Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Chapter Books for 2nd Graders

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 4, 2011 5:57:04 PM PDT
Not a chapter book, but a great choice for a boy this age:

The Pig Scramble

Full Disclosure: I am the author

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 3:52:15 PM PST
Christel says:
Jungle Gentle Giants: The Tale of The Three Gorilla Princes Worth a try.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 8:25:34 AM PST
Snow Valley Heroes A Christmas Tale Here's a dog story for Christmas...There was to be no more Christmas...This book tells of how dogs came down from their own planet to help Santa and the Elves find the kidnapped reindeer and to save Christmas for kids everywhere.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 12:41:44 PM PST
Recommend you try The Happy Hollisters series. These mystery/action adventure books were the #1 sellers in the 1960s and 1970s to the 7-11 age group. Newly reissued in paperback and eBook (Kindle and Nook), The Happy Hollisters are clean, wholesome fun. Your child will be thrilled with the fast-paced action and will not want to put the book down.The Happy Hollisters

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 5:50:22 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 27, 2011 2:51:31 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 3:23:10 PM PST
Candy K. says:
The Tales of Magicelant is a great little chapter book. It is an interesting and adorable book and short enough that children can read it in one sitting. AND it was written for kids by a kid!

Posted on May 30, 2012 3:25:20 PM PDT
HeartleyFaye says:
Wow, so much great feedback!! Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 9:04:05 AM PDT
I believe you are remembering The Childhood of Famous Americans series. Many more people have been added. They are reprinted in blue paperbacks and available in many bookstores, Amazon & Barnes & Noble. These are wonderful books, interesting for kids and give a great background for later academic learning. My children loved all of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 9:11:30 AM PDT
As a teacher I've wondered if anyone else was concerned about Junie B's attitude. The books are very clever and kids love them, in the end Junie's parents or teacher set her straight. But she never seems to really learn anything about appropriate behavior and kindness to others. I'm continually on the look out for books that provide a better role model.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 9:23:22 AM PDT
@Bethany: My K and 1st grader LOVE these books, but they always say "Mommy they have bad words in them". I think they are referring to "shut up" and "stupid" that are all over the books. I don't think they are TOO bad, and I buy them because my Kindergartner is not an avid reader, but actually likes these enough to spend free time trying to read them.

Posted on May 31, 2012 10:17:56 AM PDT
Gus and Grandpa is a delightful series and Mr. Putter and Tabby is fun for beginning readers without the bad words. Usborne Beginners series are colorful books about butterflies, airplanes, bears, frogs, trucks, etc. Great pictures and content that builds a young child's general knowledge whilst they learn reading skills.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 6:10:42 PM PDT
My Father's Dragon: The Bestselling Children Story

"My Father's Dragon" was my favorite book in second grade.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 6:12:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 31, 2012 6:13:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 6:14:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 1, 2012 2:59:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 7:04:15 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
G, that particular version may have been re-published in 2010, but the book is much, much older than that. I had classroom copies of it well prior to 2010.

Wikipedia tells me it was originally published in 1948, and was both a Newbery Honor book, and an ALA Notable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:59:42 AM PDT
Thanks Teacher! Paranoid? Who me? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:55:41 AM PDT
Debbie Dadey says:
As the co-author of the Bailey School Kids series, I can tell you I've had lots of good feedback from parents and kids telling me that the series really turned them on to reading. A good summer choice might be Werewolves Don't Go To Summer Camp. Hope your son enjoys it, Debbie

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:21:23 AM PDT
My 2nd grade daughter has loved the Black Lagoon series and the Wayside School series. Her all time favorite series is the biography series Who Was..... Or Who Is.... She loved Queen Elizabeth, Walt Disney, Jim Henson and Maria Tallchief. My sons loved A to Z mysteries and all my kids loved Magic Treehouse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:08:37 PM PDT
The biography series sounds VERY interesting. Is there a series of "who is" books? My 1st grader tends to really be interested in the history sections of her lessons (particularly MLK) and I think such a series would be worth investing in? Do you have a link?

Sadly, the treehouse series was an epic fail for my first grader. She told me that the "boys" in her class are more interested in this series?

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 3:39:27 PM PDT
There is a series Who Was...Harriet Tubman, Amelia Earhart, Ben Franklin, and others are featured. They are published by Grosset & Dunlap, available on Amazon. But there are above the reading level of most first graders. But would be good to read with your child. It is great that she has an interest in history!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:45:00 PM PDT
Thanks Bethany. I was a "Harriet Tubman" fangirl as a child :). I think my kidlets would really benefit from these books. Thanks :). My first grader REALLY loves historical figures.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 8:25:38 PM PDT
I recentlyHailey Twitch Is Not a Snitch bought Hailey Twitch Is Not a Snitch for my granddaughter it is an excellent chapter book for second grade girls. Perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 8:10:43 PM PDT
TRG-SYL says:
I think Magic Treehouse books are well suited for either gender.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 12:17:40 AM PDT
silky69 says:
My child loved Magic Treehouse series around second grade. He read one right after the other and we kept having to make trips to the library to get the next in the series. He also liked the boxcar children, but we read some of those together.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:30:49 PM PDT
Book Lover says:
You might also try the Daisy Dawson series. They are new to me, but my students like them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Can't remember the name; childrens book with dinosaurs 2 4 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 50 8 days ago
Looking for a book about a man who keeps patching his clothes with other parts of his clothes. 0 10 days ago
Looking for Sarah & Can-do children's book 1 21 days ago
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 Jun 16, 2016
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 Jun 9, 2016
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 Jun 6, 2016
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 May 30, 2016
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions