Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Making the call, what do you look for when choosing your kids' books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-56 of 56 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:58:59 PM PDT
My daughter and I just read a great book on Kindle, The Wig by Renata Suerth. Down to earth, funny with a challenging vocabulary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 12:41:33 AM PDT
If your children love books based on animals, I invite you to read the following: THE PHANTOM FOX: SWORD OF LEGEND

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 2:40:39 PM PDT
This doesn't suit all, I know, but I look for books which push the boundary back as far as the writer dares (although of course, still only up to a point, if that's not a contradiction), in relation to the target readership. So for YA books, I look for plots and dialogue which are fine for adults too, that's why I think Philip Reeve's works are fabulous, it's like he's saying 'I know you are only 14, but not so long ago that was a man's age, and even if not the case now, then the years will soon pass, so here' s a little bit of what life's going to be like for you'. For those a little younger, then books which have a little here and there beyond what most consider to be suitable. This actively prevents 8, 9, 10 year olds picking up books, say, about Eddy the Teddy taking his gran's parcel to the post office, and instead, provides something at least a little meatier, such as Julia Golding's Cat Royal books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 5:24:48 PM PDT
You are absolutely right! Example is soooo important when raising kids.
I raised three of my own and now am helping out with nine grandchildren. We did lots of bedtime reading in my house and still do with the grandchildren. I also am a volunteer for Bookworks, a Head Start reading program to promote literacy to preschool children from low income households. It is amazing how loving and appreciative those little ones are. They are truly getting a Head Start before entering Big School! Keep up the good and important work. Marilyn

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 11:07:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 11:11:19 PM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
This might be a really cute book but this isn't a self promotion forum. We'd appreciate if you'd share what YOU like/want/don't want in children's books. Please keep self-promotion to the MOA.

Also, I noticed a misspelling in your book description. The word enslaved has been missepelled "inslave".

May I suggest a quick trip to the following fora in MOA for additional suggestions/hints/helps: http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdPage=34&cdThread=Tx2FP8BEDKGPGN8#CustomerDiscussionsNew
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdPage=29&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70#CustomerDiscussionsNew

They're really nice people over there.

edited to remove extra word

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 11:10:14 PM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
When we were little, my mom (trust me, normally veeerry conservative in her views) participated in a group called Serve The People Playgroup. It was an all volunteer daycare school where they taught preschoolers basic skills in a fun environment. I really credit this experience with a positive view of learning over all. It was also my first exposure to Dr. Suess!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
looking for a kids book about a boy and a seal in Puget Sound 1 8 hours ago
Can't remember the name; childrens book with dinosaurs 2 7 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 50 11 days ago
Looking for a book about a man who keeps patching his clothes with other parts of his clothes. 0 13 days ago
Looking for Sarah & Can-do children's book 1 23 days ago
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 Jun 16, 2016
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 Jun 9, 2016
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 Jun 6, 2016
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 May 30, 2016
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions