Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Reccomendations??? Pre-School Aged Books???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 228 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2008 3:19:32 AM PST
My kids (age 2 and 3) love books, and I am constantly on the lookout... It feels like we've read all the popular titles already. My 3 year old can sit through chapter books (i.e., Stuart Little, Cricket in Times Square, etc.), but still enjoys picture books (i.e., Owl Babies, Dr. Seuss, etc.). Please offer your opinions: what are the best titles out there for kids (6 years old and younger-ISH)---chapter books as well as younger picture books?
P.S. Not to limit the response, but my boy especially loves trains and owls, and my girl princesses and baby animals. We are already familiar with Thomas the Train books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 6:50:54 AM PST
Corey says:
Wow! Too many to list. For boys try "My Truck is Stuck" (Kevin Lewis) and "Tyrannosaurus Drip" (Julia Donaldson). For girls "Paper Bag Princess" (munsch) and "Waking Beauty" (wilcox)

I have many more suggestions listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/Picture-books-wish-had-written/lm/R2KSNVLAV2Y3BU/ref=cm_lmt_dtpa_f_2_rdssss1?pf_rd_p=253462201&pf_rd_s=listmania-center&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0802780563&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1F9ZZ3MJJVTA5AATSGZC

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 8:51:12 AM PST
Barbara G. says:
my 3 year old absolutely LOVES 'Karate Cat' by Marcello M. Check it out, just search for Karate Cat in the amazon search bar. I think your 2 & 3 year old will have their attention held by this fun little book because it has really colorful, well-done illustrations as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 12:00:34 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2009 2:53:21 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 12:01:59 PM PST
J. klonicki says:
There are great resources on library websites-- wherever you live, you should peruse the Youth Services page on the public library website. There, you should be able to find bibliographies full of books to explore. Here a couple of sites in addition:

http://education.wisc.edu/ccbc (Cooperative Children's Book Center of University of Wisconsin-Madison from which you can navigate to the bibliographies)

www.spl.org (Seattle Public Library webpage from which you can navigate to the children's area)

http://kids.nypl.org (New York Public Library kids' page)

Have fun! While I could list off a million books that I think are great for preschoolers, you know your own kids best-- and what they will like

One suggestion though that we don't have in the catalog at my library but I highly recommend for this age level are the "Touch the Art" series by Julie Appel

Good luck and happy browsing for you and your kids!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 12:28:20 PM PST
Kathie says:
For 3-6 year old girls I suggest the Fancy Nancy books. They are also available for the "I Can Read" group. One of my favorite books for all pre schoolers is GO AWAY BIG GREEN MONSTER and CAPS FOR SALE. Also the John Lithgow books are great since you can sing them. I'm a Grandma and a retired preschool teacher with 27 years of experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 8:26:12 PM PST
Ayot says:
I recommend "Freight Train" by Donald Crews; written in the 70s, I think. It's a very simple picture book with few words, describing a train with cars of different bright colors, and where it travels. My two sons loved it -- and I could read it repeatedly without screaming!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008 5:23:02 AM PST
Jill Morgan says:
I'd recommend Pickle-Chiffon Pie which has a nice message about the importance of consideration for others along with a princess, and Miss Suzy (a little squirrel) which is a sweet story of friendship with great pictures by Arnold Lobel (Frog & Toad). My personal favorite at 3 was Mr. Pine's Purple House which lets kids know its good to be yourself and stand out from the crowd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 8:12:50 AM PST
Kate Coombs says:
This is such a large question! I suggest you take a look at the ALA Notable Book lists, which have the added benefit of dividing books into groups like "picture book," "older readers," etc and are annotated, to boot. They go back for years, and the Caldecotts and Newberys are embedded in them. Another source would be the lists of Parents Choice Awards for books. (Google both of these, of course.) And if you go to my website, www and katecoombs and dot com, under For Readers, near the bottom, I have a list of my favorite read-alouds for first graders, which might work, too. At the moment, the picture books I like best are Mini Grey's Traction Man books and just about anything by Mo Willems. Have you gotten any of the Richard Scary books, by the way? And my favorite classic book for perusing with children is Go, Dog. Go! Each spread is intriguing! Another vehicles-type book your son might like is Trashy Town--very readable. Jamberry and Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed are also terrific for their rhythm and repetition. No need to push into chapter books when your children are so young and there's a world of incredible picture books to explore, in my opinion--there will be plenty of time for that in a couple of years!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 1:31:46 PM PST
Aloha Have you seen The Travels of Kui the African Spurred Tortoise. Good values of freindship and family. Adventure as Kui makes he way through the harsh African jungel. the fact that Kui is a real pet tortoise that now live in Hawaii just might spark their interest. Kuis picture is on the back cover of the book

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 8:45:43 PM PST
Gina Brooke says:
The Little Light Shines Bright is a terrific book ! It has wonderful illustations about the world's longest burning lightbulb. It's a true story and at the end of the
book there are real photos showing the lightbulb and firetrucks ! It's educational plus a great bedtime story !!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 11:16:12 AM PST
Anything by Graeme Base, like Animalia or the Water Hole. The most gorgeous and intriguing pictures and very interesting stories. Animalia is a wonderful alphabet book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 8:32:52 PM PST
wolfglass says:
My daughter is 3 and right now the Olivia books are one of her favorites (especially Olivia Helps with Christmas which we have just pulled out from the holiday books). We also really like Winnie the Pooh. We have some of the Lessons from the Hundred Acre Wood which I don't think are available in stores anymore, though maybe you could find them used. All the Disney Little Golden Books about Cinderella, Snow White, the Little Mermaid, etc. are big hits, though I've had to take a pen and correct the grammar and punctuation in a large number of them. They don't seem to have very good proofers. Little Miss and Mr. Men books. My Little Pony books, though the stories are just tooooo cute for me. The Box of Treats, I think it's called, by Kevin Henkes. I don't like a lot of his other stories, oddly, but the treat books are pretty cute. If you think your kids are ready for something older with less pictures (big print, but a picture every 5 pages or so) then I suggest the Magic Tree House series. My daughter goes nuts for these, though we've only gotten the first two so far. She will sit through the entire story. She wants to pretend play that we're Annie and Jack and have adventures with dinosaurs and knights. Hey, she knows what the Cretaceous Period is now and can identify several dinosaurs so I consider it money well spent. We bought the ones that came with CDs and they are great for car trips - 30+ minutes of enraptured silence from the backseat. Of course, I find the author's voice just a little annoying, so brace yourself, and every time we get in the car I hear "I want MY story. Dinosaurs Before Dark, Mommy!!" and that gets a little annoying too. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 9:37:43 PM PST
Llama Llama Red Pajama! Also, Frog and Toad books. My 3 year old loves them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 9:44:23 PM PST
It might sound corny but any of the Dr. Dolittle books, encouraged me to learn to read and I loved it when my mom read them to me. I also don't know how you feel about the Harry Potter series (some moms of younger children don't like the violence) but I know that also made me like to read.
This is also crazy but The Secret Garden. I read that in the 3rd grade (by myself) and all of the C.S. Lewis books.
My sister (who HATES to read) her favorite book is "Goodnight Moon". That might say something about children's aversion to reading. I can dig up some more of my old books if you are interested. I don't know if you can like reply, but if you can, I will definately try to find some age appropriate books for you if you kids love stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 12:16:37 PM PST
Wildflower Mom;
I bet that they would really love my children's picture book "A Dragon's Birth" you can find it here on amazon. This is the first in a series of thirteen that I am working on. The second book in this series should be available soon. Let me know what they think of it.
Terry Reschke

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 2:53:14 AM PST
Eric Hallam says:
I am a first time author who would like to add my children's picture book, "Big Dreams," to this discussion. It is intended for children ages 2 to 7, so I think a three year old would love it.

I wrote "Big Dreams" last winter while my wife was pregnant with our twins. "Big Dreams" is intended to create many, many different images in order to encourage wonderfully vivid dreams. At perhaps no other time in our lives, are we more likely to think we can do anything, than as a child. This book strives to create images in a soothing, sleep-inducing pattern, to stimulate the mind and help create incredible dreams. Ideally, your kids will fall asleep and dream about the scenarios that will be planted into their imaginations throughout the story.

You can preview the entire book as well as the free elive mp3 download on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9WFVbhLEMw

You can also check out a nice review on www.readingjungle.com "Top Banana of the month."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 7:26:18 AM PST
If you don't have it yet Out of the Nursery is great plus the pictures are really unique. Also there an old book called stone soup that is really cute and about sharing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 7:38:59 AM PST
Dj DeBaldo says:
Try "The Fruit Flyz", Its fresh and fruitful messages should be warmly received by you and the kidz will love the characters and identify with their fun and happy apple picking day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 3:25:34 PM PST
Moh Daoud says:
from the alphabet to 1st grade reading, the best free site: www.starfall.com.
Teach your infant the phonics, NOT THE ALPHABET SONG on Barney's show. Then the pre-school stories on that site, with fun animations and sounds. Then the level 1 stories and books on that site. Etc..
The I Can Read series is a good one too. Available on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 9:43:43 AM PST
Vicki says:
I just purchased Out of the Nursery by Elizabeth Gauthier and If you give a cat a cupcake by Felcia Bond and Laura Numeroff both books my 3 year old loves.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 10:16:52 AM PST
Rachel Glatz says:
My mom just got my son (Age 3) the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" series (give a mouse a cookie, give a moose a muffin, etc.) He really enjoys them and after each story there are songs and recipes to try. "The Little Engine That Could," "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel," and "Curious George" are favorites too. As for simple picture books, you can try "Five Little Ladybugs" which has raised ladybugs your kids can feel as they turn the pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 3:36:29 PM PST
Hello,

I would not reccommend this book if I didn't think your daughter will love it...it's also a keepsake for later for the both of you.

Try "You Make Me Want to Sing" (Music Stories) if you'd like. Kids and parents like it a lot. The reading level is 4-8 - the sentiment is timeless. I hope you don't mind the plug.

Kathy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 7:54:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 5, 2009 11:58:16 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 9:23:12 PM PST
Shufong Shih says:
My 4 year old is in love with the Frog and Toad series. The stories of frienship are great. These have been his firs request since age 2. These are also great for the begining reader

He also loves all of Eric Carle's books. The illustrations are unique.

As for train books my recommendation is "The Little Red Train Storybook... Four Fabulous Adventures" by Benidict Blathwayt. The repetitive train sounds (clickity clack and woooo-wooo) get the little ones into the story. The exquisit detail of the illustrations delights at every read
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Exciting New Children's Books 4 21 hours ago
Looking for a book/story about a courageous Rain drop 0 1 day ago
Children's Books:Children's Books:Children's Books 79 2 days ago
Recently Published Children's Books 1712 2 days ago
1960's Children's Book 30 3 days ago
Child in Wheelchair? 2 4 days ago
Please help with a title: boy and girl stranded on sinking island 24 8 days ago
Searching for Children's Illustrated book on farm animals through the seasons 2 8 days ago
Trying to remember a 1960's children's book about a dragon. 18 15 days ago
Daily Book Talk: Books for tweens - not young adults 58 16 days ago
I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now??? 370 16 days ago
Funny Books for both Kids and Adults - Please list here! 9 16 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  180
Total posts:  228
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions