Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Self-promotion is not allowed on this forum. Please stop.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 376 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 5:22:42 AM PST
G. says:
Self promotion is against the Amazon Terms of Service on any forum but the Meet Our Authors forum:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Please post your self-promotion there. This forum has become spammed to death. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:06:25 AM PST
Ms. P. says:
Thank you, G.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:10:05 AM PST
This forum is long past saving. I don't come here expecting anything but self-promo. It is an excellent example of what happens when spam goes unchecked. Readers leave. Authors spam each other into oblivion.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:25:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 8:25:33 AM PST
I'm just a really terrific guy. I've often been compared to a 40 year-old scotch mixed with only a finger of the purest water ever to gush forth from a secluded mountain spring. My conquests in love are achieved with the brilliance of Alexander and the ferocity of the Great Khan. It is fortunate that I am also endowed with a humble spirit, such that the mere sight of my hands caked with rich, sweet earth have reduced the most stoic of Mennonites to unabashed tears of rapture.

How's that for self-promotion?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:17:19 AM PST
G. says:
;).
I came here this morning to post something about wanting good early chapter book suggestions for my 1st grader, and couldn't believe that the majority of posts were self-promo. Maybe I will post it anyhow?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:49:31 AM PST
Ms. P. says:
G.,

I don't know the reading level of your first grader, (if you have any kind of a "level" I can help more), but check out:

Cynthia Rylant's Henry and Mudge series.

Biscuit books by Alyssa Satin Capucilli

Young Cam Jansen books by David A. Adler (at least I think he did both the younger and the original ones).

I have more (lots more! I really wish this were a living forum). But those are good ones to start looking at.

Oh! And also check out a huge chunk of Arnold Lobel's books (Frog and Toad, Owl at Home)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:00:51 AM PST
G. says:
I am an awful Mommy because I am not sure what the formal reading level is, but she is in the group right before the highest for 1st grade. Thank you so much for the recs! I am so new at this (she is my oldest child) and she loves to read; I just want to present a good selection for her. By the way, she hates the Magic Treehouse series, which I thought she would really like. She does like the Junior clue crew nancy drew books.

Thanks again :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:06:47 AM PST
Are you married? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:10:42 AM PST
Ms. P. says:
No problem not knowing a level. One thing that's really important to keep in mind, that most parents don't know, is that when kids are reading books for fun, they should be able to read the book with 95% or GREATER accuracy. It seems counter-intuitive, because we think we want them doing lots of sounding out and learning new words while they read, but the truth is successful reading begets more successful reading.

Kids who read a lot of books that seem almost "too easy" grow in reading levels more quickly than kids who read books where they struggle more. This doesn't apply when an adult is sitting right with them, helping them use strategies, and reading it "together" and it definitely doesn't apply to books you read aloud TO her.

And be careful to not teach her that chapter books are somehow "better" or for "better readers" -- there are AMAZING picture books out there that are much more challenging than chapter books, and kids at this age still really NEED pictures to help build comprehension and enjoyment of reading. :)

Junie B. Jones books are harder but also lots of fun, and so are the Bailey School Kids books (you can search either of those series on Amazon. I know the authors' names, just can't bring them to the front of my mind at the moment!) :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:19:46 AM PST
Do you use the library? A good children's librarian can help you. I'd also suggest you and she roam the shelves picking books that look interesting to her.

Some series that my students (first graders) have liked are:

Angelina and the Princess (Angelina Ballerina)
Curious George and the Birthday Surprise
Mouse Cookies & More: A Treasury (If You Give...)

This site also may help:

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Books-my-6-Year-Old-Daughter/lm/R1NGD9IIJ1OFHC

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 12:01:04 PM PST
I totally agree with all of your suggestions, especially Henry & Mudge. Both of my kids really loved those books.

Curious George is good as well, and there are a lot of them, both the traditional Curious George and a number of newly published books that are based on the character of "Monkey George" as one of my favorite toddlers likes to call him.

I am also a huge fan of the Frog & Toad series (in fact, one of my earliest reviews was of one of the Frog & Toad books, back in 2003 when my son was but a wee toddler). I also like his Owl at Home.

The Little Bear books (can't remember the author's name) are also very sweet.

For picture books, I am a huge fan of the K. Craft's illustrations, which are absolutely gorgeous. She did a number of fairy tale books, like this one: The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Mulberry books). These are a little more expensive, but are so beautiful that they are worth it.

Do you like to read aloud to your daughter, because if you do, I can give you a number of suggestions along that line as well.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 12:45:10 PM PST
G. says:
Thanks for the great information everyone! I think I have been pushing her to read the harder chapter books, not realizing that she would get more out of the ones the finds easy; it does make sense though.

I do love to read to her because my other two can sit with us and enjoy the "girl time".

You gals have a wonderful wealth of knowledge about kids books. Much appreciated ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:06:51 PM PST
Ms. P. says:
Most parents do push kiddos to read harder stuff ... we just want them to learn! :) It helps to think about it in terms of imagining yourself reading. If you could read a book with only 95% accuracy (95 out of 100 words you could read automatically, and visualize the meaning without stopping to think or look it up) ... in a typical, adult novel, you would have to stop more than 10 times on EVERY PAGE to figure out a word (either how to say it, or what it means). Think about what that would do to the flow of the story in your brain, and then think about how much you would enjoy the process.

Kids are people, too. And even though they're in "learning" mode, they are wired to enjoy stories in exactly the same way we are. The easier and more enjoyable reading is, the more they'll want to do it, the more they do it, the better they'll become -- even if we don't intentionally keep upping the levels.

Everyone's opinions are different and important, but I will say that I taught elementary school for eleven years, and I have a Master's degree in Education, and I truly, from the bottom of my heart BELIEVE that when children read alone it should ALWAYS be as close to 100% fun and enjoyable as possible, and that any "pushing," "trying more difficult books," and "growing" should be done in the context of an adult sitting right there with them, supporting it and making it fun and special in that way.

To this day I trade book suggestions back and forth with former students, at least one of whom came into my classroom not terribly great at or interested in reading -- and by December of fourth grade, and through now -- she's a sophomore in college, she reads more books in any given year than I do. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:12:10 PM PST
Excellent points, Teacher Mommy. As a teacher, I agree.

I wish we could also stop doing so much in the classroom to make reading not fun instead of the other way around. We're in such a hurry for our children to "learn" that we stripping them of the enjoyment of childhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:18:31 PM PST
Ms. P. says:
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about Anna. I actually left teaching in May for a lot of those reasons -- and for the fact that my own daughter will be kindergarten age this coming fall, and I want her to learn in a way that public school teachers simply are not allowed to teach anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:24:07 PM PST
I always have thought that if I ever had children I would home school them. I hope you enjoy it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:38:07 PM PST
Ms. P. says:
Thanks. :) So far, I'm happier than I have been in years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 2:13:11 PM PST
G. says:
My daughter came home on Friday (library day) with "Harry Potter". She loves to read, but when I saw that huge book, I just had to sigh. Right now she really likes the disney princess chapter books and thinks these are really easy. Darn it, instead of encouraging this (the books are pure carp), I tried to get her to read different books that were a bit harder. I will take your good advice and let her enjoy these books. Your example of having to go back numerous times to try and understand a page in book really hit home. I think I will continue with the harder books for her nightly reading, when I am sitting next to her encouraging the new words that come up in those books. Why can't there be a manual that everyone gets when their children are born ;)!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 3:03:32 PM PST
Ms. P. says:
Those books are carp -- I've seen them and they make me sigh. But then, a not-so-small percentage of mind candy that I like to read sometimes could easily be called carp, too. And while I'm reading the carp, all of the essential processes involved in reading are going on in my brain AND stimulating positive emotions, vs. negative ones.

All people enjoy carp reading from time to time, and kids are people. :)

And the vast majority of first and second graders drag home Harry Potter from the library at least once. Especially the ones in the higher reading groups who have already decided that smarter kids read big, long chapter books. The lesson to try to teach (and you'd have better luck teaching a fish to fly!) is that smart people read books they enjoy, and that it's okay to be six and enjoy the things that you're only going to enjoy when you're six.

If she's insistent on Harry Potter (or similar), and you don't feel the story itself is inappropriate for your family, go ahead and read it to her, or see if the library has it on tape. Then work with her to find a few series that are "too easy" for her that she really actually enjoys, and keep those for her independent time. And if it's Disney Princesses, then so be it. Someday it'll be something like Twilight, and that won't damage her for life, either. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 4:06:28 PM PST
G. says:
I can't wait until she reaches the "Twilight" phase so that I can read some of those YA books with her (probably on the sly). Glad to hear that my child isn't the only 1st grader to drag that tome home. I actually enjoyed the Harry Potter series, and reading it to her is probably a good idea. You must have been a wonderful teacher; very good, patient outlook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 4:40:56 PM PST
Ms. P. says:
Thank you, G. it's very nice of you to say. I always, always loved the kids and the families, and the actual teaching part of the job has nothing to do with why I left. Actually, I now privately homeschool preschool for my own daughter and a few other children, and I LOVE it, and the kids are happy and learning, and they get to work on the skills that are right for them right where they are.

For fun chapter books to read aloud to your daughter, there's no reason to wait until she's a teenager for fun ones. I have a list a mile long I'm already starting on with mine. There are truly some AMAZING children's books out there that are just as enjoyable for adults.

Think:

Charlotte's Web
The Chronicles of Narnia
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
ANY book by Kate DiCamillo (seriously, get them all right.now start with Because of Winn-Dixie).

Sorry, not trying to be long-winded. It's that for eleven years I got to do this all day every day, and I've been deprived, lol.

And there are also a million great children's books that are picture books. Patricia Polacco is among my all-time favorite writers -- half her books make me cry, and they're all children's picture books. :)

I'm starting to think that the best way for those of us who want to to have real conversations on these forums, all we have to do is post them under a "don't spam here" thread. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 4:45:20 PM PST
G. says:
Ha ha. You are so right Teacher M. What a great conversation. Probably the most productive one on this forum in a very long time.

Maybe this could be the serious poster code phrase: "Self-promotion is not allowed: anyhow, read any good bodice rippers lately?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 5:01:06 PM PST
Ms. P. says:
LOL. I love it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 7:03:36 PM PST
Don't read them on the sly! Loud and Proud YA reader here & I'm 45 years old.

For two reasons: one, I always wanted to know what my daughter was reading & why she liked it. More importantly, though, is reason number 2. YA is great. There are some incredible, fabulously written, imaginative and amazing, YA books out there!

I'm reading the entire HP series to my son, referred to on the boards with the nickname Guitar Hero. He is 11 years old & we are having a blast. We started Sorceror's Stone @ the beginning of November. We are just past the halfway point of Prisoner of Azkaban. I've read them all before (about seven times, actually), but it's been great fun introducing him to the stories. He has, of course, seen all of the movies, but he is still loving the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 9:26:16 PM PST
Have you seen the Reading Rainbow episode on Rechenka's Eggs? It is amazing. Patricia Polacco reads the story and shows how to make the Russian eggs. It's beautiful. I show it to my students every year and I'm probably more interested in it than they are!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  376
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions