Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Need book suggestions for 9 year-old boy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 126 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 2, 2010 10:22:50 PM PST
El Toro says:
Try The Five Ancestors by Jeff Stone. It takes place in 17th China - lots of kung fu good guy vs. bad guy stuff, but the main characters are 11-16 year old Kung Fu masters. It is a good way for the kids to learn about other cultures as well. I started reading my daughter's books and got hooked myself! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 12:13:15 PM PST
June Stoll says:
I absolutely agree! This series has become a firm favourite in my house with a 10 year old boy. I find it so hard to find series of books that interest him and are age appropriate. Recommend this series to ANYONE with upper elementary school age boys.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 12:34:28 PM PST
jenmb says:
My son is 11 now, but started reading The Alex Ryder(by Anthony Horowitz) series in 3rd grade. It's really the first series of books that kept him enthralled. Since then he's found more series' that he loves. Here are some of his favorites: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Gatekeepers Series (by Anthony Horowitz), The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (the first in a series of books called The Secrets of the Immmortal Nicholas Flamel), and The Rangers Apprentice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 5:11:35 PM PST
M. Spagnola says:
I would suggest The Bermuda Triangle and the Lost Island. Perfect for someone who likes adventure stories.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 6:49:52 PM PST
I'm surprised more people didn't suggest the Ranger's Apprentice series. Kudos to Avid Reader and jenmb. This series is perfect for a 9 year old boy. This is a Science Fiction series about a young orphan boy (13) who goes on adventures while learning to be a Ranger (sort of like a spy/wilderness expert). The series reminded me a lot of Harry Potter due to the similarities in the nature of the characters, but the adventures are definitely new and exciting. I just finished the latest one, Erak's Ransom, and can't wait for The Kings of Clonmel, which is coming out in May. The books are not as long as the Harry Potter books, but just so you know, several of the books have cliffhanger endings. The writing is engaging and clever, and the characters are well developed. When my nephew gets old enough, he will definitely be reading this series!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 2:26:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2010 2:45:10 PM PST
Janis Power says:
Who Rescued Who? (2009 Moonbeam Children's Book Award Gold Medal Winner!) The main character is a boy who just turned 10 years old and gets a dog for his birthday. It is an emotional book that a 9 year old boy can relate to if he is a dog lover. It is an easy read for a 9 year old which makes the chapters fly by - something late blooming readers can appreciate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 4:50:30 PM PST
A great book is:
Here There Be Dragons
In Search of the Red Dragon
By James Owens (both easily found on Amazon) My 9 year old LOVED them and we just bought the next two in the series and are devouring them.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 4:03:15 PM PDT
I am looking for an old picture book. I don't remember the title or author. It was about a pumpkin and a little mouse. The mouse makes a home in the pumpkin and it becomes a jack o lantern or maybe it was a jack o lantern in the beginning and the mouse made a home in it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was my mother's and I lost it as a teen. I'd love to get it for her. Help???

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 4:25:44 PM PDT
I second the Narnia series by C.S. Lewis and also recommend the Wrinkle in Time Quintet by Madeleine L'Engle. What reading level is your son on? I ask because I am a teacher and would make recommendations based on this.
Happy Reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 1:40:16 PM PDT
Sharon2 says:
Hi Luis,
I've been searching for your book. I hope this is it.
'Mouskin's Golden House' by Edna Miller. It is out of print but there are used books for sale on Amazon. Let me know if this is the book you were looking for.
Thanks, Sharon Schenbeck
Author of 'Barky's Bone'

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 2:03:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2010 2:04:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 2:53:17 PM PDT
K. McNamara says:
Luis E Milan:
Possibly Mousekin's Golden House by Edna Miller?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 3:45:40 PM PDT
perzianblue says:
I recommend 'Beetles Lightlt Toasted'. I loved this book and if your son likes humor, he should too. You'll probably have to get it used from Amazon as I did, because I don't think it's currently being printed. It's about a by and his science project for a contest and provides much humor.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2010 7:38:20 PM PDT
the gunner says:
How about andre Norton's juveniles

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 10:12:11 AM PDT
C. Miller says:
This may seem really obvious given the movie that has just come out but my third grade son has LOVED the How to Train Your Dragon series by Cressida Cowell. He looks forward to reading each night!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 8:59:03 AM PDT
I Am A Good Boy: A Letter To Daddy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2010 9:08:38 AM PDT
the gunner says:
Thanks

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 3:12:15 PM PDT
Britzone says:
The Time Piece by Al Stewart is about a boy thrown 100 years into the past to prevent time from repeating itself. It's sort of Science Fiction / Fantasy Adventure.

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 3:41:55 PM PDT
I've written several books that target that age.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=digital-text&field-author=Matthew%20L.%20Martin

Low prices. Give them a shot. There are short stories told in rhyme, as well as novels and novellas that are totally G to PG.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 12:06:05 PM PDT
FourWinds says:
I would suggest the Up North Adventure series (Muskie Attack and Ancient Elk Hunt) by G.M. Moore. Funny, fast-paced and action-packed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 3:52:48 PM PST
Nick says:
Take a look at these books
Paudie's Magical Adventure's
Paudie's Terrible Foe's
On Amazon and Kindal
Great read with honest simple values

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 12:10:22 PM PST
Try the Sweet Farts series. Don't judge a book by its cover. These books have science, history, and humor. Very funny and quick reads. Sweet Farts: Rippin' It Old School (Sweet Farts Series)

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 2:41:07 PM PST
Recommend you try The Happy Hollisters. These mystery/action adventure books were the #1 seller in the 1960s to the 7-11 age group. They are clean, wholesome fun. Your child will be thrilled with the fast-paced action and will not want to put the book down.The Happy Hollisters

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 9:21:15 PM PST
Flotsam paperback

You might want to try, Flotsam, By Stephanie Skeem. It's a entertaining chapter book, with a good message, and fun characters.

Flotsam kindle

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 6:43:37 AM PST
C. Hall says:
Chronicles of Narnia Movie Tie-in Box Set The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (rack)

J.R.R. Tolkien Boxed Set (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings)

The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp #1)

The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles)

Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark

How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found

Holes

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Books with maps or diagrams of familiar places 0 9 days ago
book full of crafts and diy projects for kids 0 16 days ago
kids book: man moves to an island, it gets developed, he moves on to another?? 0 19 days ago
Looking for a Christian fiction and Christian biography book for a 10 year old 49 23 days ago
New book for kids about a magical hat that can make kid stop crying! 0 26 days ago
a book about a caterpillar that turns into a butterfly. 18 May 20, 2016
Picture Book about a cute little garden snail in search of her best friend Catherine the Caterpillar. For ages infant through 2nd grade. Book set includes: Book, Audio Book, Coloring Book, Stickers and 9 character song CD. 0 May 7, 2016
ISO English Camelot-based Fantasy from Mid-1950s or earlier 1 Apr 13, 2016
ISO a book I read in the 90s when I was in middle school 1 Apr 9, 2016
Exciting New Children's Books 22 Apr 6, 2016
Mamas Love Boogers - A childrens book everyone can get a smile out of 0 Apr 4, 2016
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 34 Apr 3, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions