Customer Discussions > Children's Movie forum

Kids educational videos.... Help please!

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 17, 2008 5:13:57 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2007 6:03:40 AM PST
Hi! I was wondering if there was anyone who could recommend good educational (history, science, geography etc) dvd's for kids from the age of 7 yrs to around 12yrs. I have got the magic school bus series (science) and am getting the Carmen Sandiego series (geography) and was wondering if there were any similar fun and engaging series out there.

Doing a search in Amazon for Educational DVD's tends to bring up all the 'baby' stuff.

So if you can help, please let me know!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 9:37:58 PM PST
WisdomWoman says:
The Liberty Kids series (I believe by PBS) is great for Early American History.

"Follow the Drinking Gourd" was a great short (about 30 minute) story about the Underground Railroad --- narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Bill Nye the Science Guy has dozens of science based DVDs. He's wild, wacky, informative and entertaining.

Disney even has some obscure videos about science and history.

Look into Nova, Discovery Channel, and PBS DVDs.

Check out some of the home school based websites....LovetoLearn dot net (I think) and Timberdoodle have great learning yet fun videos and books. Timberdoodle also has great board games.

That's just a few from the top of my head ...... we get most of our videos (DVDs) from the public library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 12:09:20 AM PST
Thank you, this is just what I am looking for. I am especially interested in those programs that people have used themselves and found them very helpful. Incidently I am a homeschooling Mum but I live in a country where our library is EXTREMELY limited and has no dvd's available. Anything I want I need to send away for so that is why I find actual recomendations made by people who have actually seen/used them so helpful.

Once again, thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 11:02:23 AM PST
I agree about the Bill Nye series. Also, National Geographic has a series of DVDs called Really Wild Animals that's great for kids. If you want to reminisce, the Schoolhouse Rock DVDs are awesome. I find my 8 year old singing the songs all the time. Also, there's the Frank Capra directed Bell Telephone sponsored series of shorts from the 60s and 70s that are now available on DVD, including Our Mr. Sun and Hemo The Magnificent. Finally, there's TripFLIX, a DVD that takes kids on adventures around the country to places like Sea World, Space Camp, a teddy bear factory and a bunch of other places. Its nice because its not just science, not just geography, but a taste of a lot of different things. The kid hosts are pretty funny and there's a lot of interactivity on the DVD itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 2:17:03 PM PST
Thank you Ilana for your suggestions. I have had a look at them all and I think I will go for TripFLIX for the moment, although I think I will put the others on my wish list!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 2:38:07 PM PST
Donnetta says:
I have to say that I love the leap frog dvd's My kids learned a lot from them but now that my oldest is at the age of 6 and he can read wonderfully i am looking for more to help him with math. Any suggestions??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 6:57:57 AM PST
I had no idea that Leap Frog even did dvd's! They look a little young for my kids as I need dvd's from 7 upward.

Anyway, to answer your maths questions. I have two books that I have found very helpful. The first is a booklet by Ruth Beechick called "An Easy Start in Arithmetic" which is full of ideas of how to introduce children to maths in non classroom/workbook ways. It builds on ideas from Kindergarden to Grade 3. Incidently it is part of a series of three booklets, the other two being "A Strong Start in Language" and "A Home Start in Reading" although I believe you can buy them seperately.

Another book I have found helpful, one I have bought recently is "Games for Math" by Peggy Kaye. It has good reviews on Amazon so I bought it and have found it to be very helpful. It is full of different games you can play that reinforce various math concepts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 9:52:47 AM PST
Stan Lee says:
If you are looking for educational videos that pertain to character building, "Harry's First Martial Arts Lesson" is great for kids 3-6. You can buy it on amazon or from the blackbeltprinciples website directly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 2:56:31 PM PST
I just found out about this video called Andy's Airplanes, so I ordered it for my kids because I was tired of watching dora over and over again. I sat down with my kids and watched the video and it was actually really educational and the kids loved it. They watch it two to three times a day and talk about wanting to be pilots when they grow up. It just opened up a new world for them. What is so nice about the video is that it is taught in a way that is fun without knowing that they are learning.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2007 3:59:25 PM PST
Let me introduce you to Andy's Airplanes. This is an educational 3-D animated series that is devoted to teaching kids geography, history, and culture of our world.
Andy is a young boy who flies in a new airplane to a new destination each episode. In the first episode he flies an F-18 Hornet to a Navy ship. Here he meets Angel, the commanders daughter, and learns a lesson about being a good winner and loser.
If you are interested, you can visit either www.andysairplanes.com or http://www.myspace.com/292864463

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 12:26:20 PM PST
Try Cowboy Bodi And The Flyin' Machines. It is the first in a new children's DVD series. Very fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2008 1:12:27 PM PST
DaveK says:
The "Walking With" series (Dinosaurs, Prehistoric Beasts, Cavemen, Monsters) are all outstanding. The BBC also puts out some great series about nature. Blue Planet is a great one about the oceans. Then there are the "The Life of Mammals", "The Life of Birds" and "Life in the Undergrowth". Your older kids may enjoy "Hyperspace". Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 8:30:47 AM PST
Check out the Popular Mechanics for Kids series.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 5:53:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2008 6:01:05 AM PST
I understand your frustration at finding good, educational DVDs for children. I went through the same search a few years ago and came up with too many commercial products (Barbie, Wiggles, etc.) So I decided to create my own with what I and other moms were looking for! I am a co-founder of a company, One Smart Cookie Productions. I am a graphic designer and my partner is an elementary school teacher. We create educational DVDs for children that conform to school curriculum standards. We focus heavily on the sciences since that is where most children are lacking. We created these DVDs to be multi-leveled to appeal to different aged children and to foster background knowledge in the topics.

You can find our DVDs here on Amazon, the first 2 focusing on the seasons. In production is one featuring the Rainforest.

Let's Explore . . . Autumn and Winter

Let's Explore . . . Spring and Summer

I hope this helps!
Keli DiRisio
One Smart Cookie Productions
www.onesmartcookieproductions.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 2:17:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2008 2:21:56 PM PST
Metalive says:
If you want a kids show that's educational as well as entertaining look no further than the Animaniacs. The show is filled with wonderful songs as well as off-the-wall humour and silliness. The show is over 15 years old and I still can sing the entire states and capitals, not to mention all the countries of the world and all of the U.S. presidents. Now that's something.

Check out some of the songs on youtube.com

Animaniacs - Nations Of The World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtdQ8bTvRc

Animaniacs - 50 State Capitols
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUDDaEOvuY

Animaniacs - Presidents
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvy0wRLD5s8

The show isn't all learning though
The show is likely to turn your kids into little smart mouths as shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBq_K1WLsE

Great show by any standard.
Later

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008 4:50:32 AM PST
Jivana says:
try the "Koolkidz" singing group! their website is: www.songsforkoolkidz.com ... they have educational music and videos about colors, etc., but just good messages for kids in general .... i use them in my class all the time! good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 7:41:10 PM PST
Fred Pardo says:
"Myths, Legends & Traditional Holidays from Latin America" is a great option for kids between 5 and 12 y. It's bilingual audio and subtitles (English/Spanish), and the kids can learn about their roots or different cultures, also their parents too, trough simple and didactic animation in 9 beautiful stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 3:38:15 AM PST
It's amazing what you can find out if you ask! Thank you so much for your replies. Keep them coming! I am sure I am not the only one who is looking for good educational videos for their kids!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 11:18:05 AM PST
Rock 'N Learn's award-winning DVD and Audio/Book programs have been helping children learn while keeping them entertained for more than twenty years. They are available on Amazon or you can check out audio and video samples before you buy by visiting www.rocknlearn.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2008 3:42:00 PM PST
K. Wasiak says:
The DK Eyewitness series of DVDs are great for grades 4 to 8. They are mostly science topics, but even the science ones always have historical science facts thrown in.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 7:53:59 AM PST
R. Faye Hill says:
Have you checked out "School House Rocks" yet?? They have about 12 DVD's and deal with subjects like "Conjunction Junction, Whats your Function". They teach grammar, math, and many more subjects. By using music and pictures, Your child will feel entertained, but you'll know they are learning! Best of two functions wouldn't you say?? Hope this Helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008 1:06:57 AM PDT
My favorites for that age group are:
Schoolhouse Rocks, Liberty's Kids, but we also use 123 penguins and Carmen Sandiego.
There's also a lot of great stuff at Edmond Scientific, and Scholastic Online
Good Luck

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2008 4:55:15 PM PDT
TW says:
There are many Bill Nye, the Science Guy films.
National Geographic has a bunch of good ones for all ages and topics. (website, too)
The Liberty Kids series has good shorter ones, but animated. (There is a website, too.)
Disney has some older films that are great--- the kids get a kick out of the "older" movies, too! (Johnny Tremain is an example.) The newer Ruby Bridges movie is excellent.
Feature Films for Families (can find a listing online) has quite a few for different topics.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 3:25:12 PM PDT
W. White says:
Yes, my kids love the Munchkin Math series. They are geared toward 2-9 year olds...but the shapes they teach are very complex (trapezoid, rhombus, heptagon)...the Telling Time and Counting Money DVDs are great, too.

Give them a shot- my kids beg for them! They are very interactive- they teach songs and raps that the kids learn to master the concepts. We love them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 1:55:38 PM PDT
My Godsister's twins just love that Aussie group "The Wiggles" :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Movie forum (33 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Movie forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions