yet lovely book about being different is The Boy Who Grew Flowers by Jennifer Wojtowicz. And Prince Cinders by Babette Cole is a funny version of Cinderella for boys. Oh, and there's Cinderhazel by Deborah Nourse Lattimore--it's a really funny Halloween Cinderella that turns the story upside down. Also, I don't know if you're just thinking of picture books, but a book for about second/third grade readers that's kind of a hoot and hits this message nicely is The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye. I love the sound of your workshops!

Posted on May 20, 2009 6:55:23 PM PDT
QuinnKate says:
Try Stephanie's Ponytail also by Robert Munsch, author of The Paper Bag Princess.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2009 5:25:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2009 5:25:50 PM PDT
Belle Bright says:
Hi Stacy,
I am a children's author. You might enjoy reading my story I wrote, "Lady-Bell Loses Her Wing." It starts out with Lady-Bell going to a new field with her two friends. Suddenly, the wind picks up and a stick hits her causing her wing to come off. Lady-Bell learns to find happiness in her life despite the fact that she has lost something valuable. She learns there is more happiness in giving then in recieveing. It helps children have compassion for others that might not have it as good as they do. Or it can help them see that even though they have lost somthing precious in their lives, they can still find happiness.
To obtain this book simply go to bbtrailsand tales@cox.net. Leave your e-mail address and any message and I will get back with you. I can send this book in the mail to your address.
Thanks
Belle Bright

Posted on May 20, 2009 10:41:36 AM PDT
stacy says:
These are great suggestions. Thanks to everyone who responded! I want to read them all, myself :)

Posted on May 20, 2009 10:39:17 AM PDT
I can think of a couple -- Princess Furball, which was a favorite of my daughters when she was young. This is a variant on the Cinderella story, where the princess doesn't have a fairy godmother, but, rather is taught to be self-reliant and resourceful and solve her own problems without relying simply on her physical beauty.

If you are looking for books to read aloud in a short amount of time, my next suggestion won't really help you, but I highly recommend Dealing With Dragons by Patricia Wrede. This is a mixed-up version of the rescue fantasy where the funny, smart and capable princess has to rescue the prince from a dragon. It's just a great book, and sends a terrific message to our girls that they needn't wait to be rescued by their prince, but can do the rescuing themselves.

Posted on May 20, 2009 7:55:05 AM PDT
K a t i e says:
One of my favorites is "Chowder" by Peter Brown. It's about a bulldog who's shunned by fellow dogs because he's different. Great pictures and funny story.

Posted on May 20, 2009 7:39:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 16, 2012 8:32:41 AM PDT]

Posted on May 20, 2009 7:30:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 8:46:10 AM PDT
Shakira says:
The spell of the witch queen is a wonderful tale about
being different ,jealously and the enduring bravery of the children
involved.They have many encounters along their journey.
One takes them into a magical forest,this a story written in a classical
style.
The Author is father of actress Sarah Farooqui (Lost).I highly recommend this book
for children between 6-11 years old. The female characters are especialy strong.The Spell of the Witch Queen

Initial post: May 19, 2009 5:16:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2009 10:40:58 AM PDT
stacy says:
Hi~

I run an alternative pageant circuit, and I do tiara / crown workshops for kids. I have a few books that I like to read to the kids, my favorite being the very popular The Paper bag Princes. I also have It's Okay to Be Different and Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? but I am less impressed by these two...

Does anyone have a suggestion that is along the same vein as The Paper Bag Princess?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  May 19, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions