Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Childrens Music forum

Willy the Whale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 128 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2007 7:28:54 AM PDT
Iva Bolden says:
Some of the Lyrics are:
Willy the whale with a curly tale
for all the world to see

This was my eldest sons' favcorite song many years ago. He had it on a 45 !! I would love to find it so I could surprise him. Thanks for any help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2007 11:51:17 AM PDT
dani says:
Willie the Operatic Whale [VHS]

Could it be a song from "Willie the Operatic Whale?" A man named Nelson Eddy sings.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2007 12:05:58 PM PDT
Iva Bolden says:
I won't discount it, it has been a long time. However the "voice in my head" doesn't sound like Nelson Eddy. Course the only thing I remenber hearing him sing is Canadian Love Call with Jeanette Mcdonald.:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 11:11:57 AM PST
S. McMenamin says:
OMG, I was just asking my friends about this song and if they had heard it as a child. I too, am looking for the record/CD/whatever. The album I had as a child (early to mid 60's) also included a song called, "Crocky the Crocodile," in which the crocodile had a toothache and no one would help him because, "when somebody comes around, I'll open my mouth and GULP them down!" Please tell me whether you have been able to find this music or not. I sooooo want to obtain a copy for my young grandchildren.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 12:27:04 PM PST
Iva Bolden says:
No, I'm sorry to report I have not. The only thing I've been able to find is an early Disney film about an opera singing whale. Good luck with your search. Keep me posted. Perhaps you'll have better luck.;0

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 12:42:31 PM PST
S. McMenamin says:
I promise to keep you posted. I have posted on eBay and Craigslist as well hoping to find it. Does your son remember ANYTHING about it that might give us more info to work with or is this a surprise? There is a young girl on one of the blog sites that quotes the lyrics, but I do not want to delve into blogging to inquire about it with her. If I get desperate i may, though! Thank you for your reply. Happy hunting! Stay posted, okay?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 5:21:03 AM PST
Iva Bolden says:
I asked and he remebers the melody more than the lyrics. I started looking when he brought it up in a conversation about his childhood. That was his favorite record (45). He's 39 now. I can remeber it only because he drove me nuts playing it over and over. Ironic that now I'm trying to find it. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 2:34:12 PM PDT
I am looking for this same album! My brother and I remember snippets from several of the songs. Did you ever find out any more? Can you give more info on "the blog sites that quotes the lyrics" or the young girl you mention?

"There once was a whale with a curly tail..." ... "We'll fry him nice, not once but twice, and barbecue his tail."

"Now I am a bumblebee...", "Me indian arrow... cut other arrow in half!", "Now I am an aeroplane..."

Something about visiting planets and the man on Jupiter talking about "all you little people on that tiny planet Earth"

"Who, who's the monkey you or I..."

The song about the alligator that eats the monkey, "Won't someone come and let me out?!"

Something about riding "a BIG soap bubble!"

HELP!! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2008 6:07:29 PM PDT
"Wee Willie the Whale with his curly tale,
For all the world to see!
Every girl and boy jump with joy
As happy as they can be!"

When I first came upon this post, the title somehow looked familiar to me, but it has been a while since I last heard it. Going through my record collection tonight, I finally found the source: "Willie the Whale", featured on the album "Born Free and Animal Songs and Stories" (Happy Time, #HT-1043). For S. McMenamin, the musical story "The Crocodile Who Cried" is featured here also. The album was later re-issued on the label Mr. Pickwick (#SPC-5123) in 1974 and incidentally is on auction at eBay in case if anyone is interested in obtaining it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 4:07:18 AM PDT
S. McMenamin says:
OMG!!! The one on ebay is the EXACT one that I had as a young child! I appreciate your info, that is awesome! This is one thing that I truly would love to be able to share with my young grandchildren. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 8:18:36 AM PDT
Nice!! Unfortunately, I was not able to find this record at eBay. Could someone please post either the URL directly to the listing or a search string that will find it? -- I tried the obvious ones (eg: Born Free Animal Songs Stories, and Willie the Whale).

I would REALLY love to see the names of other songs on this record to confirm this is the one *I* remember; I'm optimistic! Does anyone else remember (or can directly confirm) the other songs/lyrics I provided in my earlier 4/14/08 posting?

Knowing the record label helps IMMENSELY. I googled for Happy Time and found at least a confirmation of the product number posted by B. Washington: http://www.bsnpubs.com/pickwick/happytime.html

I'm hoping if anyone on this thread actually acquires this album they will be willing to make copies for those of us yearning for this treasure from our youths! I'd be very interested in buying the record on eBay myself if someone can point me to the listing and gladly make copies for any interested parties.

I'm excited!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 8:37:21 AM PDT
Iva Bolden says:
I found it on ebay under Music, childrens, records on page 18. I tried to bid on it but was constantly outbid.
Good luck

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 9:46:44 AM PDT
S. McMenamin says:
I currently have high bid on it. If I do win the bid, I will see about getting you copies made if you'll pay your own shipping costs. I plan to have it copied to CD.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 10:13:48 AM PDT
J.A. ...

Here are the listed songs and stories on the album:

Born Free
The Crocodile Who Cried
Willie the Whale
The Zebra Who Lost Its Stripes
Quacky Duck (my personal favorite)
Snoopy Sniffer (my other favorite)
The Enchanted Forest
Sebastian, the Merry Go Round Horse
Hetty the Hen

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 10:19:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2008 10:19:52 AM PDT
Alas, this is not the album I am thinking of. My album DID also have "The Crocodile Who Cried" and "Willie the Whale" but the other songs I remember are not here and I don't recognize the other titles you list.

BUT learning about the "Happy Time Records" and "Mr. Picwick(?)" record labels has helped me immensely. I'm feeling pretty certain the record I'm looking from came from "Happy Time Records" so I'm chasing down other records of theirs.

Thanks!!! JE

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 11:28:49 AM PDT
Iva Bolden says:
I would gladly do that. My eldest sons' birthday is July 16. Sure like to see his face if I could give him that !!
Thanks,
PatB

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 1:01:20 PM PDT
I went through all the other Happy Time and Mr. Pickwick albums I have and none of them have the repeated plays of the two titles. However, "Hetty the Hen" does pop up a lot every now and then...

Of course, there is one other Pickwick label you'll have to watch for: Cricket Records. These LPs came out in the 50's, and though I only have at least 3, I'm sure the titles are included in a couple of them.

If I do come across the particular album, I will let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 1:23:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2008 1:26:52 PM PDT
I'll try to do some checking on the Cricket label. Thanks for the tip.

Other than "Willie the Whale" and "The Crocodile Who Cried" do you (or anyone else) recognize any of the other songs that my brother & I remember being on this same album? In a previous post I listed some lyrics but here are some expanded/corrected lines that my brother and I have been recalling over the last few days:

* One song about taking a "ride in a BIG soap bubble" to the different planets in the solar system. On Jupiter a gigantic resident is encountered who asks that he be remembered to "all you little people on your tiny planet Earth."

* One song with lyrics pretty close to:
"Who, who's the monkey, Mr. Tibbs, you or I??..."

* One song about becoming different flying things:
"Now I am a bumblebee
and this is how I sound;
Oh I fly up and I fly down
and I fly all around".
There is then a VERY short non-song story about a scary encounter with a spider.

"Now I am an aeroplane"...
There is then a VERY short non-song story an encounter with an enemy fighter plane.

"Me Indian arrow"...
There is then a VERY short non-song story about how he is fired from a bow by the Indian chief in an archery contest:
"He pull me back, back, waaaaaaay back, and here... me... GOOOO!
"Me split other arrow in half!!!"

Thanks for any further information. I've searched for all these types of lyrics...

JAE

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 11:48:08 AM PDT
I am also looking for this album! The cover was of the Soap Bubble song ... "I took a ride on a bubble, a big soap bubble, a big soap bubble I blew". It included Crocky Crocodile and one about "Traveling Musicians" who were animals. Does anybody know who the singers were???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 10:33:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2008 12:36:00 PM PDT
I have the record you are asking about. I too had this as a child and still do. I believe it is just called "CHILDREN'S SONGS".
"Snoopy Sniffer", "The Quacky Family" and I cain't remember the others. I'll have to find it to see the other songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 11:58:44 AM PDT
Hi Carl -- can you please clarify a bit since people on this thread seem to be talking about possibly 2 or more albums.

I in particular am looking for the album that includes:
* "Wee Willie the Whale"
* "Crocodile Who Cried"
* "Ride on a Soap Bubble" song.
* The pretend song ("Now I am a bumblebee/aeroplane/indian-arrow")
* "Who, Who's the Monkey Mr Tibbs, You or I?" song

It sounds like the first two songs at least are on multiple albums but the latter few seem to be more rare.

*** Can you perhaps provide a list of the song titles on your album?

If indeed you have the full album I (and others) would VERY much like a copy of it. I'd be glad to facilitate such copying however I could.

Thanks! :-) Jeff

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 12:38:13 PM PDT
See my previous post.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 12:47:10 PM PDT
Your right we are talking about different albums. This as I recall is called "HAPPY TIME" and it is early 1960's. I remember "FROGGY GOES A HOPPIN" and something about "KITTENS AND MITTENS". The Quacky Family was about ducks and Snoopy Sniffer was a detective I think.
I'll look it up and post again on Friday.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 11:40:43 AM PDT
Were you able to give your son the album?! I just turned 60 last Sunday and Wee Willie the Whale has been in my head FOREVER and better yet - I use to drive my oldest brother CRAZY with it by singing it to the top of my lungs in our house! I would LOVE to get a copy if it becomes available!
Thank you!
AF

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 6:03:16 AM PDT
Iva Bolden says:
No, I haven't. One guy on the site said he was going to make copies available, but I haven't seen anything for months now. Good Luck!! I'd love a copy too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Childrens Music forum (186 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Record from late 70's early 80's - songs from kids around the world - 3 18 days ago
Children's songs from the '80s 27 Jun 9, 2016
Childrens birthday song from the 60's 16 Jun 4, 2016
Looking for a late 80s-early 90s VHS on Alphabet/ A is for My Apple 11 Feb 23, 2016
Looking for an old childrens song 7 Jan 22, 2016
Looking for Children's story telling series on vinyl from the 70s 0 Jan 19, 2016
Princess Prunella and the Candyman 51 Jan 1, 2016
Looking for "Super Duper Christmas" childrens music 69 Dec 20, 2015
Looking for "split-track" cassette "Kids' Christmas Sing-a-long" from Maranatha Music 9 Dec 17, 2015
The big red bus is taking us along to the candy store - 70s 2 Dec 16, 2015
LIVROX - Music is my Life (Dancesong for Children with Danceinstructions) 0 Nov 11, 2015
Welcome to the Children's Music forum 3 Nov 11, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Childrens Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  Jul 26, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions