Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

How did you a Jew become a Christian?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 5154 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2012 7:00:00 PM PDT
M. Galishoff says:
I may regret starting this thread. Before you reply and we risk what my daughter coined as a "verbal detonation," hear my preface.

I was raised a secular Jew in New York. Yet I had a yearning all my life for knowing about God. I became a doctor and eventually moved to rural Alabama where there are a handful of Jews here, perhaps three or four. We are rare here. I encountered no antisemitism and was welcome as anyone would be from outside a small rural town (another story).

Anyway, without going into details, I was eventually called by Christ into His Church.

I began attending and joined the only Church I ever attended.

After my profession of faith and joining the Church I was asked, in a very loving way, by my Church brothers and sisters the question that heads this OP: How did you a Jew become a Christian? Meaning, what made you decide to change from Judaism to Christianity? And I am still asked this, in Church, by Christians, in the same curious loving manner.

The question always confused me. I was taken aback. I could not give them the answer they wanted because it was not relevant to my election and effectual calling.

My only reply has been: "Do you not know?" Meaning, I was called to Christ the same way you and every other Christian was and will be. I was called by God.

Thus my answer was a very Jewish one, a question to a question - "Do you not know?"

So many years have gone by and I still ponder this and feel it was the only correct answer I could give.

Any thoughts?

Sidebar: many of you know that I have not been well and that I cannot always sit at the computer and participate as much as I would like. Please keep this in mind as I engage you or fail to do so. I have not started threads in a while because I could not participate in them properly. I would like to try again. I hope to keep it simple and on point.

God bless everyone: peace and love

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:40:08 PM PDT
Drop this two word phrase < personal information > into the Prometheus Lass Conversations with San Diego thread search box and numerous results will provide a compendium of facts that your question requests.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:22:06 AM PDT
M. Galishoff,

Most Christians accept that Paul was once Jewish. I'm not sure that any of them would think that that was odd, or unusual. However, if you mention that Jesus was Jewish that is a whole 'nother acceptance.

So my question back to you would be, why not? I would think it would be easier to come from a faith in god than from never heard from god, but to your direct question I truly haven't been there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:29:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 8:32:26 AM PDT
if you believe Christ Jesus the nazarene is who He said He was then you have no logical alternative but to accept Him.

there is evidence, not proof, but evidence as would be use in a court of law that He rose from the dead as He said that He would.

either you , like any jury hearing evidence, decide that He told the truth or you do not believe Him.

if you believe , then you have to accept Him as your saviour and the only way to God is through Him.

if you dont believe, then feel free to continue your life as it is.
we do ask that if you are polite, civil, reasonable person that you do NOT bother trying to tell us that we are wrong. AND we do not care why you do not beleive. that is your choice.

we will tell people the good news of Christ Jesus the nazarene's existence and his significance. but we wont try to force you to believe us. if you reject this wisdom then we will let you go on your way and wish you well; while we tell the good news to someone else who may be interested in knowing the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:31:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 8:35:50 AM PDT
my problem is that all brand name churches that i have seen have all changed the teachings of Christ Jesus and added many pagan customs as well as piled on many pharisee rules and laws.

the rcc is the whore of babylon and i would not risk associating with them. some 'churches' are cults even if they say "Jesus" a lot. some churches are, hopefully, merely misguided in the excess irrelevancies they piled on but have the correct core message although their effectiveness is weakened by the distractions they added.

one should seek a group of true believers who are members of the true church and not put their faith in the many false and misguided 'churches' that claim to have the only way.

we need to restore the true church , which is the believers in Christ, back to how it was in AD30-40 time frame and discard all the pagan practices the rcc added in their quest for power and wealth by teaming with the roman emperors, as well as discarding the remnants that the protestants brought with them.

read the bible, see the actual truth, ignore the man made nonsense and pagan customs the churches have added to that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:34:25 AM PDT
M. Galishoff says:
Indeed, but "why" is not "how"?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 9:36:24 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
I was brought up in a Christian church. I believed the Bible, and that Jesus died for my sin. I appreciated what He did for me...but...I was drawn to Him, just as you were by God's Spirit a bit later on. I appreciated what Jesus had done for me, but I didn't "like " Him. I had a negative view of Him.

It wasn't until I responded with a whole heart, asking God to be MY God, to do whatever He wanted to do with my life...that I began to actually get to know Jesus Christ. All those years in my youth I had a "view" of the false Christ. The true Lord was not like I had known before.

Like the blind man being touched once by Jesus, he saw men walking like trees...that second touch did the complete healing.

Being a born a Jew and being in that element of teaching...would be religion. And so it was in my own life, religion.

When I made my commitment to Him...I started in my new life, a relationship with God. Alive to Him, able to hear Him, and be led by His Spirit, in fellowship with God...is a far cry from any religion.

It is Life!! I in Him, His life in me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:05:54 AM PDT
mrs exp says:
M Galishoff,
I'm sorry you haven't been well. I have to stop sometimes because of cramps in my fingers. I'm glad that God called you.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:16:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 10:16:52 AM PDT
Macheath says:
M. Galishoff, I suspect that some Christians, when they ask how you came to be a Christian, have in the back of their mind stories they've heard about how when some Jews convert to Christianity their families get very upset with them. They probably think it was a pretty big deal for you to make that move, in addition to the religious change in your life you might have had to deal with resentment from family. You mention you were raised in a secular Jewish family and that may have made a difference where it wasn't that huge a deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:47:40 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:57:03 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
I am so sorry, mrs exp. I am happy to see you here. Hope you don't have too much trouble. (For leg cramps, Tonic Water is good for me, because it has Quinine in it. Just a little glass on occasion seems to help when cramping is a problem.)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:21:05 AM PDT
M. Galishoff says:
All

Hi old friends!

And I think Macheath is correct. But then the question should be "how is it with your family?"

I replied "Don't you know?" because it is one thing that all Christians should have in common.

Is that not what Scripture teaches?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 11:43:21 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 5:56:58 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 12:45:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 12:47:35 PM PDT
M. Galishoff says:
Anne

It comes down to the understanding that all Christians are called by God. That is the way. Scripture teaches that there is but one way to eternal life:Christ. It also teaches that although there are as many ways to Christ as there are people (for who does not have their own personal story) what they all have in common is being called by God.

"44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets, `And they will all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me- "

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. 2001 (Jn 6:44-45). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

Thus my reply "Don't you know?" draws upon that common experience of being called by the Father and experiencing the regeneration that precedes faith.

Is it more a marvel that I, a Jew, be called than a person in the heart of Africa who worships in an animistic religion? And do we not come the same way though or individual stories differ?

Addenda: BTW until I moved here the main experience and testimony regarding Christianity I experienced was Catholic. I do not feel this is a negative. For I was introduced to Christ and exposed to the great liturgy and music. But it was not when and how God called me. I must ask the Lord when we meet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 1:38:15 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 1:41:52 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 1:53:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 5:57:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:04:38 PM PDT
boolsheet
stop spreading the popes lies and pagan practices

the bible clearly proves that Jesus is the Son of God and the two are uniquely different and separate entities not the same identical one

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:07:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 2:09:06 PM PDT
and, Actually, the bible affirms that Jesus is God The Eternal Son who became man, (John 20:28) after all, ONLY God can save us from our sins, (Matthew 1:21, John 1:29, Matthew 26:28, 1 John 4;14) and ONLY God is the Author of all Life, (Acts 3;15), and ONLY God is greater than His dwelling place. (Matthew 12:6). Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Christ

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:08:41 PM PDT
Anne Rice, yet the incarnation is absurd and man made, no? (John 1;14). Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Christ

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 2:11:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 5:57:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:29:17 PM PDT
wow i couldnt have said it better, I to have poor health, but had attended a church where i first felt comftable. we then had a rich family join and the next thing u know thew were invoved and in charge of everything. My eyes weren oppened during a Easter program when they all of a sudden were the lead rolls that belonged to other people before. Many people called me crying because of what was happening,. I went to the pstor and his wife and was told that they are in charge. Fine right? no whenwent to wedneswday night service where i taught 6 to 12 year old for over a year i was pulled in to the office, a lot of the people who were crying about all that was going on were in the office They were told that "I dont feel comfortable in the church anymore". not 1 person said a thing, so much for doing what is right! My children and I left the church as soon as the play was over. we finished the play because we made a comitment. I will read my bible and ash God to help me to understand. I love God sometimes church's dot always serve God.

Good that you gave your life to God no matter what you background. Your answer is great!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:33:26 PM PDT
G. J. Stein says:
Anne Rice says: "...Christians have chosen this thread as a battlefield. They are pitching their tents and sharpening their weapons."

A little over dramatic Anne.
Any Christian who knows the game will tell you, "the battle is the Lords, we're just here to sow".

The effort is neither threatening or violent.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:46:04 PM PDT
M. Galishoff says:
Anne

As I recall the "neutral zone" was between the Federation and the Klingon Empire :-).

Perhaps we need a no fly zone, or cease fire zone.

But yes, Anne, religion and Christianity in particular does divide people and no one is neutral. Such was taught by Jesus.

I had no hidden agenda here - just a memory of honest questions from loving people and my effort to answer honestly. One thing I can say is that I did not weigh the various merits and teachings of the different religions as a deciding factor in this.

I was called. God taught me. My eyes were opened and behold!

Surely there was more going on. I was seeking, reading and learning. But in the end I did not decide based upon my research and experience. God called and I effectually said, "here I am, Lord." I was a lost sheep that knew my shepherd's voice.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:48:22 PM PDT
M. Galishoff says:
Mrs Exp

Thanks. Fortunately my hands are spared. For now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 207 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  5154
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions