Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Suicide of Jesus was against Jewish Law

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1064 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2012 12:22:24 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:26:08 PM PST
Kevin Bold says:
Then explain Masada.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 12:38:48 PM PST
I'm not interested in Masada. They didn't say they ransomed the world.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:47:52 PM PST
Jesus didn't commit suicide. Giving your life for others isn't always "suicide" per se.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 2:21:43 PM PST
???

christ did not commit suicide

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 2:33:11 PM PST
Kevin Bold says:
Well, you should be. You're the one who made a sweeping statement about suicide being against Jewish law.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 2:34:24 PM PST
Kevin Bold says:
A more recent example is Maximilian Kolbe, who took another person's place at a Nazi death camp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:20:06 PM PST
Sort of like pushing somebody out of the path of the train. OK. That's not premeditated, but it is a start. Just trying to get a handle on how this works.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:22:36 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 5:32:07 PM PST
Even though I don't believe in the Jesus story, I don't think the actions attributed to him constitute suicide. The definition has an element of "taking one's own life," as opposed to "putting oneself in circumstances in which the person believes or knows they will die."

As an example, people on death row have escaped in the past. If one of them were to turn themselves in, they know what the consequences are, and when they are eventually executed, they are not considered to have "committed suicide."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:06:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 6:00:16 AM PDT
judas, Actually, Jesus didn't take His life, but He allowed His life to be taken by those who freely chose to kill Him. There is a big difference! Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Christ

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:08:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 11:54:29 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
sahansdal says: "He did say HE gave his life, according to Christian interpretation, as a death on behalf of others.
Isn't that suicide? I'm just askin'"

Good question!

He didn't commit suicide! He accomplished a goal; to die in the place of you and me as well as all mankind,
with the knowledge that God could, and would, (as part of His plan), raise Him from the dead with Eternal Life,
and that He would afterwards offer that Life to you and I, thereby restoring us to life we lost in the Garden of
Eden, by Adam and Eve.

In the years after the Garden, and after the flood, God worked with man, specifically the Nation of Israel, to
try and heal the relationship they had, by giving them a religion with rules and ordinances to follow as a guide.
This proved to be disastrous on a national and personal level, no one was able to obey the Laws of Moses,
and the need for a blood sacrifice, (to cover their sins), was in constant demand, to the point where it became
the norm.

This is why we read that Jesus overthrew the tables in the market within the temple walls. The merchants were
making it convenient for the 'sinners' to buy the sacrifices they needed, and doing it for a handsome profit.

Jesus' factual, historical death on the cross was a one time shedding of blood, blood more superior than that
of bulls and goats, and it not only covered the sins of men but it took them away, and put the entire planet on
one level ground before God. The acceptance of this wonderful sacrifice on your part is step one of receiving the
gift of eternal life, step two is to recognize His resurrection from the dead according to the written
testimony in the bible; this is how we can enter a relationship with Him today...

...and I take it that's where you're at, and asking important questions which I hope I helped you understand better.

This question and many others are the reason why biblical scholars rely on something called Exegesis when
formulating opinion and commentary to help readers of the bible.

From http://www.theopedia.com/Exegesis:

"Biblical exegesis is a systematic process by which a person arrives at a reasonable and coherent
sense of the meaning and message of a biblical passage. Ideally, an understanding of the original texts
(Greek and Hebrew) is required. In the process of exegesis, a passage must be viewed in its historical and
grammatical context with its time/purpose of writing taken into account. This is often accommodated by asking:

Who wrote the text, and who is the intended readership?

What is the context of the text, i.e. how does it fit in the author's larger thought process, purpose, or
argument in the chapter and book where it resides?

Is the choice of words, wording, or word order significant in this particular passage?

Why was the text written (e.g. to correct, encourage, or explain, etc.)?

When was the text written?

: )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:37:26 PM PST
nope

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:42:35 PM PST
He didn't commit suicide. He was tried, found guilty (but not by Pilate), sentenced and crucified.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:43:45 PM PST
No, it isn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:53:38 PM PST
What is it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:57:24 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:59:36 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Sahnasdal, you're right, it doesn't add up and there are plenty of Bible scholars who are recognizing that and saying that this was all obviously made up out of pretty close to whole cloth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:14:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 11:43:13 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Nancy:

I have to take issue with you. Please note, I like you and your contributions, (all around), but I have
to ask this here:

Are you denying there was a literal Jesus who's life changed the world 2000 years ago
and was put to death on a Roman cross, as history bears witness?

This person is asking a simple question about Christian doctrine and I have a feeling
you're not a Christian, correct me if I'm wrong.

Question: If you made a decision to intervene and prevent the death of others knowing that it would
cost you your life, would anyone in their right mind say, as a result of your actions you committed suicide?

...tick...tick...tick...ding!

You see how it does add up? In proper context, as I mentioned above.

; ]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:44:12 PM PST
Big Shmooz says:
sahansdal says: I'm not sure any of this is true. The Sanhedrin couldn't meet at night legally. It could not sentence crucifixion. Pilate never passed sentence. And stoning is supposed to be the method for blasphmey. Nothing adds up.

Me: What Sanhedrin? If one bases their information on the new test there was no Sanhedrin involved.

All one has to know is the law of what constitutes blasphemy in the Torah to realize the whole new test story is bogus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:51:56 PM PST
Big Shmooz says:
sahansdal says: Mark 10:45 states that Jesus said the Son of man was to "give his life a ransom for many". But suicide is not lawful under Jewish Law. Is this what he really meant?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_views_on_suicide

Me: To be fair, I don't see this as an act of suicide. Suicide denotes the idea that one actively takes their own life. While I do know the new test story of jesus is false, I cannot say in good conscience that if one uses the new test description as their basis of understanding, this would be considered as suicide.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 11:35:28 PM PST
An unselfish act of kindness by the Word made flesh. If Jesus had not died on Calvary's Cross, your sins and the sins of the whole world wouldn't have been forgiven. He loved us so much that He GAVE His life for us.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 12:12:11 AM PST
and was put to death on a Roman cross, as history bears witness?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 12:16:11 AM PST
I don't see why I should believe that anyone's dying forgave my sins. Nobody told me that. And Hosea 6:6 clearly states that what is desired is mercy not sacrifice. Why then would God want his own Son killed? And won't I die anyway? How is his death helping me to avoid that?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 1:23:14 AM PST
Kevin Bold says:
What part of "Jesus got shafted" don't you get?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 43 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
457 9 days ago
These are NOT the Last Days! 24 1 minute ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 5788 2 minutes ago
We are living in the Last Days - A Biblical Prophecy Discussion - Part Seven 7045 4 minutes ago
To what extent do Literalist ID/Creationists End Times fundamentalists threaten Christianity: Part the Third , Would like to change this name to how to save the religions that were established by Moses, Muslim, Christian and Jew 7712 38 minutes ago
Atheists: Satan's Spawn or Satan's Pawns? 7724 1 hour ago
Jehovah's Witness's 5265 1 hour ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ- Part 8 3841 1 hour ago
Pre-Tribulation Rapture is a FALSE DOCTRINE 200 1 hour ago
Mary was Sinless -- Part XXIII 6782 1 hour ago
Part 6 - the new thread 1820 1 hour ago
Anyone brave enough... 4884 2 hours ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  1064
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions