Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Looking for good books for kids in kindergarten/ 1st grade level

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2012 1:33:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 1:35:31 PM PDT
sandy.morgan says:
Hello!

I am a first grade teacher and I am always looking for good books to give to my kids to read! I am looking for books that are inspirational...to help show kids how to deal with certain situations.

There are a few books I recently purchased that were great! I will share them below. Please feel free to share the books that your kids love as well!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/i-want-to-do-what-you-do-mr./id475846500?mt=11
( I got this book for my ipad but it is available on the kindle as well. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Want-What-You-Kangaroo-ebook/dp/B0085DGJ36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339183183&sr=8-1)

You Are Special (Max Lucado's Wemmicks)

The Oak Inside the Acorn

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:20:54 PM PDT
merrystar says:
My first grader adored the Hopscotch Hill School books by Valerie Tripp I thought they were excellent as "how to deal with" books. The one on teasing was particularly good.

He also loves anything Berenstain Bears. The chapter books are not quite as "lesson-y" as the picture books, but he loves them.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:47:55 PM PDT
Ms. P. says:
Here are a few of my favorite read-alouds for first through fourth graders. :)

Ruby The Copycat (Scholastic Bookshelf: Being Yourself)

A Bad Case of Stripes

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon

Thank You, Mr. Falker

Welcome Comfort

Owl Moon

The Little House

My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Giraffes Can't Dance (Magnet Book)

Tacky the Penguin (Tacky Book)

Hooway for Wodney Wat

My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother (Aladdin Picture Books)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 1:24:26 PM PDT
tinaffan says:
I suggest Books to build on a grade by grade resource guide for parents and teachers by E.D. Hirsch. They have lists of books for each grade (K-6) I suggest borrowing it from a local library as it is just lists but i have found it to be an amazing addition to our home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 2:52:08 PM PDT
Lady in Red says:
This is a new children's classic! And it's FREE today!
Wookiwoo, I Love You

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:40:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 7:42:11 PM PDT
Suze says:
The Bell Ringer - Written and Illsutrated by Robert A. Brubaker recently became an International Book Award Winning Finalist. Peruse through the sample pictures and you will understand why. It's a great bedtime story and the illustrations are phenomonal. All the kids we know absolutely love it!

The Bell Ringer

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:12:33 PM PDT
all kids must read "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:08:07 PM PDT
cathyr says:
The only book you've ever reviewed is this one, twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:09:24 PM PDT
cathyr says:
And the only book you've reviewed is this one.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:04:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 8:06:34 AM PDT
Marvin Hurst says:
So if you do the exact Google search 'Looking for good books for kids in kindergarten' you'll find this page. I'll be checking out some of the recommendations but thought I'd add a couple of my own. My daughter never seems to get tired of these:

The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Apparently really famous (who knew?)
Mrs. Crump's Cat
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright & Early Books)
Although the attraction to this one could be the animated way I read it ;)
Where the Wild Things Are 50th Anniversary Edition (rpkg)
Honestly I got this more for myself as I remember it from when I was a kid.
And our most recent one:
Kangaroo Kangaroo Where Are You? A Delightful Children's Picture Book
Super colourful with a nice rhythmic storyline.

Hope you enjoy these as much as we do...

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 1:02:14 PM PDT
Wayward says:
I think the Chester Raccoon books match your criteria (and they're good!) A Pocket Full of Kisses
Books by Charlotte Zolotow have the same strong values; although they aren't as situational based. Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present; Over and Over
The Demi books are also great; with strong values: The Empty Pot
I think Westlandia is a great story, demonstrating that it's important to be unique and okay to be different.
The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch is another good one, especially for girls, showing that you don't have to wait for some guy in shining armor to rescue you. A real princess doesn't let herself be a victim. It's lighter and will appeal to kids who like comedy.
I also highly recommend Todd Parr's books. They are a very low reading level, but they're fun to read and really appeal to kids of all ages. The focus is always that it's okay to be you. It's okay to think outside the box, etc. My kids are 10 and 14 and jumped at the chance to go to a book signing of his just because his books made an impact on them. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 9:46:40 PM PDT
My Kindergartener loves The Hiccupotamus although it's not particularly inspirational :)
As for life-situations, we both liked Time to Get Ready, Bunny! for talking about the getting out the door rush (during a not rush time, of course!) and then planning ways to get to school on time.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:20:44 PM PDT
cathyr says:
I like this Dr Seuss My Many Colored Days for feelings. Also Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Mem Fox's Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild! shows an adult getting frustrated, and still loving her daughter. Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge also by Mem Fox, is a lovely look at old age.

For some nice science lessons, I like Pamela Allen's Mr. Archimedes' Bath (Picture Puffins) and Alexander's Outing Graeme Base's books have beautiful images http://www.amazon.com/Graeme-Base/e/B000APQOO6/ref=pd_sim_b_bl_98. Animalia The Water Hole and Jungle Drums examine ecology, animals, and our impact on the environment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 8:24:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 13, 2012 8:37:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 9:45:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 13, 2012 10:13:42 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:52:21 AM PDT
kenisha says:
Middle Shmiddle

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:17:16 PM PDT
Laura G says:
Our favorites for this age are: the Shredderman series, The Bear and Grandma Scaratti's Spaghetti, and Make Way for Ducklings. At kindergarten, you may need to read most of these stories, but as a child gets a bit older they begin to take over!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:37:02 PM PDT
Tanessa and the Messy Room Monster

Rainbow Fish Big Book

My Grandchildren LOVE these books, and the first one is at a great price

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:13:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 15, 2012 9:16:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:15:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 15, 2012 12:34:20 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:01:31 PM PDT
hb says:
Mommy, Me & My Chickens: An Urban Family's Guide to Raising & Caring for Backyard Chickens

How about "Mommy, Me & My Chickens" -- I just read it to the local Kindergarten and first grade classes and they loved it. Kids related to the simple, yet fun drawings, and its easy for them to read. Plus, lots of teachers are now hatching eggs in the classroom, so this book goes great with that lesson.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 1:57:06 PM PDT
This one is great, fun pictures and silly rhymes i like myself by karen beaumont I Like Myself!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 4:05:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 15, 2012 5:43:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 4:11:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 15, 2012 5:41:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:26:49 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Sounds like an interesting book, but youcan't promote it here. It is against Amazon's guidelines for authors to promote their books outside of the Meet Our Authors forum.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions