Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Verses of Universal Encouragement from the Bible

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 2:21:33 PM PDT
Jeremiah Cox says:
God is love.

Everyone that loveth knoweth God and is born of God.

God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all.

His mercy endureth forever.

Fear not: for, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be unto all people.

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

They shall all be taught of God.

All flesh shall see the salvation of God.

All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

Everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly father give the holy spirit to them that ask him?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

He that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out.

To as many as received him gave he the power to become the sons of God.

I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not.

And what doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

As it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:12:58 PM PDT
J. Rawlins says:
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people's sins against them. And He gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:35:21 PM PDT
Jer, "Blessed are the merciful, for these shall be shown mercy.", (Matthew 5:7). "Go and do likewise", (Luke 10:37). Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:02:41 PM PDT
G. J. Stein says:
Ephesians 2:14-22

For [Jesus] Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances,
so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,
and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.

And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near.
For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. Now, therefore, you are no longer
strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,

having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built
together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

: )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:22:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 10:04:02 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox: God is love.

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. (Psalms 137:9)

Samaria ... hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Hosea 13:16)

2 Kings 15:16 Then Menahem smote Tiphsah, and all that were therein, ... because they opened not to him, therefore he smote it; and all the women therein that were with child he ripped up. (2 Kings 15:16)

For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. (Zechariah 14:2)

They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses. (Numbers 15:32 & 36)

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. (Numbers 31:17-18)

But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee: (Deut. 20:16-17)

Chuck: Just a question; are these things what love looks like?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:36:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:48:38 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
"Chuck: Just a question; are these things what love looks like?"

I don't know Chuck, next time I pull-off creating 20 billion humans and put them on a planet to live in peace with me as their god, and they start to rebel against me and do all those things you cited and worse to each other, ignoring my commandments teaching them how to live contrary; I guess I'll be in a position to let you know what's going through my mind as I deal with them.

I assume you feel you're in such a position???

You act like it's so obvious Chuck; 'God is just a monster and he's out to get us'. To bad 90% of the earths population disagrees. You need to reconsider the very air you breath, the rain and sun, the health and well being of yourself and your loved ones, the fact you're not a man subjected to the OT world, or even the present Middle Eastern culture. Yes Chuck, He blessed you along side me, in dodging that bullet. But I thank Him for it, its the least I can do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:18:49 PM PST
Joe W says:
GJS: I don't know Chuck, next time I pull-off creating 20 billion humans and put them on a planet to live in peace with me as their god, and they start to rebel against me and do all those things you cited and worse to each other, ignoring my commandments teaching them how to live contrary; I guess I'll be in a position to let you know what's going through my mind as I deal with them.

Joe: What do you mean you don't know? You claim that you do know. You say that you have accepted the claim that those atrocities are what love looks like.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:35:03 PM PST
G. J. Stein: I don't know Chuck, next time I pull-off creating 20 billion humans and put them on a planet to live in peace with me as their god, and they start to rebel against me and do all those things you cited and worse to each other, ignoring my commandments teaching them how to live contrary; ....

Chuck: Is God omniscient or not? Is God omnipotent or not? How many attempts does He need to get it right?

G. J. Stein: I guess I'll be in a position to let you know what's going through my mind as I deal with them. I assume you feel you're in such a position???

Chuck: If you mean and I in a position to know that ripping babies from their mommies tummies is wrong, yes I am. The question is why aren't you in a position to know that something like that is evil? There is another question that Abraham asked God, "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" The answer is obvious to me.
Why isn't it to you?

G. J. Stein: You act like it's so obvious Chuck; 'God is just a monster and he's out to get us'.

Chuck: That appears to be the truth of the Bible. God knows the future but creates the wicked anyway. Why? Wait, He tells us - so He can burn them for His personal entertainment. "The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." (Proverbs 16:4) Does that seem like an act of love to you?

G. J. Stein: To bad 90% of the earth's population disagrees.

Chuck: And you think that is a strong argument? What was the percentage that agreed with slavery?

G. J. Stein: You need to reconsider the very air you breath, the rain and sun, the health and well being of yourself and your loved ones, ....

Chuck: I'm guessing you're not a student of the evolution of our planet?

G. J. Stein: ... the fact you're not a man subjected to the OT world, or even the present Middle Eastern culture.

Chuck: How odd that you are putting down your perfect God's OT world.

G. J. Stein: Yes Chuck, He blessed you along side me, ....

Chuck: My wife and I just today took her mother to a nursing home because of her advance dementia. Blessed? A little three-year-old boy was eaten alive by a pack of wild dogs at a zoo a day or so ago. Blessed?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:50:48 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Thanks Chuck. I guess it was inevitable that those things would be said. And your whole point is entirely correct, no ifs, buts, or maybes. You are simply right. Examine the title of the thread. The scriptures i listed were chosen entirely on the basis that they were encouraging. Much of the Bible was written by the Devil (no existential import intended). As to the testimony of the universe itself, it proves that there is no micro-managing creator who has eliminated suffering. Children on a cancer ward should settle that issue in short order. So should the Holocaust.

So how can the integrity of my quotes be preserved. They are encouraging only if, in some sense, they are true. And yet, the "Creation" has (probably) more horrors than delights.

We don't HAVE to worship the Creator. We don't HAVE to designate the Creator as God. We can part company with that god and chose any god (by which I mean any personal object of worship) that we please. No micro-managing Creator has earned my worship. But Love has!

Love is God, because I STIPULATE that God is love. Love is the object of my worship.

Having so done (and I could have chosen Truth instead) all the above scriptures fall into place.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I thought I would get emails for each post, but I guess I didn't check the box. All submissions were appreciated, and I realize this is a pluralistic society with many points of view. I assume everyone has earned his or her stripes by the arduous search for the truth that real life requires.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:27:14 PM PST
Jeremiah,

I'm still trying to digest your post! It sure gave me pause. I'm afraid I gave a knee-jerk response. I have trouble with anything that is supportive of the Bible god because of the horrific nature of that god. You're right that we don't have to worship the Bible god, and you're right that there are a lot of good, uplifting words in the Bible. I particularly liked the lines, "As to the testimony of the universe itself, it proves that there is no micro-managing creator who has eliminated suffering. Children on a cancer ward should settle that issue in short order. So should the Holocaust."

I will be paying more attention to your posts in the future ;-)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:28:20 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
I appreciate your comment. I fully understand your initial reaction. As I say, it was inevitable, and it certainly makes sense. We live in a time of bewildering intellectual conflict. Many points of view are hard-won, resulting from an honest struggle for truth. There are others, that emerge from a fear and hatred of truth, claiming the right to Decree what is true, both for oneself and everyone else. In my case, knowing well the Radiance that exists side by side with the terror and tawdriness of both Bible and life, I seek to magnify the one without denying the other. And I see, among the posts on this discussion, people whom I disagree with in our conclusions but respect for the Heart-Truth they espouse. Religion is a tangle of insight and absurdity and it has taken me, for one, a lifetime to gain even a minimum of clarity. The scriptures I have posted certainly come out with a truth value of T, once you grant the God to whom they are devoted. That God exists indisputably as an abstraction and a personification (of Love), but how substantial it is in Reality is an open question. At that point, I do trust the avatars, saints, and sages on the fundamental intuition, if not on the details of their sundry doctrines. And I have my own corroborative experiences of the Incursion of Love into the world. My own experience is that "Love is trying to get through." Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:26:37 AM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Thank you so much, J. Rawlins, for your post. Do you believe salvation is universal?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:29:03 AM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Yes, Matthew, it's not that hard to show mercy. I also omitted the Parable of the Prodigal Son, which may be the most generous of all passages in the Bible. Of course, I limited myself ahead of time to short verses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:35:07 AM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
GJS.

I, for one, don't believe God is monstrous, although I think many of our concepts of God are. I could never accept, however, that just because God CAN deal with us as He will, that that would make it right. The NT teaches that more people will be wrong than right about spiritual truth, so I don't see how we can determine what's right by a head-count. Meanwhile, thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoyed my selection of scriptural light.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:46:03 AM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
GJS: I'm not familiar with that translation. It's very crisp. Your selection is a pretty friendly text. How do you handle the objection that most people have never heard of Jesus? My own view is that people can have access to the Christ he incarnates without knowing him by the name Jesus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:44:58 PM PST
Craig says:
Jeremiah Cox says: "My own view is that people can have access to the Christ he incarnates without knowing him by the name Jesus."

I agree with you.

Titis 2:11 "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:04:48 PM PST
Rev. 3:16

But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

Exodus 20:17

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, ........ nor his ass.......

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:05:01 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Hi Craig,

I looked up Titus 2:11 and found there is nothing in the surrounding verses that contradicts the clear meaning of the one selected. This one certainly should have been among those in my original post! Thanks for finding it for me. I hope you will enjoy my elaborations on the point, which I made in 1999:

The Telephone

[The following was written in 1999, so the technology in use was different from now. The telephone I refer to is a "corded landline" with a separate speaker.]

Imagine that your telephone rings and you push the button on your speaker box so that everyone in the house can hear. The voice at the other end says, "This is God speaking."

Over a period of several days, the voice teaches you miraculous secrets of life that magnify your bliss and spiritual power. By this time, you have invited the neighbors in every Sunday, and they are getting the same benefits. Some of them have a powerful belief in God already but are not convinced he speaks through this particular telephone. Others believe he has spoken not only through this telephone but through many others besides.

Miracles begin to occur around the box. The voice says, "See, I told you I was God! But mind you, don't mistake the miracles for the message. They serve only to prove the message is authentic." Suppose after weeks and months, the voice says, "Go ahead, cut the cord, and I'll restore it in three days, good as new, without even replacing the cord." He makes good on that promise.

What will no doubt happen is that a church will form around the telephone. The church will teach that salvation comes through that telephone alone and no other. They will remind everyone what the telephone had told them: "It's a matter of life and death whether you believe that I am he." They will lose sight of what the voice obviously meant by these words.

You will have guessed by now that the telephone in question is the body of Jesus Christ. Many of the errors of the Christian religion can be explained as a confusion of that telephone with the voice that spoke through it.

The truth is otherwise. The idea was never that salvation comes through belief in the telephone, but in the Sacred Heart who spoke through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:22:15 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Thank you Arpard.

Certainly people who have problems with the strength of their devotion can benefit from these tender admonitions, as can those who are ravaged by covetousness. I have read all the posts and frankly can't imagine to whom these counsels are addressed. But surely those who need them most will make use of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 3:18:15 PM PST
Jeremiah, indeed, if we have Christ in our heart, mercy flows, but we must maintain Him our All every day in our prayer lives, to reflect this mercy. Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 3:55:49 PM PST
Craig says:
Thanks Jeremiah, I like your analogy too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 3:59:28 PM PST
Craig says:
Romans 8:38-39 " For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:06:08 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Yes, Matthew, you should certainly keep your attention focused on Jesus. "Be ye therefore perfect, as your father in heaven is perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:07:57 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Jeremiah Cox says: "GJS: I'm not familiar with that translation. It's very crisp. Your selection is a pretty friendly text.
How do you handle the objection that most people have never heard of Jesus?
My own view is that people can have access to the Christ he incarnates without knowing him by the name Jesus."

That text is from the New King James, I usually will add the reference if I use the Amplified bible or New American Standard.

I see from your example of the telephone you feel God was using Jesus as a 'kind-of' speaker but
not really 'the' speaker which makes me wonder if you hold true the Trinity?

At any rate, Craig agreed with you and cited a verse from Titus 2:11, suggesting it backed what you said here:
'My own view is that people can have access to the Christ he incarnates without knowing him by the name Jesus."

In my opinion, I think that Titus verse, in context, speaks the opposite, proving the gospel message who's subject
is Jesus Christ, is what has appeared, and not only that, "it" teaches us how to say NO to unrighteousness:
Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12 teaching us..."

So, this is not a vague generality but a literal thing that involves something well defined in the same book, chapter 3:

4 "But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness
which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration
and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly..."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:10:54 PM PST
Jeremiah Cox says:
Yes, of course. One of the most powerful verses in the Bible. Unfortunately, most non-Christians will not take it as applying to them. That's why I included, "Everyone that loveth knoweth God and is born of God." Still, this one is a verse of unparalleled encouragement.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
458 8 days ago
Mary was Sinless -- Part XXIII 9911 2 seconds ago
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the restored church II 7267 1 minute ago
Which Bible? 356 6 minutes ago
King James Inerrancy 869 19 minutes ago
The "Rapture" of the Church verses The "Second Coming of The Lord Jesus Christ" 5190 39 minutes ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ- Part 8 6846 40 minutes ago
Can Christianity be saved from the harm done by Literalist ID/Creationist End Times fundies: Part the Fifth 2271 47 minutes ago
Will an atheist ever change their mind? 2419 55 minutes ago
The Historical Jesus 1098 1 hour ago
Christian religious liberty under attack 1055 1 hour ago
Was Christ's crucifixion a genuine sacrifice? 1233 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions