Customer Discussions > Children's Movie forum

Good kid movies for toddlers.

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 17, 2008 5:14:53 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 199 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2007 7:27:21 PM PDT
D. Head says:
I am starting to let my daughter watch movies (no tv), and I am turned off by the messages that Disney is sending out. Can anyone suggest some clean, wholesome movies that would appeal to a toddler?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 12:12:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2007 9:40:36 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 6:48:43 PM PDT
UND Grad. says:
Try any of the Veggie-Tales series. They are wholesome and christian and my older daughter loved them as a toddler. My toddler now loves the Backyardigans. Fun songs and lots of imagination. A couple older Nick Jr. programs that my other child grew up on were "Little Bear", "Franklin" and of course "Blue's Clue's". I hope this helps! All of the above can be found on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 7:07:10 PM PDT
UND Grad. says:
Try any of the Veggie-Tales series. They are wholesome and christian and my older daughter loved them as a toddler. My toddler now loves the Backyardigans. Fun songs and lots of imagination. A couple older Nick Jr. programs that my other child grew up on were "Little Bear", "Franklin" and of course "Blue's Clue's". I hope this helps! All of the above can be found on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 12:14:50 AM PDT
Twin Mom says:
Try "Kipper". The animated series includes a two dogs and two pigs. The DVDs each contain a number of cute, short stories, where they have to solve a little problem (e.g., learning to ride a bike, finding a lost item). The characters have a bit of a British accent, but the stories are wholesome and interesting for little kis.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 11:18:10 PM PDT
Check out "Cuckoo Concertos, Vol. 1." Kids singing for kids. Real kids, pure voices. Fun animations. Animal movie minutes. Patriotic songs. A real mixture of entertaining, wholesome song, music and fun, packed into 32 minutes. Guaranteed Family Friendly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2007 7:53:15 AM PDT
You should check out DVDs by Rock 'N Learn. I bought several pre-school ones for my neice who is not even 2 years old yet and she is counting, knows colors, is learning the alphabet and knows lots of different animal sounds. If they're going to watch TV, why not educate them at the same time?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2007 4:02:05 PM PST
Anything seen on Sprout or Noggin is good. (Dora, Diego, Blue's Clues, Backyardigans, Jack's Big Music Show.)

Another choice not mentioned yet is Pocoyo and Friends. Narrated by british actor Stephen Fry. My kids liked it. When your kid get to be a little older (5-7) and get interested in science, I recommend Beakman's World and Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 4:52:47 AM PST
D. Loomis says:
If you like literature classics such as Moby Dick, you should take a look at Monkey Presents. http://www.amazon.com/shops/monkeypresents or http://monkeypresents.com/aboutus.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 12:20:14 PM PST
B. Farmer says:
My 16 month old loves Backyardigans. It's the only show he will watch for more than 5 minutes.

My wife made the mistake of showing him the Backyardigans poster than came with the CD. Backyardigan's is refered to as baby crack in our house. Because if we actually say Backyardigan's, my son runs the living room, grabs the remote and brings it to you and insists that the show be put on. We only let him watch 1 show a day max.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 1:37:15 PM PST
Nungesser says:
I'm not sure what could be more clean & wholesome than classic Disney cartoons. "Dumbo", "Snow White", "Bambi", or any of the Mickey / Donald DVD collections would be perfect for a toddler. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you find offensive in Disney movies, so I'll know what to avoid recommending.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 2:03:22 PM PST
D. Head says:
I don't think that all of the Disney movies are bad, but I do think that the majority of the movies have a message that I do not want my daughter to learn. The Little Mermaid displays the message of a little girl disobeying her father, and in the end getting what she wants because her father feels sorry for her after she disobeyed him. In the Great Mouse Detective, there is a cabaret scene and the female mouse sings that she will do anything for the male onlookers like "taking off all my blues", and she is wearing a blue dress. In 101 Dalmatians, the word idiot is used more than a dozen times! In Aladdin, he lies to get closer to the princess and pretends to be someone that he is not. And again in the end, by lying and deceiving, Aladdin gets what he wants.

As adults we may be able to decipher what is right and wrong but how can we let our little children watch some movies when we are teaching them to not lie, steal, talk ugly or disobey us, as parents. I have not watched Dumbo, Snow White or Bambi in a long time, but I will look into them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 2:13:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2007 2:15:59 PM PST
Nungesser says:
That's a smart approach. A lot of parents think "Disney" means "automatically appropriate for all ages", but you're right - a lot of their movies are better for older kids than toddlers.

She'd definitely enjoy "Winnie the Pooh", "Brother Bear", "Pooh's Heffalump Movie", "Cinderella", and "Sleeping Beauty". Bambi has the infamous scene of his mother being killed (off-screen) which she might find scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2007 4:12:47 PM PST
D Head,
I have a toddler also (turned two last week), but she has a 3 yr old sister and a 5 yr old brother who influence her tastes, somewhat. She falls apart, however, if she does not see the veggie tales logo when the movie comes on. Being two, she is a bit insistant. We watch veggie tales if we don't want to have a crisis. They all like them, though. They all also like Nemo. We do not watch TV either, so their grandmothers give them movies for Christmas. We ban Disney as well, but a grandmother gave us Nemo, and the offensive parts are not caught by toddlers. There is one scene where the 'school fish' are daring each other to touch the "butt" (they mean boat), and another scene where Nemo tells his father "I hate you". This one is said quietly, and hard to catch, but the "butt" is a bit more overt. These, however I worry more about my 5 yr old catching. My toddler is oblivious. (Of course, she won't be forever) On the other hand, the story line is better than the little mermaid, or others. Nemo disobeys his father and is captured and put into a fish tank, and almost given to a little girl who is too rough with her fish. He reaps real consequences for his disobedience, as well as learns from what his father is trying to protect him. The movie also highlights the sacrifices of a father for his child. If you haven't seen it, (which i'm assuming in telling you all about it) you would enjoy it too. It's pretty funny, and my toddler loves it. "nemo" was one of her first words.
Baby Noah is also one of our favorites (a baby einstein video). Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2007 10:32:48 AM PST
My 2-year-old grandson was "introduced" to The Wizard of Oz last weekend. He actually sat through the entire movie, and is constantly asking to see Dorothy and Toto. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2007 10:17:07 AM PST
The Wheels on the Bus series with Roger Daltrey is very wholesome and has great music. My three children will not watch anything else!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2007 8:12:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2007 8:15:55 AM PST
D. Schwartz says:
The Car Video is really great! It educates and entertains at the same time and it's completely clean for the kids. It's a lot of live action video of different types of cars, parts of cars, etc. and teaches early education basics like colors, numbers and shapes. The music isn't annoying! It's cute. I don't mind the kids watching this one over and over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 8:00:44 PM PST
JWSNYC says:
Actually, there is a terrific Christian worship DVD for children (from as young as 6 months to 3 years) called Baby Miracle. I think they have 2 or 3 DVDs out; they all tell different bible story tales such as Jonah and the Whale or Noah's ark. They are also quite educational and teach children different educational concepts through the stories. Let me know how you like them....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2007 2:50:19 PM PST
wakemom says:
HBO has a series called Classical Baby...there is a set of 3 DVDs that my girls (3 and 18 mo.) adore! Each DVD focuses on a different art form (music, dance, and art), but all of them generally pair classical music with great art turned into cartoons that flow along with the music. There isn't a lot of dialogue, just a spoken title to each sketch. The show is "hosted" by a conducting baby, and it's very low-key and calming, but for some reason, it is able to hold the kids' interest better than some of the more "exciting" shows out there. If you want to get just one of the DVDs, my girls' favorite is the "Dance" show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 10:29:52 AM PST
Funnyguy says:
Hi,
I think you'll find that our DVD, "Magic Backyard" is the perfect solution for preschool children. It's mostly music and images and won a Telly Award and an Adding Wisdom Award from Parent to Parent so you can be sure it's safe to watch. Thanks.
Jeff (the Director)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 11:49:00 AM PST
So, why is it that I was able, as a young child, to watch these movies and still have respect for my parents and still knew that some words were not allowed and inappropriate?? Watching a movie does not automatically mean that your children will all start disobeying their parents, using foul language, lying, etc... It never happened to me, and it so far hasn't happened to my own nine year-old daughter. Besides, in Aladdin, what really happens is that when he realizes that he's been deceitful, and comes clean, only then do things work out for him. I think that's a pretty good message myself (not the deceit, but that by being honest, things worked out for Aladdin).

My daughter liked all the Sesame Street videos (as does her mother) and yes, she even watched Disney movies. Try those.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 1:09:53 PM PST
D. Henson says:
Children are all so different so it's always trial and error to see what they may like. My daughter is 2 1/2. The first movie that she loved was 'Finding Nemo'. The first educational dvd that she loved was Leap Frog's 'The Letter Factory'. 'Finding Nemo' has some parts that I thought she would be frightened but she never has been. She started watching 'The Letter Factory' before she knew her alphabet so she actually learned the sounds of the letters before the names of the letters which I think will help her with reading later on. My daughter has always liked both Fantasia movies also. That's a sanity saver for me to not have to hear "cartoons" but beautiful classical music and yet she is still entertained. I think it's great for her to hear that music also. It's sort of an upscale 'Baby Einstein' which is overrated in my opinion. If you're interested in sign language, 'Signing Time' is wonderful. It not only taught my daughter and me lots of sign language but it helped her with the names of animals, colors, the alphabet, fruits and vegetables.

More recently, she adores 'Flushed Away' so she asks for that over and over. We also watched 'Mary Poppins' the other day and she seemed to like it and I thought it was great.

Best wishes

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 1:53:01 PM PST
I starting thinking "Signing Time" myself about half-way through reading this thread! That was my daughter's addiction when she was a toddler. We now have an almost 5 and 2.5 year old, and the Backyardigans are huge in our house too. We also love the PBS Curious George DVDs. I liked the first season a lot better than the one airing now. We liked the Curious George motion picture too, and listen to the soundtrack a lot.

We're not religious so most Veggie Tales DVDs aren't up our alley, but we have their "Silly Songs with Larry", and it's wonderful. Fun songs, fun animation. Definitely silly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 5:23:15 AM PST
KLF says:
It might be an idea not to permit your child to read the Bible, where the stories often involve murder, adultery, lying and drunkenness. Comparatively, Disney has less to upset parents.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 12:49:49 PM PST
S. K. says:
HAHAHA I LOVE your answer!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Children's Movie forum (33 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Children's Movie forum
Participants:  142
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions