Customer Discussions > Children's Books forum

Looking for a good Mystery Book on Histrory for 10 yr old boy? !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2010 12:18:45 PM PDT
Family of 4 says:
Hey there-
I need help! We are stumped. My son is 10 loves to read History, but needs a mystery for school. Any suggestions for a Mystery/History book for him for school? Thanks!

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 1:56:16 PM PDT
K. McNamara says:
The Hooblers' The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn - a boy who wants to be a samurai helps solve a mystery. No actual ghost.
This is a good series, if your son likes the first one.
Winterfeld's Detectives in Togas. - set in Rome
Blackwood's The Shakespeare Stealer - maybe this doesn't count as a mystery, but its a good historical fiction read.

I think Ellis Peters The Cadfael mysteries are clean enough to be read by a 10 year old.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 4:51:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2010 4:55:24 PM PDT
"House of Dies Drear" by Virginia Hamilton is about a house that was a stop on the underground railroad. "Spy for the Confederacy" by Jeanette Covert Nolan is a juvenile biography of Rose O"Neal Greenhow who lived in Washington, DC. "Eagle of the Ninth" by Rosemary Sutcliff is about a Centurion who set out to solve the mystery of the disappearance of the Ninth Legion that was stationed in northern Britain. You will find all of these well written and exciting to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 6:36:19 PM PDT
Alice reads says:
Tom Lalicki's HOUDINI & NATE series is set in NYC in the early 1900s are adventurous mystery solved by Nate, a promising twelve-year-old detective, and his mentor Houdini. Lalicki is the author of a highly praised biography of Houdini, SPELLBINDER, and brings a great feel for the history of the period to the stories while keeping them lively. So far the series includes DANGER IN THE DARK, SHOTS AT SEA (involving Theodore Roosevelt) and FRAME-UP ON THE BOWERY.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 6:06:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:32:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 6:32:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 6:33:37 PM PDT
I'd suggest Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett. History, art, and mystery altogether, perfect for middle grade readers.

(eta the correct first book)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Books forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions