Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Charles P. Pierce on the plight of Catholics today

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 11:00:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 7:42:47 AM PST
The following article, which illustrates the feelings of many Catholics today, may be of interest and may provide some insights to non-Catholics.
=======================

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2010/07/11/what_i_believe/

The Boston Globe Magazine July 11, 2010 Pages 16-21

What I believe

One in 10 Catholics nationwide has left the church, and the number of adherents in Massachusetts is slipping. One follower explains why, despite grave doubts about the institution's leadership, he refuses to give up the faith.

By Charles P. Pierce

[...] "The hierarchy," says Richard McBrien, a professor at the University of Notre Dame and an outspoken critic of the institutional church, "is largely irrelevant to any intelligent, educated Catholic."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:05:31 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:05:50 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:10:45 AM PST
horse,
1. It is high time that you get of your high horse about the popes.
2. In view of the fact that so many message on this forum are posted by non-Catholics about the Catholic Church, how can you possibly claim that "this belongs in the catholic forum not the christian forum"?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:29:53 AM PST
A Customer says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:27:00 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:47:15 AM PST
The article should be of interest to the many non-Catholics on this forum who raise assorted issues about Catholics and the Catholic Church.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:21:39 AM PST
Domenico, Yet, Hundreds of Thousands of YOUTH have come in the last several years, as is expected again, to embrace Peter's successor in love of Christ and His Church built on Peter the rock at the World Youth Day. Even Judas left Christ, so 1 of 12 is not a great percentage either, YET, more and more of the faithful are returning to eucharistic adoration and bible studies. Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:02:33 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
The Catholic Church is a large and complex organization and so needs a hierarchy just like any large organization would. Catholics are supposed to abide by the direction they receive from that hierarchy.

When I was walking out of Church the other day I saw a picture of a group of young guys from my area who are currently in various stages of studying to become Catholic priests.

I thought to myself: "These kids are going into a war."

It will be a war against their own desires, against doubt, loneliness, and perhaps disappointment at times, stress and overwork, criticism against the Church itself, and an endless sea of cares and concerns that people will bring to their doorstep.

Catholic priests make a great personal sacrifice to serve the spiritual needs of others.

The Catholic hierarchy which includes the pope, the cardinals, and the bishops, is composed of priests.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:04:35 AM PST
Sir Pugsly says:

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:08:28 AM PST
Jay Runner says:
Pierce is a good writer. Enjoyed the article although I disagree with much of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:10:25 AM PST
Sir Pugsly says:
Jeff..."these kids are going to war"
Yes sir.....you've got that right. The entire, Western culture is collapsing demographically into a "need" for Leftist governance....which has always hated the Catholic Church and murdered its followers.
Catholicism is diametrically opposed to Leftism...and Leftism puts down its enemies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:48:27 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:53:55 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:24:40 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says: "Catholics are supposed to abide by the direction they receive from that hierarchy."

This is a ridiculous statement. The hierarchy is supposed to do its job in the administration of the Catholic Church, which all-to-often has not been the case. If we had more priests like Andrew Greeley, the Catholic Church would be in much, much better shape. I admire him, especially after I read his op-ed piece "Debunking the myth: No loyalty test for Catholics." A scanned copy from the 30 August 1993 Sarasota Herald-Tribune is at:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XychAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kHsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5692,7142386

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:29:40 AM PST
MLB, What about the millions of YOUTH who no longer attend church because of the incompetence and hypocrisy of clerics at all levels?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:37:09 AM PST
Jeff Marzano wrote: "These kids are going into a war."

Kids should not be "studying to become Catholic priests." The Catholic Church should make an all-out effort to recruit mature people, married or widowed, who have taken early retirement. It is truly appalling to see so many clueless, naive priests involved in marriage preparation classes and in marriage and family counseling. There is no substitute for experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:46:52 AM PST
Jay Runner says:
The same can be said for teachers. Four years of university gives one nothing to offer in the classroom.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:54:19 AM PST
With experience, one can become a more and more competent teacher. How can a celibate, clueless, naive priest become competent in marriage preparation classes and in marriage and family counseling?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:11:17 AM PST
Domenico, No, many have not left because of the hierarchy, but because of the lukewarmness of their familes in many cases that don't even instill the faith daily, and some leave out of their own lukewarmness, and many are not lukewarm at all, as is evidenced by the hundreds of thousands of youth that embrace abnd support Peter's successor, and the Church that Jesus built on Peter the rock, as is also evidenced by the increase in Catholic bible studies and eucharistic adoration. Peace alawys in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:23:42 PM PST
I hope you find the piece of yourself that is missing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 1:22:14 PM PST
How do you get to this Catholic forum you speak of.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:06:19 PM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/catholic
http://www.amazon.com/forum/catholicism

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 6:20:46 PM PST
Sorry, horse, but catholics are christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:02:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 9:03:04 PM PST
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions