Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The bible is irrelevant......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 426 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2012 8:46:11 PM PDT
We live according to our times.. This is the scientific age where bronze age/ stone age/ medieval age myths about Gods/Saviors should be relegated to the dustbin of history. So why do people hold onto these beliefs?...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:55:59 PM PDT
The Bible is NOT an elevant! I've seen a Bible in a trunk, but never a trunk on a Bible!!! (Though it does seem like if you put a dozen Christians around one, they all come up with different descriptions of what a Bible is like, like that story about blind guys describing an elephant.) Hmmm... maybe the Bible *is* an elevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:02:47 PM PDT
Lol........

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:11:51 PM PDT
Phillip J. Allen,

Can you imagine what would happen if you wish actually came true? If we actually relegated our understanding of myths and how the influenced the societies they were part of, can you image trying to figure out why there were people acting as they do or exactly what they acted/act the way they do? Myths tend to tell us a lot about a culture that we would know without them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:46:22 PM PDT
Blank says:
You are right Philp. Much damage done in they world in the name of "God"
Dudley Buell

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 10:55:43 PM PDT
if the bible was the epitome of a loving God, then by default peace would be all humanity would ever know.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:40:31 AM PDT
BV says:
PJ - "by default peace would be all humanity would ever know."

Are you suggesting that ALL wars and conflicts are the result of religious differences? And if there was no such thing as religion or belief in God, the world would be in peace?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:51:31 AM PDT
Bubba says:
If it actually came true, people wouldn't be able to use a book of myths that they claim to be the final authority on everything to justify their hate, bigotry, and to interfere in other peoples' lives. I think that this would be a Good Thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:18:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 5:20:08 AM PDT
BV says:
Bubba - " to justify their hate, bigotry"

If people who hate did not have their favorite religious tome to "justify" their hate, they would find something else.

When you were a kid in school, what did the bullies pick on? Sure, they may have picked on a kid with a yamaka, but they also picked on kids who were short, fat, handicapped, foreign, etc. In other words, people hate people who are DIFFERENT!!

Funny that the Bible says you have to LOVE everyone. Maybe more people should read it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 6:41:09 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Philip,

You asked: The bible is irrelevant...So why do people hold onto these beliefs?

Because to many of us, the Bible is very relevant-

What Jesus taught almost 2,000 years ago, is just as relevant to living in our present day, as it was back then.

God speaks to many of us through the Bible. (Yes, I know He speaks to us in other ways, as well).

Do you really feel so threatened, when people believe differently than you, that you have to label their beliefs as bronze/stone age myths that deserve to be thrown into the dustbin?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 6:43:20 AM PDT
Bubba,

My point was that you would not know what their hatred or bigotry was based on if these myths were "removed" from history.

You don't really believe that the hatred would go away do you? I can name a couple people that I think would still be bigoted at the very least! Yes, they use religion as justification, I think there would be something to replace that justification; I don't think it would simply go away.

For me, these seem to be relatively new converts that had serious conflict/depression to overcome and now don't know how to share their "recovery" any way other than to talk in terms of what they believe was removed. They don't talk about the peace, they claim has happened at all!

I also hear "just wait until your father gets home". That doesn't work well with children either!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 6:45:00 AM PDT
BV,

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding about not "keeping your pain inside", that has been misunderstood? Sharing your pain, does NOT mean creating it in others!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 6:57:48 AM PDT
Vicki,

I believe you will find that many react not to the fact that one can find a peace in following a "Love thy neighbor ...." philosophy, but to the need for some of those to appear NOT to love anyone but consistently judging others. Yes, there may be a fine line between when you are telling someone you love that you disapprove of their actions and when you are showing them how you found a philosophy that works for you. But the line here,on this forum, IMO, is not fine at all. The most vocal are aggressive, judgmental, and seemingly unable to engage in dialogue. So far, you seem to see there can be relevance to your life without judging others. Can you see where others might react to being judge by a book/prophet they haven't seen as anything judgmental. Said another way, how would you react if someone was telling you that Mohammed would not only not approve of your choice but that he had said that you were deserving of being attacked for your beliefs and lifestyle choices? Mohammed did know of Jesus, and seems to have respected Jesus as a prophet but there is a faction of his followers that insist that anyone that does not follow him is not only to be shunned but "destroyed". Please don't argue that Mohammed was wrong, I use the example to help you have insight into why "outsiders" don't see things the same way as you might. In Mohammed's case, you would be the outsider.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:08:09 AM PDT
Amon says:
Philip J. Allen says: So why do people hold onto these beliefs?

Amon says: Cause it gives them hope. It give them a sense of comfort and helps them through hard times. It gives them a social outlet, a sense of "belonging" to something. It gives them something to look forward to after death. All of this is fine as long as they're not imposing it on people.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:36:45 AM PDT
Are you suggesting that ALL wars and conflicts are the result of religious differences? And if there was no such thing as religion or belief in God, the world would be in peace?

PJA. Of course, if God is a God of love, the moment any conflict then God should show up and quell it....

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 7:41:21 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
I do think that most wars have been the result of a religious or an ideological conflict. Obviously, most of them also had to do with the acquisition of power. The Crusades were fomented as a way to get the Medieval "nobles" (hardly descriptive), to stop killing off the peasants and go kill off some Turks and Muslims. On the way, of course, they murdered thousands of Jews, but that was just to exercise their sword arms, after all, and the Jews were - well - in the way.

Okay, now I'm getting sarcastic, and will sign off.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:44:32 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Philip,

You asked: The bible is irrelevant...So why do people hold onto these beliefs?

Because to many of us, the Bible is very relevant-

PJA. Yet none can give a good enough reason as to why.....we don't get to work in a horse and cart....We don't communicate by smoke, to hold these beliefs is detrimental to the believer. If only they could see it...

What Jesus taught almost 2,000 years ago, is just as relevant to living in our present day, as it was back then.

PJA. There are hundreds of other teachings which hold more relevancy to the present day world, far more logical and far more appropriate. The teachings of Jesus are also not infallible. Some are guidelines, some are incomprehensible. But they should NOT be held as sacred or reverent.....
God speaks to many of us through the Bible. (Yes, I know He speaks to us in other ways, as well).

Do you really feel so threatened, when people believe differently than you, that you have to label their beliefs as bronze/stone age myths that deserve to be thrown into the dustbin?

PJA. I don't feel threatened at all. I just wonder why they prefer them to far superior philosophies that we have today...And yes they should be consigned to the dustbin.. Humanity has progressed in the last 2000 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:48:08 AM PDT
Amon says:
Philip J. Allen says: So why do people hold onto these beliefs?

Amon says: Cause it gives them hope. It give them a sense of comfort and helps them through hard times. It gives them a social outlet, a sense of "belonging" to something. It gives them something to look forward to after death. All of this is fine as long as they're not imposing it on people.

PJA. I understand that it gives them "hope" and comfort. My question is why does this particular belief give them hope. Out of all the possibilities, why does this one. It isn't tangible, it isn't even current. It is 2000 years old. Surely there must be better alternatives to offer people in trying times?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:12:34 AM PDT
Amon says:
PJA says: My question is why does this particular belief give them hope. Out of all the possibilities, why does this one. It isn't tangible, it isn't even current. It is 2000 years old. Surely there must be better alternatives to offer people in trying times?

Amon says: Why do you prefer chocolate over vanilla or vice versa? Why do I prefer metal over other forms of music? Its all about personal taste and what's most widely available to them to fulfill that need. You understand what I'm saying?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:23:39 AM PDT
J. Patrick says:
Looking back over 10,000 years of human history or even 10 minutes of recent history with a neighbor that you are at odds with, there is not a strong case that mankind is improving over time. The Bible explained 2,000 years ago why this is. There is a design, and man being in the driver's seat is clearly not the design. I was raised as a Christian, wandered off after being "educated" at college and then began wondering why so many people smarter than me, that I knew personally could believe this rubbish. It didn't make any sense, unless what they believed was actually true. Curious, but not accidental.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:36:40 AM PDT
Amon says:
Patrick, let me say that beliefs have nothing to do with being "smarter" or "stupider." If you would have lived with a community that was largely Muslim, you would have drawn the same conclusion about Islam. If you grew up in a largely Jewish community you would have drawn the same conclusion for Judaism and so on. Beliefs are formed by one's experiences in life and the conclusion that are drawn from those experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:49:46 AM PDT
mrs exp says:
Reed N.D. Dark,
Yes it would be terrible if we all lived by the Bible. Gee, we'd have to love our neighbor as ourselves and love God with our whole being. We'd have feed the poor, help the widows and orphans. I wouldn't want to live in a world like that.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:52:52 AM PDT
J. Patrick says:
and growing up secular, of course one would be influenced in that direction. The argument is that we all throw off our primitive and erroneous influences for the obviously superior system of man working out his own destiny with intelligence, logic and of course science. The empirical evidence of historical experience argues against this and actually supports the idea that mankind is corrupt and beyond self-redemption. Others who I respect, former atheists, leading scientists, humans who showed me inexplicable kindness and sacrifice figured this out long before me, which caused me to question my flimsy belief in secular humanism.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:58:41 AM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
Just how would he quell conflict? There would always be one side that would object to how it was quelled.

Don't you understand that in the beginning we basically told God to get lost, we wanted to decide for ourselves what is right and wrong and because he is a God of love and justice, he gave us what we wanted.

Now that we have it we complain that God should step in and solve all our problems for us. Well it doesn't work that way.

Here is how it works. You read the Bible, have faith in or trust Jesus to be telling the truth. He saves you from sin and will someday bring justice to this world and their will be no more sin.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 9:00:52 AM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
What are some of these philosophies that are far superior to those of Jesus?
exp
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1197 8 days ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 9443 7 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 7493 9 minutes ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 261 17 minutes ago
Mary was not sinless. 6276 33 minutes ago
Transgender Individuals 7224 34 minutes ago
The END TIMES of ATHEISM and atheist forum bullies 293 40 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 8888 1 hour ago
Eternal life is obtained through faith in the atonement Jesus made. 4909 1 hour ago
Christianity described as a 'profitable fable' by an early pope. 85 1 hour ago
moment-of-broken-ness, part 2 9655 3 hours ago
World leaders alone - and not Religions - can call to God for the end of this era 11 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  426
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions