Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Humorous books for boys

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2009 3:15:05 PM PDT
Gayle says:
My fourth grade son LOVED the RAYMOND AND GRAHAM books. They kept him laughing and subsequently kept him reading. Any suggestions for other humorous books?

Posted on Apr 26, 2009 5:44:03 PM PDT
The adventures of Captain Underpants : an epic novel by Pilkey, Dav

Fries alive! by Baldacci, David., Baldacci, Rudy

Golden & Grey (an unremarkable boy and a rather remarkable ghost) by Arnold, Louise

How to eat fried worms. by Rockwell, Thomas, McCully, Emily Arnold

I hope this helps you out!
Shay F.

Posted on Apr 26, 2009 6:02:36 PM PDT
Tim says:
This would also be a great book for boys. Randy Kazandy, Where Are Your Glasses? is a wonderful book that is outstanding with beautiful illustrations by Kim Sponaungle.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 3:54:03 PM PDT
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2009 8:31:39 AM PDT
Dan DuBois says:
The Speed Trail is a story about little woodland and wetland animals that enjoy working on race cars. It's new and self-published, but a third grad class really enjoyed the story and the illustrations. It might be worth looking into.

The Speed Trail: A Feathers, Fur And Frog's Hair Adventure

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 8:54:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2009 8:55:29 AM PDT
John Brandon says:
For young children; this is a humorous book about a boy and his father on a fishing trip, the day goes horribly wrong but the boys still exclaims "My Best Day Ever" as the title suggests. This story has a GREAT moral message for young and old. The illustrations are wonderfully done to compliment the story....

My Best Day Ever

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 9:52:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2009 9:53:02 AM PDT
I just published my first Kindle Digital Book. It's a short story for children ages (9-12). I plan on making it a weekly short story. If your kids read it a like it, please write a review. If the feedback is good, I'll quit my day job and write short stories full time. My 2 boys thinks it is really funny! Just search Amazon for "ek4u".
If you're a writer(professional or amateur), I'm looking for writers to author other weekly short story series. You can contact me and get more information through my website www.ek4u.net

thanks,
Daniel

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2009 10:14:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2009 10:15:58 AM PDT
At that age my son loved the books by Bruce Coville, also the Ralph Mouse books by Beverly Cleary. I second the Terry Pratchett book. Terry Pratchett also has a trio of books about a boy named Johnny Maxwell. The first is called Only You Can Save Mankind. They are finally available on Amazon in new editions. They are not laugh out loud funny (though the first is funny) but they are great books.

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 6:08:43 PM PDT
teachermum says:
Andy Griffiths Just books, eg, Just Annoying, Just Shocking etc are great for kids this age. Even parents will find them amusing.

Posted on Jun 10, 2009 2:19:15 PM PDT
Check out D&S Children's Books at www.DnSchildrensbooks.com, they have 3 new releases out, "The Dentist", Dee Dee's First Shot" and "Ollie's Promise". They are all very cute!

"Ollie's promise" is especially good for boys, it's about 2 funny dinosaur brothers!

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 2:13:27 PM PDT
My new book, MISCHIEF MAKER'S MANUAL, is the ultimate book of pranks and practical jokes for kids ages 8-13. It starts out simply, with pranks like "Saran Wrap on the Toilet Seat," and progresses through higher levels of mischief, like "How to Fake an Alien Landing."

The book teaches ethical pranking, showing kids how to be funny, be creative, and have fun. At its heart, it's a book about creativity, fun, and friendship.

The book is receiving great reviews -- Publisher's Weekly called it "clever, creative and funny" and advance readers on GoodReads.com called it "awesome" and "wickedly funny."

Please buy it here on Amazon!

http://tinyurl.com/dljoe3

I also wanted to give a shout out to CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS, and pretty much anything by Dav Pilkey. My 7 year-old has also enjoyed anything by Judy Blume (especially the Fudge series) and anything by Meagan McDonald (especially the Stink series).

And let's not forget the great "Calvin and Hobbes." We have the Ultimate Collection, with every strip Bill Watterson ever created, and we've read it cover to cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 8:53:11 PM PDT
hannah s. says:
of course the percy jackson and the olympians series! everyone loves those!

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 6:21:29 PM PDT
How about the Judy Blume books? I am 9 and I love them!!!!! P.S. Do not let him read
Twilight!!! Please reply.

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 8:13:48 AM PDT
Kathy says:
Try the Soup series by Robert Newton Peck and Hank the Cowdog series by John Erickson. He might like to read books by Tony Abbott; they're below 4th grade level but lots of fun. Also, the Dunc and Amos books by Gary Paulsen may fit the bill.

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 6:15:47 PM PDT
Shelly says:
Captain Underpants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 7:12:13 AM PDT
R. Collins says:
Try the Arby Jenkins series by Sharon Hambrick. Arby is a 6th grader who has multiple scrapes. Very humorous with good character built in to the stories.

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 11:15:58 AM PDT
Dr. Nick says:
Depending on his age, here are some my sons ages 7-13 enjoy...The Super Fudge books by Judy Blume (about a 4th-6th grade level). Jake the Snake and the Stupid Time-Out Chair by Shelly Faith Nicholson (about a 1st-3rd grade level)...The Anthony Horowitz Alex Rider series (about a 5th-7th grade level). Super Fudge and Jake the Snake kept my younger sons interested because they are really funny stories. Alex Rider is action packed and fully of adventure. Hope this helps!!!

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 12:40:43 PM PDT
Kirk Werner says:
I'll shamelessly plug my own series of books featuring the adventures of Olive, the Woolly Bugger. While not outright humorous, per se, there are many instances that'll put a smile on a child's face. My books are picture books in the sense that they're fully illustrated, but they break from the traditional picture book format by being full narratives with a plot, character development, lessons learned, etc. They appeal to all ages, but have a read-alone level of 6-8, depending on the child's individual reading development. They're fly fishing stories told from the perspective of the flies themselves. If you're not an avid angler, or you've never wet a line before, don't worry- my books have something for everyone. There are 3 books in the series to date with plans for at least 2 more once the publisher gives the OK. Olive the Little Woolly Bugger, Olive and The Big Stream, and Olive Goes for a Wild Ride are available on Amazon and many other places. For detailed into about the books please check out my website:

http://olivethewoollybugger.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 12:55:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2009 1:01:37 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
I recommend The Giggler Treatment by Roddy Doyle. And I also add my vote to the Terry Pratchett books.
You might also try Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson.
Also, I read The Day My Butt Went Psycho by Andy Griffiths out loud to my niece and nephew. They loved it!

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 4:29:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2009 4:30:28 PM PDT
The Ellie McDoodle series is funny and it works great for boys or girls. It's a bit like Diary of a Wimpy Kid in that it's half-illustration and half-text and it's aimed at ages 7-12.
Unlike Wimpy Kid, it has a lot of family interaction, pranks, jokes, riddles, and games, along with, in the first book, a bit of survival manual. (Ellie's camping with relatives at a state park)

Author website at www.ruthexpress.com has lots of information on the books and also some download-able freebies for kids and teachers.

PS -- it's up for some awards, too -- Beverly Cleary Children's Choice Awards for 2010, for one. It's on many library summer reading lists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 4:26:23 PM PDT
Hi Gayle,

I am a new poet/author with my first illustrated, childrens poetry book, "Imagination Celebration" it can be found here at Amazon, but for a totally FREE preview of the poems and illustrations you can visit my website www.tommygpoetry.com
I also have direct links there for purchasing at my print service or here at amazon. It truly is a fun, whimsical poetry book that children and adults alike will enjoy. It has some real funny, LOL poems.

Thanks,
Tommy Garrison

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2009 11:31:40 PM PDT
I know, I know, the book is about a girl. It could have just as easily been about a boy. Fact is, when I was writing it, the character originally was a boy, but I changed it mostly to give my daughters something to relate to. There is a lot of slapstick humor, machinery and silly jokes, so I think it fits right in with something boys would enjoy too.

Millicent Marbleroller and the House of the Toymaker: A Girl's Magic Music Adventure Mystery Puzzle in a Haunted Mansion with Marbles, Toys, a Pipe Organ and a Glass Eyeball

Millicent Marbleroller dreams that one day she will play a pipe organ like the one at church. She teaches herself to play music with a piano she draws on the kitchen table at home. This summer, she finds herself working in the giant mansion of the deceased toymaker General Horatio Crackerhead. Soon, she is locked in a contest with the General's brother, Admiral Algernon Crackerhead to be the first to find the General's last great invention, the Crackerhead Yo-yo. But all that Millicent really cares about is the big, beatiful pipe organ that sits in the heart of the mansion, just begging Millicent to unlock its secrets, unravel the mysteries of a mansion that is more puzzle than house and somehow figure out how it all ties together with the song that keeps racing through Millicent's mind. Millicent Marbleroller and the House of the Toymaker is a work of magical, music fiction that is unlike any childrens book before it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2009 1:12:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2009 8:09:04 PM PDT
I'm recommending a book that my husband wrote with his sister. The name of the book is CAMP CREEPY TIMECamp Creepy Time. It's received positive reviews and kids really relate to the story and the characters. Great summer read.

The book was optioned by DreamWorks to be made into a feature film and a sequel is currently in the works. Camp Creepy Time

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009 4:47:04 PM PDT
J. White says:
Given the date of your original post, it sounds like your son is in the 5th grade now. Perhaps he might enjoy a funny book that was illustrated by a 5th grade boy? Coolhead Luke and Other Stories is a humorous poetry book that was written by me and illustrated by my son when he was 10 years old. Check out our website and see if your son finds the poems and drawings funny! It's at www.coolheadluke.com

We published a second one this year called, On the Edge with Coolhead Luke. They are both available on amazon, at Coolhead Luke: and Other Stories and On the Edge With Coolhead Luke

I hope your son keeps on reading and laughing -- two great habits for life!

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 12:20:21 AM PDT
J. A. Black says:
Hi Gayle,
I suggest "Geronimo Stilton" by Geronimo Stilton offered by Audible.com. In each one hour story, Geronimo faces a new dilemma with the help or hindrance of his family. Interesting dialogue, strong characters, and forward moving action come to life in the expression of the narrator and the supporting sound effects. Puns and clever comparisons provide comical detail that kids enjoy discovering as they listen or read. The Geronimo Stilton books are also popular in paperbacks.

The Geronimo Stilton books have been published in many languages and have been enjoyed by children everywhere. Check out the parent reviews and listen to an audio sample of any one of the Geronimo Stilton books in Audible Kids at Audible.com.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Exciting New Children's Books 1 19 hours ago
Children's Books:Children's Books:Children's Books 79 19 hours ago
Recently Published Children's Books 1712 20 hours ago
1960's Children's Book 30 1 day ago
Child in Wheelchair? 2 2 days ago
Please help with a title: boy and girl stranded on sinking island 24 6 days ago
Searching for Children's Illustrated book on farm animals through the seasons 2 6 days ago
Trying to remember a 1960's children's book about a dragon. 18 13 days ago
Daily Book Talk: Books for tweens - not young adults 58 14 days ago
I finished the Harry Potter Series with my 9yr-old - what do we read now??? 370 14 days ago
Funny Books for both Kids and Adults - Please list here! 9 14 days ago
Books for Tween (5 and 6th grade) Girls 129 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Apr 26, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions