Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Pope Benedict Resigns

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2013 3:18:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 3:20:01 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
At 11am (Central European Time) today Monday 11th Febuary the Vatican confirmed that Pope Benedict XVI will stand down on 28th Feb. 2013
The Pope himself released a statement saying he is fully aware of the gravity of the gesture he is making. He becomes the first Pope in centuries to stand down.
The Vatican has said, through the news agency Reuters, that there will be a vacuum until a new Pope is appointed.
As yet, no further details have been released. Obviously rumours will abound about the Churches role in cover-ups over child abuse, connections with Hitler's Youth and ill health.
Commentary from church and theologians all register complete shock at the news.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 3:41:54 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 25, 2013 10:28:35 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:06:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 4:08:25 AM PST
The Prophecy of St Malachy springs to mind.The next Pope will be the last Pope and the Vatican will come to an End.
The Glory of the Olive is making way for Peter the Roman.

<<In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End>>

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:17:45 AM PST
I'm stunned.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:19:03 AM PST
''In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End'

I was just remembering the above prophecy, thanks for posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:21:41 AM PST
Growing old and inept didn't prevent hundreds of other Pope's from remaining Pontiff. I'm sure the sex scandal stuff has been and is very trying, but I wonder if there's something to do with those stolen letters by the Cardinal butler was it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:33:54 AM PST
I guess we'll find out in time, Pearls. He says it's due to his mental and physical strength deteriorating. But I have to wonder if it's more than that also.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:36:49 AM PST
Well he does look a bit emaciated and more frail now...? He's a got a really tough job either way.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:38:02 AM PST
For the first time, I'm feeling scared for the fate of the Catholic Church. No one has resigned before. "The gates of Hell shall not prevail," Jesus promised. I keep that in mind and pray for us all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:38:19 AM PST
Some say that Petrus Romano will be the anti-Christ-what do you think? I think of the pres of Iran but who knows...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:41:15 AM PST
We're definately in trying times that lead to the Return of our Lord Jesus! That's what I'm looking for. Not one sheep held in His Hands will ever be lost. He goes after and retreives the ones who strayed. And these sheep are His body/Church.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:43:56 AM PST
For those interested, here is the link to EWTN's news page. This will most assuredly be updated when the press conference is over.

http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/Vatican.php?id=6997

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:44:45 AM PST
Pearls, I honestly don't know. But right now, I have an awful feeling.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:47:05 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:49:46 AM PST
I agree. And he's had several strokes. He was quite hesitant about becoming Pope. Wanted a quiet life teaching and writing. I wonder if he'll be able to have that now?

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:50:53 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
At least he's not going AWOL.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:53:07 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Maybe the Vatican should have a succession plan if the reigning Pope becomes disabled or otherwise unable to function. What would they do if he went into a coma, for example?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:59:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 5:04:17 AM PST
Kevin Bold says:
"Obviously rumours will abound about the Churches role in cover-ups over child abuse, connections with Hitler's Youth and ill health."

And that's all they are: rumors. Pope Benedict has done a wonderful job; John Paul II was a "tough act" to follow.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:03:04 AM PST
AMEN Lily!! That's what matters :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:03:24 AM PST
The antichrist has been all of the popes

And peter was not a papa, he was married and never went to "rule" at Rome

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:05:40 AM PST
Brian, I think they discussed that several times during now Blessed John Paul II's tenure. Even when it was evident in his last days that he couldn't continue, he showed how to live, age and die with dignity.

Obviously, Pope Benedict has been thinking about this for awhile. Still, it's sad to see him stand down. I hope his health isn't more serious than we know.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:06:19 AM PST
I thought of that too, but he had wanted to also enjoy the arts and doesn't sound to be all that equipped if he's really resigning on account of ineptitude. It's strange he just put up a twitter acct. He could be too weak after the strokes, it just seems like there may be more as Vatican is citing that he has examined his concousness...which could be taken in different ways. He still seems very alert and smart. He just authored another book too!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:08:27 AM PST
I know, hope there's no alzheimers or dementia. God bless him.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:17:16 AM PST
I still have my ticket to one of his early audiences when he first became Pope, several Papal Blessings and an Easter card from him. All hold fond memories just as my JPII items do.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:27:27 AM PST
I'm searching his private secretary Georg Ganswein and seems I'm not the only one. There's some on high wanting a statement from Georg who it is being reported that Pope Benedict has paved the way for him to become the next Pope as he is now also ArchBishop.
Lily have you ever read George's kitty book on Joseph & Chico? It's so cute!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 277 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  6916
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions