Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

We live in a world infected by evil

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 236 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 7:23:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:24:20 PM PST
A Customer says:
Thinking of today's horrible act of evil. Earlier I read an article by John Podhoretz, who is an observant Jew and political writer for the New York Post;

"Gehenna in Connecticut

Gehenna, a synonym for Hell, is a real place, or so the Bible tells us. You can see it today. It is a valley outside Jerusalem, the valley of the son of Hinnom, and it was where worshippers of the idol Moloch sacrificed children to sate their god's hungers.

Gehenna was revived today in Newton, Connecticut, where as many as 20 children at last report were slaughtered in an elementary school this morning.

We learn in the book of Kings that in the seventh century BCE, the prophet Jeremiah demanded that King Josiah destroy the idolator's temple in Gehenna to prevent more sacrifices to Moloch. We can presume from the newsworthiness of this act that child sacrifice was once a relatively common practice in the ancient Middle East, as we know it to have been in other pagan cultures.

The connection between the protection of children and the practice of monotheism dates back to the beginning. After Abraham becomes the first Jew, the first monotheist, he is tasked by God to sacrifice his beloved son Isaac, the miracle child of his and his wife Sarah's old age, and he takes up the task without complaint until God stays his hand. The story of Isaac's binding, the akedah, is one of the most challenging of the Bible and is often taken to mean God was testing Abraham's faith with the ultimate demand. But one might also say that at the very dawn of the worship of the One God, the Bible was placing the sacrifice of children outside the realm of the thinkable for the first time.

The idea that civilization is dedicated to the protection and preservation the weak and the innocent, and not about fulfilling evil impulses to defile and destroy innocence, is the root and core of the West. One cannot conceive of anything more monstrous than a person or persons who could look small children in the eye and systematically shoot them dead. Which is why this crime, among the worst crimes in American history, is not just an assault on the children, or their families, or the town of Newtown-though it is all those things.

What the killer(s) did today was nothing less than a contemporary sacrifice to Moloch, in whatever form Moloch manifests himself today-the appeasement of a voice in the head, most likely. Evil, even if it is loosed due to mental illness, is an effort to destroy the common good by making good appear powerless, ineffectual, weak. Today saw a horrifically effective effort to give evil a victory. It has opened a portal and brought Hell to earth.

Gehenna is real again."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:29:22 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
It was reportedly one killer and I agree with you, and with John Podhoretz, about this being a reminder that evil exists among us.

Ask any police officer. There's still plenty of evil out there on the streets.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:51:29 PM PST
What is evil?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:58:16 PM PST
A Customer says:
If you don't know that after today I pity you

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:04:02 PM PST
Seriously, I've been asking that question on here for years and have yet to get a good answer. Is it simply evil doer = harm doer or is it something else?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:07:45 PM PST
In what way does labeling a human action as evil help the problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:12:16 PM PST
A Customer says:
I don't know, maybe you should post some of your Hari Krishna lines that tell us what we're supposed to think of this horrible act.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:15:42 PM PST
I guess this means you don't have any answers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:16:42 PM PST
Horrible yes, evil no.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:52:44 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Music,
What is the difference between horrible and evil?
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:41:06 PM PST
We (as a Nation and individually) have lost the ability or the willingness to acknowledge evil. Your post typifies what is wrong and is emblematic of the very real Spiritual problem of sin and our refusal to see it.

Evil -- morally wrong or bad, immoral, wicked.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:19:44 PM PST
Personally, I think the time for semantics is gone.

Regardless of any definition of evil, there has to be a way of limiting the amount of damage an unstable person can do when they tip into a psychotic rage.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:38:12 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Shooting down children?

This guy was a new level of evil for our country.
Teachers, principles, janitors, need a side-arm.
Or, maybe campus security, like at the air/port.

A simple metal type detector that can sense
gunpowder and sound an alarm, with automatic
locking doors on all classrooms, etc.?

...sad

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:43:54 PM PST
To attribute what this individual did to evil is to give his actions an outside force that, if we can understand, we might find a way to control.

The only outside forces in operation during this horrendous occurrence were the firearms involved, everything else was coming from within.

I don't know that throwing more fire power into the mix would solve much.

With respect.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:01:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 12:04:05 AM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Grant it, you're not going to send a 10 year old to school with a weapon
for personal protection, this isn't Israel, yet.

But, in most of these cases, if you were there with a pistol at your ready,
you may have saved many lives, and eliminated a cancer on the planet.

You can't assign good or evil to a neutral thing. A gun is a tool like any other.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:16:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 12:16:55 AM PST
Oh, you edited.

I wasn't assigning "good" or "evil" to any inanimate or indeed, animate object.

I'm sure there are many who would wish that they were there to prevent this tragedy, but unfortunately, the only person who was there was an unstable person who had access to his mothers gun collection.

I understand that Americans have a love affair with their guns, but their love affair endangers everyone who doesn't share their desire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:22:47 AM PST
Why do you think he chose as his target a children's school and not an army post or police station?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:41:35 AM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Buck Buckaw says: "I'm sure there are many who would wish that they were there
to prevent this tragedy, but unfortunately, the only person who was there was an
unstable person who had access to his mothers gun collection."

GJS: Good point, his mother should have practiced better keeping; individual
trigger locks, etc. But that's to late.

Buck Buckaw: "I understand that Americans have a love affair with their guns..."

GJS: This immediately sounds biased. You hesitate to call the perpetrator 'evil', but
you want to suggest the gun owner is romantic about his weapon?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:44:13 AM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Buck Buckaw says: "Why do you think he chose as his target a children's school and not an army post or police station?"

I don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:48:57 AM PST
Biased? In what way? What am I being biased towards or about or whatever?

I don't hesitate to call the perpertrator evil, I just don't see any point in it.

What this has to do with Americas love of guns escapes me, sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:58:56 AM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Well, the use of the words "America's love affair with guns" is not the same as saying,
"Americas interest in guns", it clearly is suggestive, and selective language, especially
here, when prefacing a negative statement about guns and gun owners.

Anyway, I get your meaning and I understand your well intentions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:07:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:11:41 AM PST
For the sake of full disclosure I will tell you that I am from Australia.

A while back we had a series of gun* massacres after which our PM decided on a complete gun buy back program, and since then there has not been one gun massacre.

A short while back, two people with knives broke into my house while I was sleeping and attempted to rob me.

I managed to fight them both off and call the police.

I kid you not, one of the things that crossed my mind afterward was how different the situation might have been if I lived in America.

*Edited for spelling

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:09:15 AM PST
>>"Americas interest in guns"<<

Is "Americas fascination with guns" better?

It doesn't quite fit with the desire metephor, though.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:16:49 AM PST
G. J. Stein says:
Woe; You didn't get cut?

You know, it's a ton of responsibility owning a gun, but it becomes like a part
of your daily attire, and while you'll more than likely never shoot a person, (like most
police in their service), you never know when it may save your life or another's.

Grant it, it's not for everyone, but there is a great deal of fun involved with them too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:18:45 AM PST
dischism says:
G J

Last year, the UK had 51 related gun deaths while the US had around 32 000, nearly 9000 of those being murders. Your population is around five times that of ours, so if you had the same strict gun control measures, I'd expect around 300 deaths rather than 32 000.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  236
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions