Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Fantasy/SciFi Books for a 13 year old Boy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2012 8:25:29 PM PDT
My son is 13 and he has run out of books to read. He reads them very fast so a nice long book would be best. Please give me some suggestions for him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:03:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 9:10:58 PM PDT
cathyr says:
You've tried Percy Jackson, Tolkein, Heinlein, Asimov? Ender's Game (series)?

David Eddings, Stephen Donaldson, Raymond E Feist (Magician), Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Paolini, Philip Pullman, Roger Zelazny, Douglas Adams, Frank Herbert, George Orwell.

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure.

ETA http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

ETA2 now I'm going through that link and thinking "I loved that book!"; how many hours are there in a day? Surely I can fit in a few more to read some classics...

ETA3 A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, Book 1)! Such as 13yo boy book.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 7:05:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 9:51:48 AM PDT
SciFi, one of my favorite categories to read!

Here's some good young adult (ages 12 and up) SciFi I've enjoyed:

Skyship Academy: The Pearl Wars
The Comet's Curse: A Galahad Book
Black Hole Sun
Pathfinder

My 16-yr-old son's favorite fantasy series:
Anything by Cinda Williams Chima. She has two series, The Heir Chronicles and The Seven Realms
Also The Thief (The Queen's Thief, Book 1)
The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set

eta: Cathyr-I haven't heard of A Spell for Chameleon, will definitely check it out. (I think I have the reading tastes of a 13-yr-old :) )

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:29:58 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Piers Anthony's Xanth series - think 13yo locker room humour, including sexist puns. Hysterically funny when you're a teen but rather un PC. I know I didn't care, but looking back can see the issues. Of course, not untypical of sf and fantasy of the time.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 8:16:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 22, 2012 3:11:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 9:25:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 22, 2012 3:39:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:52:55 AM PDT
B. Munroe says:
Try Ouroboros by Christopher Turkel - should be perfect for a 13 year old -

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 7:04:41 AM PDT
S. Bell says:
Has he read the Tapestry series? The first book is called the Hound of Rowan, and the main character, a boy, is about your son's age in the first book. I love the series (which is still coming out with new books, the fourth one is coming out this fall) and, like your son, I read books very quickly. Fortunately, I think they have 400+ pages each. My only complaint is that it takes the author, Henry Neff, a very long time to get books out.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 3:14:25 PM PDT
E. Garcia says:
No prob. Sorry, I am completely new to this. Thanks for the head's up. I would still like to recommend Orson Scott Card and Dianna Wynne Jones as authors for the OP to check out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 3:38:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 3:53:21 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Here's a tip. Make sure you have a link on your profile to your Amazon Author Profile. Now, never promote your book on any Amazon discussion forum except MOA, instead create an interesting presence showing you know your stuff, express yourself well, care about your readers and their reading experience. As a *person* you will intrigue people to click on your profile and find out just who you are. By presenting professionally you will sell more books than by spamming.

So, Orson Scott Card and Dianna Wynne Jones. Both excellent classic authors. I've even heard an "Ender's Game" movie is in the works (another YA book entering Hollywood). Any other recs? Or thoughts?

ETA this thread has been started in MOA to help new authors with publicity on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 5:44:48 PM PDT
E. Garcia says:
Thanks, Cathyr! I appreciate your tips and your time :-) Will check out the link ASAP!

As far as other recs-- Terry Pratchett might be a good fit. The OP should also check out this website: http://guysread.com/ Lots of excellent, vetted recommendations for "boy books."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 5:51:46 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Excellent link.

Terry Pratchett - I read his earlier books, and loved them. But lost interest after a while (as I am sure many readers understand). Was he able to maintain the humour, or did he get repetitive?

I also like to recommend Douglas Adams. The Hitchhikers Guide has to remain a classic, especially if you can get the audio - the original BBC or read by the author The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Word for Word), Unabridged Edition

(I grew up with brothers and we were all sf/fantasy nuts, but I can't get my daughter to read any of the classics *sigh*. Still, I'll rec them all I can!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 5:57:22 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Re tips: Have a look at what Dee Garretson has done. She's making herself invaluable as a discussion participant, but doesn't (or no longer) promotes her books. And when you link to her profile you get all the information she wants you to know.

(Often authors put the web page link as a link to the author's page on Amazon, and put their external web page link and/or twitter/facebook feeds there (ie author's page). It seems to decrease the number of clicks by the customer and gets them where you want them faster - buying your book!)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 3:36:10 PM PDT
Ender's Game.
Best Science Fiction Novel I've ever read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:07:19 AM PDT
silky69 says:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
1984 by Orson Wells
The Celestine Prophesy
Island of Dr. Moreau

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:04:18 AM PDT
Let's see...

Any of Heinlein's young adult books. Starman Jones, The Red Planet, Starship Galileo, Starship Troopers (NOT that travesty of a movie!), Citizen of the Galaxy, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Space Cadets, Farmer in the Sky, The Rolling Stones, The Star Beast, Podkayne of Mars, etc.

The first three Raymond Feist books, the Magician series. Would be good because it'll be a gateway to the rest of the series as he gets older.

Cinda Williams Chima "Heir" trilogy, very good. Think Harry Potter, but edgy like Hunger Games, both of which would also be good as well.

Artemis Fowler Books, they are lots of fun.

Prince Ombra by Roderick MacLeish.

Any of the "Robot" books by Asimov.

"Flinx" books by Alan Dean Foster. Also "Midworld" if he enjoyed Avatar.

The Animorphs books are good, but he may be a bit beyond them if he's a heavy reader.

And I also liked Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:34:35 AM PDT
Also, the Dave Duncan books - "The Seventh Sword" trilogy and "A Man of His Word" four book set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:41:44 AM PDT
I would suggest (who wouldn't) my own book
'The adventures of Daisy Weal' is is a Fantasy adventure for children from ten to their old age
it is an omnibus edition, that contains all four books in the Daisy Weal series. and is 564 pages.
buying it this way, saves the price of one book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:11:33 AM PDT
It may be good, but self-promotion outside of the Meet Our Authors (MOA) forum is against the Terms of Service (TOS).

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 11:18:30 AM PDT
Try Furies of calderon

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 1:33:43 PM PDT
Tom Brosz says:
Wow. The list is starting to look like my bookshelf. I enjoyed many of these books when I was young (the ones that were written back then--on clay tablets, as I recall), and I can't think of one of them that still isn't a good read now that I'm 58.

Think about getting him an e-reader. An amazing number of great classical adventure writers (Wells, Verne, Doyle, and many others) that were favorites of mine can be had in their entirety for a few dollars. If he has a computer or smartphone, you can get a Kindle app that runs on it for free.

(Okay, maybe that's a plug, but I don't think Amazon will mind.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 1:37:22 PM PDT
Tom Brosz says:
If you stopped reading Pratchett after his earlier books, you're really missing something.

His books for younger readers include the excellent Tiffany Aching series.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 3:03:00 PM PDT
Wayward says:
The Tolkein Lord of the Rings books, starting with The Hobbit
Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth
Terry Pratchett; Nation
The books several 80's cult classic movies were based on: Last Unicorn, Neverending Story, Princess Bride
Neil Gaiman's books

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 3:27:12 PM PDT
G. says:
Actually, I read the Dune series at that age (I am female) and loved them! I also loved the Katherine Kurtz series:Deryni Rising (Chronicles of the Deryni).

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:20:07 PM PDT
E. Garcia says:
I agree that Pratchett has continued to be an engaging writer. The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents is one of my favorites.

Depending on the maturity of your son, you may also want to look into *some* of Stephen King's books. The Green Mile, for example, was one of my favorites as a teen. I'd definitely read them ahead of your son, though, because there is "mature" content in several of his best works.

Has anyone mentioned Ray Bradbury?

Thanks, CathyR, for the tips. You've given me a great start! I don't want to further hijack this post with authorly stuff, so I'll keep researching from here. I do appreciate your kindness and time!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions