Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Does anybody know a good picture book about using kind words for year 1 or 2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 2:31:38 AM PDT
Donna S says:
I would like a book with plenty of pictures for our visual learners and learners with ESL. However I want a story that make the students think about why it is important to use kind words. At school some students are having difficulty using kind words. I want a book that will lead to a discussion.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:20:08 AM PDT
DD67 says:
words are not for hurting by verdick

Howard B. Wigglebottom Blends in Like Chameleons: A Fable About Belonging

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 8:51:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2011 8:52:04 PM PDT
Snotty Crocky

Its about monkeys who taunt a crocodile

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 6:16:24 AM PDT
ST(LaN) says:
Thank-you DD67, I found Words are not for Hurting at my uni library (in Aus), but I can't track down the Chameleon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 6:18:31 AM PDT
ST(LaN) says:
Spaceman, Snotty Crocky sounds like something todays kids would really get into, but I need something for next week and delivery to Aus is 2weeks. But thanks anyway.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:40:57 AM PDT
DD67 says:
Would your library have the pinkalicious series by Kann, I know it is girly, but I have the Purplicious book(2nd in the series) and it is about a girl who is always being picked on in school because she only likes pink. the other girls only like black and are too cool to wear pink. They are very mean to her and tease her. It is very girly if you have a mixed group of kids, but it is a pretty good picture book and will be right to the point. How to deal with teasing? Was it nice of the other kids to talk to her like that?

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:45:22 PM PDT
stigabre says:
Check out this book: "Just say please" by Gina and Mercer Mayer

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 9:35:02 PM PDT
Donna S says:
DD67, When I searched for the pinkalicious title, I was directed to titles about gay and lesbian issues!!

V.P I found 'Just say Please. Thanks

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 4:26:08 AM PDT
Music Mom says:
Ballpark Dog is an excellent book to read to your Children. I could identify with the dog in the story. I couldn't wait to turn the page to see what was going to happen next to the dog. My Children love this book and have me read it to them often. I even bought a few to give away as gifts!

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 4:44:26 PM PDT
Shelly says:
I think that the book titled The Lion and the Mouse that won a Caldecott award a year or so ago does a fantastic job of teaching about kindness that a book with words would not. This fully illustrated book teaches the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... Good luck! Caldecott award winning books are always a great mentor text!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 11:22:38 PM PDT
Donna S says:
Shelly , I did a search of Amazon and found quite a few books with that or very similar titles. Could you tell me the author? or have a look at the search list and see if you recognise it? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 11:28:59 PM PDT
Donna S says:
Music Mum, I can't find Ballpark Dog in the uni library, and delivery is 3 weeks to Aus. Is it the one about the dog that buries everything?

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 6:17:43 AM PDT
DD67 says:
Okay, that is weird, Did you use the authors name? Elizabeth Kahn

Purplicious (Pinkalicious) Here is an amazon link to it. It may not be what you are looking for anyway, since it would be more interesting for girls than boys.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 6:26:45 AM PDT
ST(LaN) says:
DD67, sorry, I meant when I searched the uni library catalog for pinkalicious, I was mis-directed. I don't have time to order and buy these books as I'm prac teaching NOW and I can only use whatever I can find at hand. But thanks for your suggestions, sometimes you want to target the girls or the boys, so having titles in your list that do that is appropriate.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:05:33 AM PDT
Caroline says:
Check out Bertie and Friends Collection by Caroline Mabey.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:13:55 PM PDT
Shelly says:
The Caldecott Award winning picture book w lion on cover by Jerry Pinkney is one of my favorites.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:17:59 PM PDT
Shelly says:
The Caldecott Award winning picture book w lion on cover by Jerry Pinkney is one of my favorites.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 4:38:36 AM PDT
Donna S says:
My daughter (original poster above) is a third year Primary teacher pregrad on prac. She had a great response from her class of Year 2 students to her couple of philosophy lessons based on the book 'Words are Not for Hurting'. She was able to present the book on the interactive white board with her 'Kindle for PC' app and each student now has an improved 'kind words' vocab which they take great pride in being able to use. Most students come from disadvantaged backgrounds and the explicit teaching of social 'nicities' never goes to waste, even on the best of us. She thanks you all for your interest and willingness to help, but she is currently taking photos of all her pairs of shoes for a powerpoint. Tomorrow she introduces the multiplication concept after looking at doubles... she's up to pair 31!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Books forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Books for kids that want to become doctors? 9 10 days ago
Need help figuring out title 1 10 days ago
Recently Published Children's Books 1737 10 days ago
As parents, do you interested in book that helps young readers open up their imagination? 0 11 days ago
As parents, do you interested in book that helps young readers open their imagination? 0 11 days ago
New Children Book - I Am Mai 0 17 days ago
Trying to remember title of a children's book - can only remember main character is a very blue, very bony guy 1 Apr 28, 2015
A Spider's HeaART - A Story About A Vegetarian Spider Artist 0 Apr 28, 2015
Even Superheroes Have to Sleep - A Children's Book 0 Apr 26, 2015
Children's book about a sheep that bakes cakes and puts pink icing on them. 0 Apr 10, 2015
Weekly Readers Childrens Book Club Selections 1950's/1960's 4 Apr 5, 2015
Children's Books: Self Esteem, Beauty, Being Different, etc 66 Mar 29, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions