Customer Discussions > Christian Music forum

Good "Independent" and "Unknown" Christian Artists

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2010 9:56:12 AM PDT
christielynn says:
A lot of my favorite Christian artists seem to be "Independent" artists that aren't played on the radio (at least not that I've heard) and may not be known about, though they are very good! My top 2 favorites are Beckah Shae (Christian "Dance Pop") and Adaeze (Christian R&B and Pop). Beckah Shae has become pretty popular lately, despite being "Independent" from the big labels, but Adaeze's still pretty unknown I think (though she's my favorite, as I like R&B and Pop more than the rock and "contemporary" that's mostly signed and played on the radio). Are there others that are "unsigned" and/or "unknown" (not played on the radio, for example) that are really good? Seems like the labels and the radio pretty much stick to set styles, and don't deviate much, though there is a lot of really good Christian music of other styles out there that hardly anyone knows about as a result. Out of Eden was an exception, but I think they had to work extra hard to get on the radio and such, due to their style of music not being the "typical" in Christian music.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 9:35:04 PM PDT
I totally agree with you. Its my same gripe that I have not only with Contemporary Christian music but Mainstream music whether it be RnB, Pop, Rock, Metal, Goth... etc. I used to subscribe to the fact that *ALL* of todays music is horrible because of the heavy commercialized fluff out there.. (How did Justin Beiber get so popular??)

But I finally realized that its not that ALL music is bad today. Its that the ratio of REALLY REALLY GOOD musicians to the commercialized (poorly created fluff) is so low. And its the fact that you have to sort through more garbage to get at the diamonds.
And the majority of really REALLY good musicians aren't even signed!! (this makes me very sad - because its like after the 70's-90's, music turned sour to me) There are artists that I have been following since the 80-90's and thats who I stick to. Ill research new artists and see if they give me that good feeling of musicianship, talent..etc. .There has got to be a balance.

My Friend and I are embarking on some projects that hopefully will bring back that sense of musicianship, and talent(we both are songwriter/musicians) and hope to give the people what they constantly complain about with todays musicians. (How many times have you gone to Youtube, and watched a video from 70-90 and heard the comments say, "They dont make music like that anymore, or "Music today sux" .. etc)
We hope to bring that back..

But I have heard lots of people talk about Christian rock that Sucks and that people get turned off by hearing ,"GOD" or "Faith" and "Jesus" in lyrics. But Id like to know why these people are looking at that genre anyway? Some Christian music is good, some is bad just like other music. You just have to sort through more of the not-so-good stuff to get at the Diamonds :)

*God Bless*

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 12:37:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2010 10:35:15 PM PDT
David L. Lee says:
Yeah I'm looking for a lot of Christian Rap and christian music in general and finding a couple of good artists/albums.

Godframe (R&P = Rhythm and Praise)
You Are Infinite

Jonathan Cooper (Folk, vocal, pop rock)
Sound the Alarm

David Luckey (gospel)
Eternal Praise

Shawn Davis (gospel)
Rock Jesus Live!!!

Golden Child (rap or HHH = Holy Hope Hop)
Freedom

ViceRoy (rap)
The Shift - Ep Revamped Edition

Sean Slaughter (rap)
The Prototype

W.e.l.l. CED (rap)
Effective & Relevant

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 12:07:36 PM PDT
DJ FELLA says:
Hey yall, i invite you to check out the music of DJ FELLA & ANOINTED VOICES and MR. C-NILE. Let me know what yall think. We are getting a good response here in Baltimore.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 3:34:35 PM PDT
You want good, independent faith music? Got it. This guy saved Christian music for me: Josh Garrels. He mixes rap with folk with middle eastern instruments with spoken word with acoustic with sychronized beats and much more. His studio (and brain) is like a chemistry lab. Check him out. Especially Lost Animals and Stone Tree on his website. Lost Animals Jacaranda is an awesome album as well.

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 2:56:51 AM PDT
lunie 380 for rap
flatfoot 56 for punk

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 4:22:28 AM PDT
http://www.tvulive.com is a good starting point to find christian music artists outside the norm: rock, hardcore, rap, electronic.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2010 1:22:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2010 1:23:27 PM PDT
Hello, in reply to your post, id like to invite you to visit my website, the reason for this is, that I rather have you know a little bit about me first, before you listen to my music, this way you'll know my heart concerning Christ, and then understand why I love to sing about Him. www.armandonovoa.com I sing mostly in Spanish but there one song on that website in English, and I'm currently producing a whole Album in English that will be released in January 2011 with some singles released in middle October of 2010...God Bless.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 4:27:47 AM PDT
I recommend my sister, Michele Womble. I love her first CD, A Few Small Fish, it's very good, deep and thoughtful, inspiring. She has a website: michelewomble.com.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 2:17:52 PM PDT
N.Rogers says:
For the folks looking for the best Christian music, Its true little of the good stuff makes to the mainstream. At the same time little of it will ever be found in the Christian music world. You need to abandon the world of Christian music scenes if you want truly good music w/ genuine spiritual depth. If you want pointless fluff measured in JPM's stick to your CCM music. If you want the Jesus/faith equivelent to pointless emo/etc turn to the CHR scenes. Those seeking seeking good music though need to turn to the secular world. The world of Indie-Rock is becoming more and more ripe w/ good Christian bands. These bands won't show up at Cornerstone, or any other faith based music scene/festival. Now onto a list of good music, a list I have posted many times on this board:

Pedro the Lion
Sufjan Stevens
Wovanhand
16 Horsepower
Paige France
The Welcome Wagon
Narnia
Extol
Horde
Sons of Perdition
Neutral Milk Hotel
The latter half of Nick Caves music is undeniably Christian as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 3:43:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2010 3:48:23 AM PDT
gron4u says:
Welcome to the reality of radio.There are some very good artists that never get played now and it was true in the past. Merna Summers was one of the best gospel singers of all time but once she stopped singing,it is almost impossible to purchase her music.You don't hear it on the radio.You have to search far and near and hope against hope that someone has even a clip on YouTube.Malaco Records does try to distribute some of these great but unknown artists.The traditional gospel music of the '70's,80's and early '90's has been purposely replaced by the record companies by gospel laced with rap. I'm sorry but I don't want rap in my gospel.

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 4:50:20 AM PDT
If you like Irish or Scottish music, then I highly recommend the band Iona. Go to iona.uk.com.

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 8:27:50 PM PDT
Naikuu says:
International House of Prayer releases a lot of phenomenal stuff. Check out Misty Edwards (Eternity, Always on His Mind, Relentless, Point of Life, Fling Wide), Audra Lynn(Fading, Vow), Cory Asbury(Let Me See Your Eyes), as well as Luke Wood, Justin Rizzo, Merchant Band, Clay Edwards... so many good artists out of International House of Prayer in my opinion

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 6:34:12 PM PDT
Anelliott says:
Check out noisetrade.com for mostly independent artists. This website was created by singer/songwritter Derek Webb for the purpose of creating fair trade music for independent artists. It may take some scrounging and digging through the junk, but there are some nuggets of true gold in there. For example, Katie Herzig, Ben Rector are two of many. Enjoy.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 7:01:32 PM PDT
J. Thompson says:
Hey everybody! I totally agree about finding good christian music. But since I grew uo in the south, I like bluegrass gospel. It's all about what kind of music a person grew up listening to. Here where I live there is not one radio station that plays bluegrass and country gospel except one that plays it only on Sunday mornings. The church I go to sings contemporary christian and I remember hating it the first few months but it grew on me. And now I like it, there's lots of very talented musicians out there that love the Lord and that's who I listen to now. But the radio stations do tend to play the same songs over and over again. I like variety in my music, a little bluegrass, a little rock, a little folk but no rap!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 7:14:38 PM PDT
Hi, I would love to hear some good ole' bluegrass, southern or country christian music. As far as I know there is no stations here in the Dallas, Texas area that plays it. Not on tv either. Very little good ole' gosple music around here. gm

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 9:40:05 AM PDT
Gary B says:
solidgospel.com on the net. listen to it all day. Great Southern Gospel.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 4:43:54 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT GLAD TO KNOW SOMEONE HAS EYES AND CAN SEE.
Am an artist & peace promoter for CHRIST i get know radio airplay but am still gonna keep being real THANKS

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 4:46:07 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
YOU MIGHT not like my format but am offering my mp3 demo free at my site wwwtriplem7.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 4:50:52 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
THANKS David am a new artist and i needed that positive feedback. It gives me new idea's for my next album project. Although a lot of spoken word & CHRIST artist do not get airplay

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 4:59:29 PM PDT
Thanks a million Gary B for the solidgospel.com information.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 5:00:27 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
THANKS

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 5:01:32 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
Can you give me a website thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 5:02:02 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
Yeah am feeling that TRUTH THANKS

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 5:18:30 PM PDT
TRIPLE M7 says:
Thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christian Music forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christian Music forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  104
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions